RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

redneck

May 3, 2010, 8:12 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3133 views)
Shortcut

pleasant surprises
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently on a trip to utah i was canyoneering. this trip was specifically for canyoneering and no rock climbing. My purpose on this trip was to lead a group of beginer climbers and canyoneerers. as a result i was not expecting to be able to do any free climbing as i usually enjoy. however while leading a group of six through a canyon i had done a few weeks previously, we discovered that where i had preveously crawled under a chalk rock a false bottom had washed out. the new bottom was sixty feet lower and to narrow to get through. with no other way to get out we had to go back up the three rappels we had done. I free climbed all three rappels(the largest was only thirty feet) and droped down a rope where my partner made sure our less experienced members were correctly tied in to ascend the rappels. this unexpected change in the trip plans was rather pleasant. the best part was when we got back to our van someone left a unopened six pack by our back tire.

darkgift06

May 3, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redneck] pleasant surprises [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nice work & cheers to the person who left the 6er.

green_alien

May 3, 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awsome....what kind of beer was it?

gblauer

May 3, 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's always a pleasant surprise when the forecast for the gunks is 90% chance of rain, everyone stays home and it doesn't rain!

It always a pleasant surprise when you show up at the West Trapps lot at noon and there is a spot waiting for us right up at the trailhead.

patmay81

May 3, 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] pleasant surprises [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
It's always a pleasant surprise when the forecast for the gunks is 90% chance of rain, everyone stays home and it doesn't rain!

It always a pleasant surprise when you show up at the West Trapps lot at noon and there is a spot waiting for us right up at the trailhead.
its the same way at smith, only usually people are scared away by a mere 30% chance. and at smith, if it does rain, it dries out in 10.5 seconds. I love having the park to myself!

dingus

May 4, 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Re: pleasant surprises [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got to the top of a hot, dry and very thirsty grade V in Yosemite. We'd been out of water for a while. It was a long way down to the cars with no prospect of more water till we got there.

My partner pulled out a small tin of canned pineapples!

He ate half, drank half and bestowed upon me this liquid gold... manna from Partner!

Its that sort of small pleasant 'partner surprise' that leads to and helps fulfill, 20 + year partnerships.

BE that kind of partner too!

The one who brings pleasant little surprises, like pineapples at the top of a long route.

DMT

olympicmtnboy

May 4, 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread makes me smile.

1. At the top of the Backbone Ridge on Dragontail (alpine peak in the Cascades), after climbing all day with only our tiny day packs, my partner busts out two entirely intact Cuban cigars. No idea how he got em through the offwidth bits, but they sure were a nice surprise!

2. Descending from the Wet Ridge of Forbidden Peak back to our campsite I took the lid off our cook pot to heat some water for a much needed dinner only to find a giant fresh chocolate chip cookie! No idea where that one came from, no one nearby.

Cheers to the pleasant surprises of the climbing world! Pass them on!

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook