RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

clausti

Apr 14, 2010, 3:40 PM
Post #1 of 14 (7225 views)
Shortcut

Mirena thread, again.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"DO A SEARCH NOOB"

ok, so i went back and reread all the threads that hit in here for the mirena IUD that we've had before, but I'm seriously considering thinking about it again, and I wanted to troll for more opinions, mostly of anybody who had it inserted but hasn't ever had kids. i have a friend, who does have kids, who just went from a pill to the mirena and she's been raving about it, so i'm intrigued again, but scared of getting it put in.

i went and looked up the actual formulations for the progesterone analog that they use in mirena versus what i take now (nordette/portia) and it's the same. it's a second-generation pill formulation, *different* than what they put in yaz, ect, so i'm thinking that the "weight gain/acne" androgenic effects can't possibly be worse than what i'm taking now, as it's the same hormone in a way, way, smaller dose (20mcg/daily vs 150). and i've liked this formulation better than the newer ones i've tried; for me, there is just generally less mood-related side effects.

but what i'm more interested in is what, specifically, did your doctor do to alleviate the pain of insertion, esp if you've never had kids? my gyno is perfectly willing to do the IUD, kids or no kids, but i haven't talked seriously with her about what it will entail.

did you get your cervix dilated or did they just shove it in? did they numb the cervix in any way? did you get any prescription oral pain killers to take before insertion or for cramping afterwards? reading on the internet i've heard everything from "no pain meds and no dilation i thought i was gonna die" to codine, local block, and mild cramps, it was fine.

and finally, anybody had it, kids or not, who has a retroverted uterus? mine is, apparently, not in there in a totally normal orientation and i wonder if it makes a difference?

haleymay

Apr 14, 2010, 6:56 PM
Post #2 of 14 (7211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Mirena thread, again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I have the Mirena and I LOVE it. I have 2 kids though, so my situation is slightly different. But I used to work in OB/GYN years ago before I had kids so I hope I some useful info for you. As far as the hormones causing weight gain/mood swings/the usual... its different for everyone. I personally have not had any adverse hormonal side effects from the mirena, but I have heard some women complain of serious ones. You'll never know until you get it put in.

As far as the pain of the procedure if you take some tylenol beforehand and afterwards take 800 mg ibuprofen (4 advil) every 4 hrs that will help. I never really had any substancial pain with mine. Some mild cramping afterward but not anything advil didn't help. The most painful part for me was when they clamp on to the cervix to hold it still and it was a hard pinch. And as far as the insertion itself, seeing as you never had kids they may have to dilate your cervix but they won't know right until they try. If they do its not really a big deal, the tool they'll use is kinda like a plastic white chopstick looking thing. Very narrow at the tip and gradually wider. They usually don't numb the cervix itself for this procedure, but theres always the exception depending on the persons pain tolerance. And I have heard doctors say that if you go in during your period (not during heavy flow though) that the cervix is slightly widened makiing insertion easier. But not sure how your doc feels about that.

And as far as the tilted uterus... I know it could make a difference depending on how far tilted it is. If your doc thinks its a problem they'll let you know. And if you have more questions, call your Dr.'s office and speak with his nurse. They are used to questions like yours and will be more than happy to help you. Good luck!

(This post was edited by haleymay on Apr 19, 2010, 5:07 AM)

analine

Apr 19, 2010, 2:33 AM
Post #3 of 14 (7154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the mirena IUD put in about 3 months ago and I've never been pregnant. I took 800mg Advil about an hour beforehand and it was basically fine. It hurt somewhat for a few minutes and really bad for about 20s. The doctor who put it in was very experienced with inserting them, so it's possible that made it better/faster. For the first 20 minutes afterward I felt great, but then I got pretty crampy. I took the rest of the day off work and basically laid around and watched movies. I worked the next day, but it took me a week or so to feel completely normal. Everyday was a bit better than the previous.

I was on a pretty typical pill before and was starting to get menstruation associated headaches. It's definitely helped with that. I used to have basically no cramping and almost no period when I was on the pill. It took about 2 months (first month no bleeding/spotting, second month was pretty constant spotting... pretty annoying) until I felt like I was regulated to the IUD. I'm really happy with it now. I fully recommend it. I was nervous too about the no pregnancy thing, but it definitely wasn't a problem.

jsh

Apr 23, 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #4 of 14 (7064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm answering this question despite myself (I think you know what I mean).

The device ends up being T-shaped in your uterus, but for insertion, the arms of the T are pinned/wrapped to the trunk of the T (or housed within a sheath that's pulled back away). So it goes thru the cervix in a straight cylinder that's maybe 1/4" in diameter, and then it gets basically un-sprung in your uterus to the final T shape. A fine thread remains hanging through your cervix, for later removal.

The doc I saw basically said I should expect it to feel like a Pap smear. As you've read before (I should restate here that I have no kids), it was significantly more painful for me, and I'm glad you're doing some footwork on this before the fact. I talked about innervated cervixes later with my own doc, and she said that while they could technically inject Novacain or something similar, that injection itself would be about as painful as the insertion, so no real benefit. The insertion is fast, at least - less than a minute.

I was dilated, and they'd told me 800 mg of ibuprofin, which I did. If I had to do it again, I'd (at least) get there loaded up with something prescription, that's for sure. And make sure you've got a supply at home. Don't rely on the gyno to solve your pain.

I think there probably aren't many uteri out there that are perfectly aligned, but it's a good thing to have your gyno aware of, as perforation would be suboptimal.

I think you know as well as anyone that hormones are so very individual, so there's nothing I can add there; but it sounds like you have good reasons for your choices.

Hope that's helpful. I hope it works for you, and good luck.

(This post was edited by jsh on Apr 23, 2010, 12:18 AM)

jedasmith

Apr 23, 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #5 of 14 (7056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had a child (like a million years ago), but I do have a tilted uterus. When I had the mirena put in, my midwife prescribed something to make me dilate (I forget what, sorry). I also took some advil beforehand. All that said, the insertion was not a walk in the park, but it was not the worst either. It hurt just for the actual insertion-- a couple minutes at the most (they did have to play around a bit with the placement). Once it was in, I had mild, period-like cramping for the remainder of the day (nothing advil couldn't keep at bay). For me the bigger issue was that the progesterone made me CRAZY! It seems as though that will not be an issue for you though. I actually had it removed and had a copper IUD put in. I have been delighted with the new one!

aerili

Apr 30, 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #6 of 14 (6950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jedasmith] Mirena thread, again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Jeda, I am thinking of getting an IUD also and I have one friend with a copper IUD and one with a Mirena...they each advocate for the one they use. Which leaves me confused and uncertain.

Can you give me any more info on the differences between them? I know it all depends on the individual in terms of how they will respond to each, and I've also researched it online (which only elicits all the horror stories of each), but I find it hard to figure out what could be best for me to try despite all this.

Any drawbacks you've found with the copper vs the Mirena (hormones making you crazy notwithstanding?).

haleymay

Apr 30, 2010, 8:14 PM
Post #7 of 14 (6938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Mirena thread, again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The main difference is the hormones (and lack of hormones in copper iud) and the length of time they can be in (mirena - 5 yrs, copper - 10 yrs).

jedasmith

May 1, 2010, 8:25 PM
Post #8 of 14 (6911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aerili--

For me those hormones were the main difference. The insertion and the actual devices themselves were pretty much the same. I just found that my body did not react well to the hormones (which should not have been a shocker since BC pills do no agree with me either). Sorry to not be more helpful. Feel free to pm me and I can give you my cell if you want to talk.

aerili

May 4, 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #9 of 14 (6872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I realize one has hormones and one does not. I've read of some women having issues with the copper in the Paraguard, however (not sure how scientific their 'copper toxicity' claims were though), plus also a very looong period of adjustment during which much heavier bleeding/cramps occurred (something I've never really had to deal with and don't want to now)--as compared to Mirena.

The last time I tried to go back on BCP, I didn't tolerate either kind well (despite the fact I used one of the two for years previously with no problems). Not sure which hormone component gave me problems with each, though. I guess I should try to figure it out before making a decision. I would not relish the prospect of having to go through two rounds.

jedasmith

May 4, 2010, 1:37 AM
Post #10 of 14 (6864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aerili-
I have NO issues with the copper thing (although everyone is different of course). I also took no longer to adjust to the Paraguard than I did the Mirena. My periods are pretty much the same as my pre-iud ones. Honestly-- I do not notice it ever. I feel like I did when I was not on birth control.

Good luck. It is such a big decision-- financially as well as the pain factor. If I can be of further assistance, just holler.

clee03m

May 5, 2010, 4:36 AM
Post #11 of 14 (6810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't insurance cover it? I've been playing around with the idea of iuds as well

jedasmith

May 5, 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #12 of 14 (6797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Mirena thread, again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My insurance did not cover mine...

oooeese

Aug 1, 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #13 of 14 (6236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi :) I'm 20, and had the mirena put in a month or 2 ago. Never had kids. I got a lidocane injection from my dr when it was inserted, but that didnt help the cramping! it just feels like really bad period cramps (something i'm all too familiar with), that got milder and milder over a couple of days. I swapped from the pill, because i have had a few hormonal problems and the hormones in the mirena are mainly localised. It's been great! I had 1 period after it was insterted now i just get a little twinge in my stomach every month and thats it!
I would reccomend it to anyone!
I will just say that the mirena is a bit bigger than the copper coil so it does cause more cramping. But totally worth it because the copper causes heavier periods. bleh.
Hope this helps :)

jsh

Aug 20, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #14 of 14 (5996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clausti, if you're out there, did you get it? How did/does it work for you?

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook