RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

vishnuepie

Nov 8, 2001, 6:02 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

getting back strength
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

does strength come back quicker (like after you took a really long break), than it did to get in the first place?

thumper

Nov 12, 2001, 6:16 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

getting back strength [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on your overall condition and the lenght of the break. Nicer general answer for your non-specific question.

vishnuepie

Nov 12, 2001, 7:52 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well how about a two month break. also do u lose any strength after a one month break?

mountainmike

Nov 12, 2001, 8:00 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read on article yesterday that talked about this. . . but I don't remember where. It was either in "muscle and fitness" or on www.cyberpump.com . And based on that article and probably some of my own opionins I would say that you can lose strength in a month and that it is easier to regain strength than it is to get it. Good luck training.

Michael

P.S.
If it was on cyberpump then it would have been in the "H.I.T." article. It is really long but has some great info and ideas.

talons05

Nov 12, 2001, 8:02 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If "taking a break" means that you stop climbing and just go sit on your duff watching t.v. and eating greasy chips, then of course you are going to be weak and pathetic. If you are talking about only taking a break from climbing, and still keep a fairly active lifestyle, then you don't have to worry about much...

AW

thumper

Nov 13, 2001, 5:04 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, then here's your answer from the fitness guru. It depends on your initial fitness level. If you've spent 10 years on the couch and 1 month in the gym, don't worry about losing strength because you haven't truly gained any yet.

If you are in reasonably good shape and work out often, you can generally take about a 2 week break without actually losing strength. You WILL feel weaker when you go back to the gym because you will have lost some muscle memory. Which incidentally is all you will typically gain in the first 4-6 weeks of beginning to work out. Sorry guys, it's the truth.

After 3 weeks, again typically, you will be losing actual muscle strength. Your muscle fibers will have begun to atrophy.

It will typically (I like this word) take 1.5 times the length of the break taken to rebuild back to your previous fitness level. So 1 month off, about 6 weeks to get back. Until you get to your base fitness level of couch potato grand master of the remote control. Once you get to this point, you might as well take another month just to enjoy yourself. Eat some icecream, drink some beer.

Fortunately, assuming you are in good shape before taking the break you will not automatically revert to a tub-o-lard. So you will still be in better shape after the break than you were before you started working out.

Hope this helps,

Flames or ?'s are always welcome, email or otherwise.

greatgarbanzo

Nov 13, 2001, 9:12 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY CHECK MY ARTICLE!!!!

biff

Nov 13, 2001, 11:02 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine took about 6 weeks off of climbing. we usually boulder at our Univeristy wall about once a week. The first time back he feet were kicking all over the wall looking for footholds, his legs and hands were shaking like krazie and his forearms were spent after he tried our regular warm up traverese. The next week he was fine and at about 90% of where he was before he took a break. He is generally quite fit and 24 years old. I konw it takes my dad alot longer to get into waterskiing in the spring than it used to so if you are starting to get older (40+) it will probably take you a couple more weeks to get back into shape.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook