Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Table Rock with 3 people
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

vabeachrocks

Apr 8, 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #1 of 14 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Table Rock with 3 people  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Table_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am headed to Table Rock in a couple of weeks and will have two other people with me. I have never been to Table Rock and am wondering how some of the multipitch stuff will be with 3 people. One of the guys is a beginner so we were planning on doing routes like Jim Dandy, My Route, The Prow, etc. How are the belay ledges on these climbs? Am I going to have a problem if I lead and then have to bring up two more people on a small belay ledge? Also, any suggestions for good easy routes to do while I am there?

(This post was edited by vabeachrocks on Apr 8, 2010, 10:49 PM)

charley

Apr 8, 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #2 of 14 (6496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vabeachrocks] Table Rock with 3 people [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We did jim dandy and cave route with three and had no problem. I don't know about the others. We did something else too but I don't remember what.

justroberto

Apr 8, 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #3 of 14 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vabeachrocks wrote:
I am headed to Table Rock in a couple of weeks and will have two other people with me. I have never been to Table Rock and am wondering how some of the multipitch stuff will be with 3 people. One of the guys is a beginner so we were planning on doing routes like Jim Dandy, My Route, The Prow, etc. How are the belay ledges on these climbs? Am I going to have a problem if I lead and then have to bring up two more people on a small belay ledge? Also, any suggestions for good easy routes to do while I am there?
Any of the easy routes like you mentioned are typically low angle enough or have pretty big belay ledges for you not to worry about having 3 people.

Also, The Prow isn't on Table - it's way down at the amphitheater. If you're headed down there, you can do The Prow, The Mummy, and The Daddy in a day if you start relatively early and move fairly quickly.

bhp

Apr 9, 2010, 2:46 AM
Post #4 of 14 (6453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone know if the road up to table rock is now open? I read somewhere that it's supposed to open in april, but last time I was there (late march) there were some very large trees down over the road.

colatownkid

Apr 9, 2010, 3:01 AM
Post #5 of 14 (6450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vabeachrocks wrote:

belay ledges at Table Rock tend to be plenty spacious. I would not be worried about a party of three. As noted above, the Prow is in the Amphitheater, not on Table Rock and is a considerable hike compared to the approach to Table Rock.

colatownkid

Apr 9, 2010, 3:01 AM
Post #6 of 14 (6448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bhp] Table Rock with 3 people [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bhp wrote:
Does anyone know if the road up to table rock is now open? I read somewhere that it's supposed to open in april, but last time I was there (late march) there were some very large trees down over the road.

Latest official word I've heard is "mid April." I'll be going there in a few days though. I'll post up what I find out.

bhp

Apr 9, 2010, 3:05 AM
Post #7 of 14 (6446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Table Rock with 3 people [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning on being there sunday and monday, it'd be nice to know if I should bring the lighter beer Tongue

colatownkid

Apr 9, 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #8 of 14 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bhp] Table Rock with 3 people [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bhp wrote:
I'm planning on being there sunday and monday, it'd be nice to know if I should bring the lighter beer Tongue

Ah...in that case the best plan is to just call them directly and ask them if it's currently open. You can reach the Grandfather Mountain Ranger District at (828) 652-2144. They're usually super friendly.

vabeachrocks

Apr 9, 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #9 of 14 (6418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Table Rock with 3 people [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I heard the hike to the Ampitheater was no fun, but that the climbs weren't as crowded there either. We are going to try and get an early start so hopefully we can get on some of the mixed routes before other people show up.

justroberto

Apr 9, 2010, 3:00 PM
Post #10 of 14 (6393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a pretty mellow hike in (less than a mile and a half) from Table, it's just that the descent gully is kind of steep and loose. The smart thing is definitely to pack light and walk off the top at the end of the day. Climbing the Prow to get out may actually be easier, and certainly more fun, than hiking back up the gully.

jpetsch123

Apr 9, 2010, 3:36 PM
Post #11 of 14 (6385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was up there last weekend, and the road is still closed. By the way, every climb I've done in the area I've done with 3 people at some point, so you'll be fine. Call ahead to see if the road's closed, but if it is, don't be scared, it's not far. Just pack lighter.

Partner oldsalt

Jun 22, 2010, 9:08 PM
Post #12 of 14 (6208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jpetsch123] Table Rock with 3 people [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone know if the gate is open to the picnic area? I know that there has been some kind of construction work and that they were still closed in April.

chezdillon

Jun 24, 2010, 1:04 PM
Post #13 of 14 (6167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Table Rock with 3 people [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was open when I was up there four weeks ago.

- Jeff

clemsonscooby

Jun 24, 2010, 7:54 PM
Post #14 of 14 (6149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Table Rock with 3 people [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We were there last weekend. The gate is open and the road is cleared. Its been that way since April. Luckily it didn't damage the road when the tree and rocks fell.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook