Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Post deleted by VFV
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

 


VFV


Apr 26, 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2439 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 19, 2009
Posts: 21

Post deleted by VFV
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


jjanowia


Apr 26, 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2419 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 20, 2005
Posts: 126

Re: [VFV] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not to be a jerk, but do you think the speaker in the film meant 'piton', and either pronounced it funny or you mis-heard?


sungam


Apr 26, 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26477

Re: [jjanowia] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jjanowia wrote:
Not to be a jerk, but do you think the speaker in the film meant 'piton', and either pronounced it funny or you mis-heard?
Nah, Tetons are oldskool gearz. Forest made them, I think. Or was that titons? Meh.

Edit to add, one of knieveltech's pic:



(This post was edited by sungam on Apr 26, 2010, 11:18 AM)


edge


Apr 26, 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2396 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9065

Re: [sungam] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jjanowia wrote:
Not to be a jerk, but do you think the speaker in the film meant 'piton', and either pronounced it funny or you mis-heard?
Nah, Tetons are oldskool gearz. Forest made them, I think. Or was that titons? Meh.

Edit to add, one of knieveltech's pic:
[image]http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v703/211/39/1055488021/n1055488021_195723_7381.jpg[/image]

Yes, they are spelled "Titons" and were made by Forrest Mountaineering. I still own a full set. Haven't used any of them since 1979, however.

They are the "T" shaped thingies mixed in with the hexes and SMC Camlock.




(This post was edited by edge on Apr 26, 2010, 11:26 AM)


bill413


Apr 26, 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2392 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [sungam] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yep - I'm pretty sure that it was Forest.
They came in lengths even longer than pictured.


edge


Apr 26, 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2378 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9065

Re: [bill413] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Yep - I'm pretty sure that it was Forest.

Two 'R's according to Climb! and an old article I could find right away.


bill413


Apr 26, 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2365 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [edge] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Yep - I'm pretty sure that it was Forest.

Two 'R's according to Climb! and an old article I could find right away.

I'll accept the correction. That source sounds far more reliable than my memory of it.


sungam


Apr 26, 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26477

Re: [edge] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Yep - I'm pretty sure that it was Forest.

Two 'R's according to Climb! and an old article I could find right away.
Thanks for the correction.


napoleon_in_rags


Apr 28, 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #9 of 11 (2273 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2004
Posts: 584

Re: [VFV] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

VFV wrote:
Recently, I saw a film in which a climber referred to a piece of pro called a Teton. I've googled a bit and can't find a reference for these; was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Also appreciate it someone could point out a good online resource which shows collections of older climbing pro that I might have missed. Thanks!

How old was this film? I have only seen those on the wall at Neptune Mountaineering.


VFV


Apr 29, 2010, 4:51 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 19, 2009
Posts: 21

Re: [napoleon_in_rags] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The film was Scary Faces by Sender Productions about Jules Verne in Eldo. In the film, there was an Eldo park service employee? ranger? credited only with the name Birdman who referenced Titons. So, the film is not recent and Birdman appeared to be in his 50's or 60's.

After posting and learning the correct spelling, I found an online reference for older gear here. http://www.needlesports.com/nutsmuseum/nutsmuseum.htm


nilcarborundum


May 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2095 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 1, 2007
Posts: 3667

Re: [napoleon_in_rags] Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

napoleon_in_rags wrote:
VFV wrote:
Recently, I saw a film in which a climber referred to a piece of pro called a Teton. I've googled a bit and can't find a reference for these; was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Also appreciate it someone could point out a good online resource which shows collections of older climbing pro that I might have missed. Thanks!

How old was this film? I have only seen those on the wall at Neptune Mountaineering.

My first trad lead was about 3 years ago with a friend's rack. I couldn't figure out why he had multiple sizes of angle iron on his rack. FWIW, Tonto in Red Rocks takes Titons quite well.


Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook