RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

mattkuehl

Apr 8, 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6196 views)
Shortcut

Art Exhibit featuring Ice Climbing Photographs in Milwaukee WI
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been working diligently at photographing Ice Climbing this winter and will be showcasing the best of the work for a one month exhibit starting April 16 and closing May 15. The opening reception is Friday April 16th 5-10 PM during the city's Gallery Night, and is an exciting and popular attraction happening in Downtown and Third Ward area.

My photographs are presented in the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design Senior Thesis Exhibition, which features over 100 graduating senior artists who cover all disciplines and mediums. Artists will be available during the opening reception to talk about their work, and answer any questions or inquires anyone may have. It is truly a one of a kind event.

"Boreal Exposure" can be viewed at the

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
273 E. Erie St. Milwaukee, Wi. 53202

a preview of these photographs, as well as my other photographs can be viewed at

http://www.mattkuehlphoto.com

Would love to see some unfamiliar faces from the surrounding climbing community here in Wisconsin come out to see photographs of Wisconsin's own Ice Climbing destinations...

Matt Kuehl

(This post was edited by mattkuehl on Apr 8, 2010, 10:45 PM)

guangzhou

Apr 9, 2010, 6:00 AM
Post #2 of 9 (6169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattkuehl] Art Exhibit featuring Ice Climbing Photographs in Milwaukee WI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mattkuehl wrote:
I have been working diligently at photographing Ice Climbing this winter and will be showcasing the best of the work for a one month exhibit starting April 16 and closing May 15. The opening reception is Friday April 16th 5-10 PM during the city's Gallery Night, and is an exciting and popular attraction happening in Downtown and Third Ward area.

My photographs are presented in the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design Senior Thesis Exhibition, which features over 100 graduating senior artists who cover all disciplines and mediums. Artists will be available during the opening reception to talk about their work, and answer any questions or inquires anyone may have. It is truly a one of a kind event.

"Boreal Exposure" can be viewed at the

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
273 E. Erie St. Milwaukee, Wi. 53202

a preview of these photographs, as well as my other photographs can be viewed at

http://www.mattkuehlphoto.com

Would love to see some unfamiliar faces from the surrounding climbing community here in Wisconsin come out to see photographs of Wisconsin's own Ice Climbing destinations...

Matt Kuehl

Nice, good luck with the show. A lot of prep goes into them for sure.

esqueleto

Jun 14, 2010, 5:22 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattkuehl] Art Exhibit featuring Ice Climbing Photographs in Milwaukee WI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How did the show go? I just noticed on your ice shots on the web page that the rope is two different colors, is that because of ice build up or photo editing?

mattkuehl

Jun 15, 2010, 3:09 AM
Post #4 of 9 (5840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esqueleto] Art Exhibit featuring Ice Climbing Photographs in Milwaukee WI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The show went very well, lots of good discussions and interest shown about the work. Three prints got selected for an extended exhibition at MIAD which is on display until July 24th. Another one print will be displayed in the lobby of the US Bank building downtown, but the official opening and closing dates are still be decided, but of course my site will be updated as soon as I know.

The ropes are different colors simply because there were many ropes hanging, all varying in color. Most were white or bright orange while a few were black. Also there are different color plastic rope covers near the knots to protect the rope from being accidently hit by ice tools.

Thanks for taking a look, and showing interest... If you're in Milwaukee sometime I encourage you to check out the prints in person.

Matt

ScovoPhoto

Jul 6, 2010, 3:44 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice work. Love the climbing photos on your site.

sandstone

Jul 6, 2010, 4:31 PM
Post #6 of 9 (5687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mattkuehl wrote:
...there are different color plastic rope covers near the knots to protect the rope from being accidently hit by ice tools.

Matt, nice photos -- but plastic rope covers?

mattkuehl

Jul 8, 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandstone] Art Exhibit featuring Ice Climbing Photographs in Milwaukee WI [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The covers weren't my decision to make, I'm not a huge fan, but it was part of the regulations that kept The Pit open for climbing. They also don't allow leading for safety reasons because the ice is farmed in. Still really great ice climbing regardless, and I wasn't about to photoshop it into something it wasn't. Thanks for lookin!

FullertonImages

Dec 21, 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #8 of 9 (5015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice shots, Matt.

I was about to say that I really wished that the majority of the shots weren't top rope shots, but the I read the above. ^^^ Not much you can do about that if leading isn't allowed.

Cheers,
Ben

Gmburns2000

Dec 21, 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice job, Matt. Thanks for sharing!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook