RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

tallgirl

Apr 12, 2010, 8:24 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3976 views)
Shortcut

Gear sling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My metolius gear sling gives me a pretty bad rash on my neck. The padding doesn't always stay where it's supposed to and just by virtue of placing gear it slides around. I've washed it with different kinds of soap but the problem persists.
Any one have any sage advice besides cortisone cream?

Dana

wonderwoman

Apr 12, 2010, 8:39 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallgirl] Gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you thought of racking on your harness? I just started doing that last season, and find it a lot more comfortable and convenient.

No advice on cream, though. Sorry!

tallgirl

Apr 12, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really don't like racking on my harness, I find it clunky and difficult to see my feet. Also, for long routes, which I absolutely love, it's hard to change over.
thanks though.

chadnsc

Apr 12, 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't help with the gear sling or the rash you're experiencing but I can recommend the Metolius big wall multi loop gear sling. It wears like a little backpack and I personally love it. I love it so much that I wear it on single pitch routes. Tongue

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/...wall_gear_sling.html

petsfed

Apr 12, 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try a different gear sling? I've always used a polar-fleece padded one and its never given me grief. I think metolius uses a weird grid pattern padding, so the extra texture might be the cause of rash.

clausti

Apr 13, 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Try a different gear sling? I've always used a polar-fleece padded one and its never given me grief. I think metolius uses a weird grid pattern padding, so the extra texture might be the cause of rash.

ditto this (misty mountain makes nice gear slings) or just sew some fleece around the one you've already got.

or wear a bandanna around your neck?

i gotta say, though, i hate trying to lead with a gear sling. harness racking all the way.

smallclimber

Apr 13, 2010, 4:22 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd agree with Clausti that it might be worth trying again with racking on your harness, it keeps things from sliding around and your hips/legs have the strongest muscles and its better to have the weight resting there rather than on your shoulders.

iamthewallress

Apr 14, 2010, 5:15 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On long routes where my butt is one of the parts of my body that I use to grip the rock, a sling is essential for keeping gear from getting between my butt and the rock.

I prefer shorter slings w/ no sub-loops b/c it's easier to heave it all out of the way or pull a rear peice nearer as needed.

Harness racking is good for face climbs where the sling can end up dangling in front.

The metolious slings are made of a really stiff harness-like material. Not a fan. They're also sized too big for me, but maybe that's not a problem, if you're tall as the name suggests.

FISH and Yates make slings w/ fleece or furry padding and softer webbing. You might even be able to make a special request.

mom2boys

Apr 30, 2010, 4:27 AM
Post #9 of 9 (3739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for the polar fleece. I'm not familiar with your gear sling but the fleece on mine has always kept it comfortable. It rarely spins on my neck. I did have a mole removed from my neck where the sling would rub it, but that probably isn't much like your situation.

I know what you mean about harness racking, I rack both ways and am always open to whatever suits the climb. A sling can't be beat on some routes.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook