Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

USnavy

Apr 24, 2010, 6:45 AM
Post #1 of 19 (4323 views)
Shortcut

Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a Yates Shield that I want to use for my next big wall trip. However I don't like the fact that it only has one belay loop. I would like to have it replaced with two belay loops. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that would be willing to do this?

shimanilami

Apr 24, 2010, 6:58 AM
Post #2 of 19 (4317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you tried Yates?

I'll save you the trouble. They won't do it and will advise you that it's a bad idea. The problem is that their tie in points are not made to withstand the forces that might be generated if the two belay loops are pulled in opposite directions. They'll also tell you the Metolius harness suffers the same risk.

This said, they're obviously covering their ass. If you're careful to avoid this situation, I would seem safe. You might try Larry at Mountain Tools. Or you might try girth hitching through your tie-in points instead of your belay loop.

yodadave

Apr 24, 2010, 4:09 PM
Post #3 of 19 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First why do you need two?

I would try Misty Mountain or OnRope1
but I really can't think why it would be necessary?

acorneau

Apr 24, 2010, 5:13 PM
Post #4 of 19 (4223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I have a Yates Shield that I want to use for my next big wall trip. However I don't like the fact that it only has one belay loop. I would like to have it replaced with two belay loops. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that would be willing to do this?

I won't ask why you want to replace one belay loop with two new loops instead just adding one new loop, but whatever... Wink

I'm sure some of the manufacturers, like Misty, would a second belay loop on a newly-ordered harness but I doubt any would put a new loop on an "old" one. Liability and all that.

[edit for clarity]

(This post was edited by acorneau on Apr 24, 2010, 5:39 PM)

USnavy

Apr 24, 2010, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 19 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
USnavy wrote:

I won't ask why you want to replace one belay loop with two new loops instead just adding one new loop, but whatever... Wink

I'm sure some of the manufacturers, like Misty, would a second belay loop on a newly-ordered harness but I doubt any would put a new loop on an "old" one. Liability and all that.

[edit for clarity]
Well my Shield looks new, its only been used a few times. I want to replace the loops instead of add one because I dont want the stock 1" brown loop with some Petzl 3/8" green dyneema one. That would look dumb. Laugh They both need to be the same. :)

altelis

Apr 24, 2010, 5:46 PM
Post #6 of 19 (4207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
acorneau wrote:
USnavy wrote:

[edit for clarity]
Well my Shield looks new, its only been used a few times. I want to replace the loops instead of add one because I dont want the stock 1" brown loop with some Petzl 3/8" green dyneema one. That would look dumb. Laugh They both need to be the same. :)

Seems if you actually wanted TWO belay loops it would be easier if they WEREN'T the same color....

If you are looking to backup your belay loop there are much quicker/cheaper alternatives than having one sewn on....

grahamh

Apr 25, 2010, 2:04 PM
Post #7 of 19 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any outdoor store that sews new webbing on cams, and many do, could do this. Just make a few calls to your local climbing shops.

jeepnphreak

Apr 25, 2010, 6:00 PM
Post #8 of 19 (4073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

It might be easier to look at the BD "big gun" it already hase two belay loops. Instead of modifying a harness that has not been desigened fot two for what ever reason. jut get on that already has two loops and for go the hastle of modifying you current harness. Just my 2 cents

USnavy

Apr 26, 2010, 7:24 AM
Post #9 of 19 (4005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I already own the Big Gun, I use it for multi-pitch free climbing. However contrary to BD's advertising, its not a big wall aid harness, it’s not that comfortable or reinforced. The Shield however is well suited for big walls which why I would like two belay loops on it. Smile

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 26, 2010, 7:25 AM)

dugl33

Apr 26, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #10 of 19 (3942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Yates will do it for you. I suggest you call them.

Or get a metolius waldo.

Attachments: metolius_waldo.jpg (60.5 KB)

USnavy

Apr 26, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #11 of 19 (3930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dugl33 wrote:

Or get a metolius waldo.

[Inline metolius_waldo.jpg]
Yep I have a Waldo, its a nice harness. However it lacks the gear loops for a serious route IMO. The big thing about the Shield is it has a billion loops which makes it easy to rack stuff that doesent belong on the gear sling. Smile

dugl33

Apr 26, 2010, 4:56 PM
Post #12 of 19 (3927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phone: (530)222-4606

Yates phone number...

redlude97

Apr 26, 2010, 5:31 PM
Post #13 of 19 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but a friend who has done a bit of big wall including guiding on el cap uses a double wrap of cord with triple fishermans wrapped in duct tape for a second belay loopSmile
He is a bit of a dirtbag climber though and we're actually gathering a money pool to get him a new harness which is barely held together right now, so YMMV

gmggg

Apr 26, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #14 of 19 (3868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
dugl33 wrote:

Or get a metolius waldo.

Yep I have a Waldo, its a nice harness. However it lacks the gear loops for a serious route IMO. The big thing about the Shield is it has a billion loops which makes it easy to rack stuff that doesent belong on the gear sling. Smile

Wouldn't it be easier to add gear loops to this harness rather than adding a belay loop to the shield? A couple of lengths of perlon a couple of knots, maybe a couple lengths of vinyl hosing if you want to get fancy...

sspssp

Apr 26, 2010, 6:13 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but a friend who has done a bit of big wall including guiding on el cap uses a double wrap of cord with triple fishermans wrapped in duct tape for a second belay loopSmile
He is a bit of a dirtbag climber though and we're actually gathering a money pool to get him a new harness which is barely held together right now, so YMMV

I tried this. Once. After the duct tape got worn and sticky, I decided to take it off. I was shocked by how much wear the cord had, which I would have been able to see sooner if the whole thing hadn't been covered by duct tape.

redlude97

Apr 26, 2010, 6:18 PM
Post #16 of 19 (3843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I certainly wouldn't do it and when I saw it i was thinking "yer gonna die!" but he's a much more experienced climber than I so I just though I would throw it out there with a disclaimer Blush

grahamh

Apr 26, 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To any shop that sews cams with new webbing this is no big deal. Many people actually get their cam webbing sewn so that both BD#3 and Metolius #9, for example, are the color blue.

I've yet to whip out my sewing machine, feed it with nylon thread, set the stitch length low and the width about 1/8 inch, but I met an old time climber who does.

I've hung multiple days strait in the Yates Shield harness and agree it's a great harness. This is not a major modification and should cost about $5-$10 at a climbing shop. No worries.

jajen

Apr 29, 2010, 3:53 AM
Post #18 of 19 (3641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

USnavy wrote:
I already own the Big Gun, I use it for multi-pitch free climbing. However contrary to BD's advertising, its not a big wall aid harness, it’s not that comfortable or reinforced. The Shield however is well suited for big walls which why I would like two belay loops on it. Smile

USnavy wrote:
dugl33 wrote:

Or get a metolius waldo.

I really gotta' ask - why the hell do you have a Yates Shield and a BD "Big Gun" AND a Metolius Waldo???? I can understand a couple harnesses for different types of climbing but 3 WALL HARNESSES!! WTF?!??!

USnavy

Apr 29, 2010, 5:42 AM
Post #19 of 19 (3617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jajen] Does any manufacturer out there modify harnesses? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jajen wrote:
USnavy wrote:

USnavy wrote:

USnavy wrote:
dugl33 wrote:

Or get a metolius waldo.

I really gotta' ask - why the hell do you have a Yates Shield and a BD "Big Gun" AND a Metolius Waldo???? I can understand a couple harnesses for different types of climbing but 3 WALL HARNESSES!! WTF?!??!

Well I work at a gear shop and I like gear. I got the Waldo because it looked comfortable and my legs were getting tired after belaying a top rope hangdogger for 45 min straight in a sport harness. But then the leg loop went to hell from my slings so I bought a Big Gun to replace it. I later got the Shield because it looked super comfy, even more so then the Big Gun (and it is) but its not very flexible so I dont use it for sport.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook