Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

karmiclimber

Apr 13, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #1 of 27 (3367 views)
Shortcut

New waterproof jacket?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've had a waterproof from Arcteryx for about 9 years now. It has been awesome, but I went for a run in the rain a couple of days ago and the waterproofing is pretty much nonexistent now. Anyone have any good recommendations? I feel a little overwhelmed with all of the choices...

tomtom

Apr 13, 2010, 4:13 PM
Post #2 of 27 (3340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wash it, spray it, dry it.

Good as new.

karmiclimber

Apr 13, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #3 of 27 (3304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah but that stuff doesn't last long anymore.

Wunderkind

Apr 13, 2010, 5:34 PM
Post #4 of 27 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of jacket are you looking for? Rain Shell? Insulated? Soft Shell? Winter Shell?

Need more info...

karmiclimber

Apr 13, 2010, 6:59 PM
Post #5 of 27 (3243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wunderkind] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hard shell, no extra insulation. Basically I just want to replace my old Arc Teryx, which I think (but can no longer determine, because the tag has magical disappearing ink after being worn for 9 years) was a Theta SL. I don't know. If I post pics of it, will someone be able to tell me what it is?

Wunderkind

Apr 13, 2010, 7:01 PM
Post #6 of 27 (3237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I can identify it for you if you put up a pic. I'll send some ideas over as well, and check your pm in a bit.

xaniel2000

Apr 14, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #7 of 27 (3136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're willing to spend ~$300, a jacket made with eVENT fabric will keep you dry and breathe better than Gore-Tex.

karmiclimber

Apr 14, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #8 of 27 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xaniel2000] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is eVENT fabric? I've been super happy with my ArcTeryx...I know there was some hoopla about ArcTeryx being in contract with Gore and therefore unable to use the newer, better waterproof fabrics.

shoo

Apr 14, 2010, 2:16 PM
Post #9 of 27 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

eVent is basically the only goretex competitor out there. It has shown to be more breathable and just as waterproof as pro-shell in most lab tests. However, there is a significant lack of field and durability data out there. That isn't to say that it isn't better or worse, but there just isn't anything out there that says so.

clc

Apr 14, 2010, 4:16 PM
Post #10 of 27 (3108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eVent has been around for years and its less expensive than gore-tex

http://www.eventfabrics.com/

karmiclimber

Apr 14, 2010, 4:16 PM
Post #11 of 27 (3107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a link to my blog post with pictures of the old Arc Teryx. I honestly don't even know if its a men's or women's, but I would like to get as similar a jacket as possible...

http://beautyandbiners.blogspot.com/...ryx-jacket-isnt.html

k.l.k

Apr 14, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #12 of 27 (3099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yr jacket is water resistant because it has a plastic membrane embedded between other layers of fabric. That membrane degrades from dirt, oil, and abrasion. If washing the jacket didn't make it better, it's done.

The NikWax, Revive stuff, works on a different sort of fabric, one that has had a chemical treatment coat the individual threads before the fabric is woven rather than a membrane. The re-treatments usually work best on that sort of fabric (usually a softshell).

But all those fabrics wear out. If you liked Arc T 'cuz its designy and sporty lookin, and you can afford the luxury brand pricing, just buy another one.

karmiclimber

Apr 14, 2010, 4:25 PM
Post #13 of 27 (3095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to. But I want the same one that I had last time. But the problem is I don't know which one I had, because I bought it nine years ago before I became a gear whore, so wunderkind was going to help me ID it. Thanks.

Wunderkind

Apr 14, 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #14 of 27 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a previous version of the Alpha Jacket. The closest thing they are making to that jacket right now is the Alpha SL.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Arcteryx-Alpha-SL-Jacket-Womens/ARC0104M.html

There are a few colors out there that aren't on the link above as well.

karmiclimber

Apr 14, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #15 of 27 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yay! Thank you. That's what I'm getting then

Wunderkind

Apr 14, 2010, 4:48 PM
Post #16 of 27 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only thing to remember is that SL stands for superlight, and the Alpha SL fabrics have definately lightened up over the years. So the SL will require being a bit more careful than an Alpha AR (all around). The differences are minimal, but probably worth poking through the lineup to be sure you're getting exactly what you want if you're going to drop the big bucks for an Arc'teryx piece.

karmiclimber

Apr 14, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #17 of 27 (3064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gotcha. So the ar is sturdier? Does it come in lime green cause that is the color I was wanting. Is the ar lined? Will it last longer?

Wunderkind

Apr 14, 2010, 4:58 PM
Post #18 of 27 (3057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Womens/Jackets/Alpha-SV-Jacket-W

Just get the SV if color is important - it's both light and sturdy.

Also, none of them are lined - they all are 3 layer gore tex barriers with a proshell backing on them - but not lined like a soft fleecy lining or anything.

shoo

Apr 14, 2010, 5:24 PM
Post #19 of 27 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
gotcha. So the ar is sturdier? Does it come in lime green cause that is the color I was wanting. Is the ar lined? Will it last longer?

If only there were some kind of web location you could go to that would answer all of those questions. . .

karmiclimber

Apr 14, 2010, 5:37 PM
Post #20 of 27 (3034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL sorry, I was on my cell phone out running errands. Wunderkind said he would help me and I had questions. Geeze!

karmiclimber

Apr 14, 2010, 5:50 PM
Post #21 of 27 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What exactly is the difference between the Beta and the Alpha? I really think this is a legitimate question btw. No powder skirt?
I think I want this one:
http://www.backcountry.com/...Womens/ARC0114M.html

Wunderkind

Apr 14, 2010, 6:19 PM
Post #22 of 27 (3008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Alpha Jackets are about 1.5 inches longer on the bottom hem. The Alpha Jackets are both a bit lighter because of the face fabric, with the Alpha LT being the more durable/breathable of the two, due to the use of Gore Pro-Shell vs. Paclight. That and no powder skirt.

karmiclimber

Apr 14, 2010, 6:23 PM
Post #23 of 27 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay. I will go with the Alpha then. Even though I look terrible in wisteria blue. At least I will be dry and happy.

hafilax

Apr 14, 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #24 of 27 (2997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
Yr jacket is water resistant because it has a plastic membrane embedded between other layers of fabric. That membrane degrades from dirt, oil, and abrasion. If washing the jacket didn't make it better, it's done.

The NikWax, Revive stuff, works on a different sort of fabric, one that has had a chemical treatment coat the individual threads before the fabric is woven rather than a membrane. The re-treatments usually work best on that sort of fabric (usually a softshell).

But all those fabrics wear out. If you liked Arc T 'cuz its designy and sporty lookin, and you can afford the luxury brand pricing, just buy another one.
That's not quite true. Membrane jackets still need a functioning DWR on the outer in order to breathe properly. Water can't get out through the membrane of the outer fabric if fully wetted out. The membrane will keep you dry from the outside but sweat won't get out.

You don't always have to apply a new DWR to refresh it. Washing with a non-detergent and drying hot will often be enough. When that doesn't work any more then it needs a new application. Nikwax is old technology IMO and not as good as Grainger's and ReviveX.

Pilling and abrasion work against the DWR. Eventually the seam tapes and membrane delaminate. If you paid full price for your Arc'teryx it might still be under warranty. I know people that are on their 3rd jacket over the span of 12 or so years.

k.l.k

Apr 14, 2010, 6:56 PM
Post #25 of 27 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] New waterproof jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
k.l.k wrote:

That's not quite true. Membrane jackets still need a functioning DWR on the outer in order to breathe properly. Water can't get out through the membrane of the outer fabric if fully wetted out. The membrane will keep you dry from the outside but sweat won't get out.

You don't always have to apply a new DWR to refresh it. Washing with a non-detergent and drying hot will often be enough. When that doesn't work any more then it needs a new application. Nikwax is old technology IMO and not as good as Grainger's and ReviveX.

Pilling and abrasion work against the DWR. Eventually the seam tapes and membrane delaminate. If you paid full price for your Arc'teryx it might still be under warranty. I know people that are on their 3rd jacket over the span of 12 or so years.

If I'd given the full tech lecture, no one would've read it.

Personally, I never wear any of the membrane fabrics if I'm on the move, unless it's in a campground or the grocery store parking lot.

The marketing of tech apparel is frickin terrible, in large measure because Gore-- and some of the other big proprietors --prevent folks from actually comparing the products one to another. Most folks I meet (and this even includes some of the sponsored athletes) have no frickin idea how these things are supposed to work, what the differences are between them, etc.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook