Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

shotwell

Apr 17, 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #1 of 77 (25154 views)
Shortcut

Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Today at the Darkside, RRG, a climber, first name of Mike, decked from approximately 30 feet. I came over from Solar Collector to assist with the rescue and participated in the litter crew.

I'm not qualified to discuss the specific trauma of the accident, though others who were on scene certainly are. All I feel comfortable saying is that I know the climber was alive when we arrived at the ambulance.

Please, to anyone who was an eyewitness to the accident or knows what happened to Mike from the point he entered the ambulance, let me know what happened.

I would like to thank all my fellow climbers who assisted in getting him out of there. The terrain is rugged for a litter carry and several of us had just done a lot of running to make sure the required equipment got there in a timely fashion. A large number of climbers were involved in this rescue. Thank you to the paramedics and the rescue crew as well.

My thoughts go out to Mike, his family, and the people he was climbing with. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

asfoundry

Apr 18, 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #2 of 77 (24957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

It's hard getting information, but Mike made it through the night. He's in critical, but stable condition. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=102981189744771

yodadave

Apr 18, 2010, 1:05 PM
Post #3 of 77 (24930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asfoundry] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

http://www.facebook.com/...?gid=102981189744771

hopes and prayers

asfoundry

Apr 18, 2010, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 77 (24825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

Thank you everyone that helped with the recue on Saturday!

moose_droppings

Apr 18, 2010, 4:25 PM
Post #5 of 77 (24745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hoping for the best and speedy outcome.

lena_chita

Apr 19, 2010, 3:27 AM
Post #6 of 77 (24385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

We were at the hospital this afternoon, but there were no new developments. Keep Mike in your thoughts...

He was lucky (if such term could be used...), that there were so many people on the scene to help out with the rescue.

majid_sabet

Apr 19, 2010, 4:23 AM
Post #7 of 77 (24351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  

Can anyone tell us what happen there?

Thanks

clausti

Apr 19, 2010, 1:18 PM
Post #8 of 77 (24174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Thanks

the link to facebook above has all of the info currently publicly available.

dreday3000

Apr 19, 2010, 2:30 PM
Post #9 of 77 (24072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

Mike is a good dude. All the best for a speedy recovery.

Partner camhead

Apr 19, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #10 of 77 (24010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  

majid_sabet wrote:

Thanks

no.

clausti

Apr 19, 2010, 3:34 PM
Post #11 of 77 (23943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

i also wanted to add that my best thoughts and strongest hopes go out mike and his family for a speedy recovery. and my thanks to the climbers that were there to run info and equipment and carry mike down. it takes many hands to do that.

edge

Apr 19, 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #12 of 77 (23836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

clausti wrote:
i also wanted to add that my best thoughts and strongest hopes go out mike and his family for a speedy recovery. and my thanks to the climbers that were there to run info and equipment and carry mike down. it takes many hands to do that.

Well said. My thoughts and prayers are with this climber for a speedy recovery.

Partner macherry

Apr 19, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #13 of 77 (23794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

edge wrote:
clausti wrote:

Well said. My thoughts and prayers are with this climber for a speedy recovery.

i'll add my thoughts and prayers too!! here's hoping for a speedy recovery

klinich615

Apr 20, 2010, 5:19 PM
Post #14 of 77 (23298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I am a close friend of Mike, we graduated high school together and began climbing together. Many of us are frustrated and puzzled because we do not know what went wrong and led Mike to where he is now: in critical condition. Mike is a very safe, experienced and calculated climber who does not take unnecessary risks.

Is there anyone out there who was on-site or witnessed the accident? Any information would help greatly. Thank you all for your help on-site, thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes for Mike and his recovery.

boymeetsrock

Apr 20, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #15 of 77 (23287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [klinich615] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

Best wishes for a full recovery. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

onrockandice

Apr 21, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #16 of 77 (23054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

This forum and this thread seem to be less obfuscated than that facebook page. There is some noise but it's mosly people putting together what happened.

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/...p;highlight=accident

lena_chita

Apr 21, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #17 of 77 (22912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onrockandice] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  

onrockandice wrote:
This forum and this thread seem to be less obfuscated than that facebook page. There is some noise but it's mosly people putting together what happened.

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/...p;highlight=accident

Please consider the wishes of Mike's family that were clearly stated on the facebook page.

The do have a good idea of what happened, they have talked to the belayer, they had climbers who were there and who are still helping out at the hospital explain the inherent risks of climbing to them, and how much climbing meant to Mike.

They do not want this discussed all over the place, they do not want the blame assigned, etc. etc. They cannot silence everyone, but they have asked for it, and we can respect their wishes.

None of it would help Mike.

I am sure there would be a full report eventually, but right now people who were/are closely involved have other priorities.

And as far as the armchair analysts' need to "understand what happened"-- well, it is quite simple, really. There are only so many ways you can mess up a system, and you already know about all of them.

Accidents like that have happened before, and will likely happen again, this wasn't a novel way of system failure, there is nothing new to learn.

Every climber and belayer already knows that safety is vitally important, and every climber and belayer could probably do a better job at being safe than they are currently doing. That means you, me, and everyone else.

Partner camhead

Apr 21, 2010, 3:18 PM
Post #18 of 77 (22890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

very well put, Lena.

patto

Apr 21, 2010, 4:11 PM
Post #19 of 77 (22823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

lena_chita wrote:
And as far as the armchair analysts' need to "understand what happened"-- well, it is quite simple, really. There are only so many ways you can mess up a system, and you already know about all of them.

Accidents like that have happened before, and will likely happen again, this wasn't a novel way of system failure, there is nothing new to learn.

Every climber and belayer already knows that safety is vitally important, and every climber and belayer could probably do a better job at being safe than they are currently doing. That means you, me, and everyone else.

While nobody has the right to demand information. I see little reason in complaining about speculation and discussion when all this could be simply ended.

Just say:
belay failure
clipping failure
tying-in failure
harness failure
rope failure

And all speculation will stop. (well actually the bottom two would probably start intense discussion, but I presume neither correct.)

Partner camhead

Apr 21, 2010, 4:17 PM
Post #20 of 77 (22801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  

patto wrote:
Just say:
belay failure
clipping failure
tying-in failure
harness failure
rope failure

And all speculation will stop.

All speculation will stop? Your naivety about how people on this site act is astounding.

jefffski

Apr 21, 2010, 7:01 PM
Post #22 of 77 (22611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  

While I respect the family's need to get past this event, they also need to understand our needs. Whenever there is an accident, many of us think "That could have been me. How can I make sure that it won't happen to me."

For many of us, this is our motivation. If anything can be gained from this person's injuries, it may be to prevent it happening to someone else.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

clausti

Apr 21, 2010, 7:21 PM
Post #23 of 77 (22570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jefffski] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  

jefffski wrote:
While I respect the family's need to get past this event, they also need to understand our needs. Whenever there is an accident, many of us think "That could have been me. How can I make sure that it won't happen to me."

For many of us, this is our motivation. If anything can be gained from this person's injuries, it may be to prevent it happening to someone else.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

for information on what you can learn from this accident, please see here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2322534#2322534

caughtinside

Apr 21, 2010, 7:22 PM
Post #24 of 77 (22557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jefffski] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  

jefffski wrote:
While I respect the family's need to get past this event, they also need to understand our needs.

I don't think they need to understand your need at all. If and when they choose to do so, it can be after a reasonable period of time. You've managed so far, you might survive a few more climbing trips without having to know right now what happened.

wonderwoman

Apr 21, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #25 of 77 (22530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Request for information, re. ground fall accident @ Darkside, RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post

Agreed. Answers never come that quickly after an accident. I am willing to bet that there are many people trying to process and analyze things right now. Give it some time and things will surface. But there is never an automatic print out of the event whenever something terrible like this happens to a climber. Give it time.

My thoughts go out to Mike, his family and his belayer. He sounds like a well loved and strong guy. Here is to him pulling through. I am always so sorry to read about things like this, but also know that people in Mike's situation can make it through amazing odds.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook