RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

wyattwyattwyatt

Apr 26, 2010, 3:17 PM
Post #1 of 7 (6792 views)
Shortcut

Climbing with bunions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Due to moving to an area without any nearby climbing, I've been out of the game for a number of years. However, I will soon be moving back to an area where I can climb and have been looking forward to getting back into it.

Trouble is, in the meantime I have developed some problems with my big toes. At first it seemed that I just accidently stubbed them more than normal (I would frequently catch them in the mat while doing jiu-jitsu), but then they started consistently hurting when I walked. The podiatrist pointed out that I had bone spurs on the joints and made up some arch supports, which have helped, but the right toe is still not 100%. Surgery is a possibility, but I'd like to put it off until it is the only option.

Now I am concerned about whether or not I can climb anymore. With the bunion, my feet are quite wide, and squeezing into tiny shoes is bound to irritate it.

My questions:

(1) Anybody else dealt with a similar problem?

(2) Are there climbing shoes that are wider than the usual ones?

(3) Anybody had surgery to correct bunions? How did it go?

(4) Any other suggestions for finding a way to still climb? I don't need to be pushing the limits; I'd just like to still be able to mess around on the rock on the weekends again.

csproul

Apr 26, 2010, 3:44 PM
Post #2 of 7 (6780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wyattwyattwyatt] Climbing with bunions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife pretty much stopped climbing due to bunions (along with some other reasons too). She found it too painful to put on climbing shoes and stand on her big toes. Her sister had the surgery to fix them, and it took several months for her to be able to walk normally again. Good luck, it sounds like an awful problem to have.

swaghole

Apr 26, 2010, 4:26 PM
Post #3 of 7 (6769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have bunions caused by flat feet. I keep climbing and it doesn't hurt too much unless I am doing a lot of slab. After a day of climbing, a few ibuprofen and beer numb out the pain and I am good to go the next day. I am currently climbing with the Mythos shoe. Its leather shoie and has stretched to accommodate my wide foot. My problem isn't bad enough to consider surgery. I'd hate to go through that!

gblauer

Apr 26, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read this before you do anything:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

I made the biggest mistake of my life by having surgery. I cannot take a step without pain.

PM me if you want more information or want to chat.

granite_grrl

Apr 26, 2010, 6:27 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Climbing with bunions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gail, I didn't think is was bunions that you had, was it?

Bunions seem like a fairly common foot issue for climbers. I know that I have one forming. I thought surgery was a fairly common procedure, so hopefully you'll get lots of feedback.

gblauer

Apr 26, 2010, 7:54 PM
Post #6 of 7 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing with bunions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Gail, I didn't think is was bunions that you had, was it?

I thought surgery was a fairly common procedure, so hopefully you'll get lots of feedback.

Rebecca...THe surgery I had is very similar to bunion surgery. I can tell you that my surgery is less complicated than bunion surgery (no realignment required, no pins required etc) and I am very unhappy with my outcome. I am not saying that all surgery will have the same outcome. I am just saying that I would have waited until I absolutely could NOT walk before I did this to myself. I am in pain every day and as you know, I have to find creative ways to climb.

I think he should seek medical advice from someone who understands the "athletic soul". Even then, I went to the doctor who handles the Pennsylvania Ballet and he ultimately told me to quit climbing and find a new sport. So much for understanding passionate athletes...

Whatever he does to his feet, they will never be like there were and he will have to get used to a whole new way of walking, climbing and moving.

Buyer Beware.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Apr 26, 2010, 8:19 PM)

wyattwyattwyatt

Apr 26, 2010, 9:51 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Climbing with bunions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
My wife pretty much stopped climbing due to bunions (along with some other reasons too). She found it too painful to put on climbing shoes and stand on her big toes. Her sister had the surgery to fix them, and it took several months for her to be able to walk normally again. Good luck, it sounds like an awful problem to have.

How is her sister doing now? Did she climb? Did the surgery ultimately help?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook