Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Table Rock bolts
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bhp

Apr 13, 2010, 4:47 PM
Post #1 of 2 (788 views)
Shortcut

Table Rock bolts  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Table_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing at table rock a handful of times now and have noticed some bolts of extremely questionable quality. On Jim Dandy and Cave Route there are some extremely rusty bolts, many spinners, and occasionally, a mint condition petzl.

Several of the belay stations have fixe stainless rap rings, but with an extremely rusty looking stud on at least one of the hangers. Clearly these are dissimilar metals and it would seem that galvanic corrosion is accelerating aging of the (wedge bolt?) anchor.

On the third pitch of Cave Route, a lichen-covered variation off to the right of the normal line has several 1/4" buttonheads on Leeper hangers.

Is there any effort underway to replace any of the bolts on table rock? I'm willing to put some time and money into improving the situation but I don't want to incur anyone's wrath for failing to follow local bolting ethics.

Just to be clear, I'm not proposing any additional bolts, but I think that poor-quality bolts should probably either be removed or replaced; as it stands they may be more of a hazard than anything.

I'm just looking for input from the community before I go out and buy a bunch of bolts and get crackin.

Thanks

csproul

Apr 14, 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #2 of 2 (737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bhp] Table Rock bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is a re-bolting thread on the CCC website, where people can bring up bolts that need replacing. I think this is being collected in a centralized database to help to decide where the CCC will be placing its resources. I'd bring it up there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook