Post deleted by adatesman
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

kennoyce

Apr 5, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #51 of 62 (4635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] The OFFICIAL Official 2010 Homemade Cam Competition Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd suggest doing some reading on 'spelter sockets'. It's the only wire rope termination method that will get you 100% of the cable strength (swaging is usually only good for ~70%, IIRC) and is used predominantly in elevator cables, winch lines, etc.

In a nutshell the fitting has a conical taper on the inside and you feed the end of the wire in through the small end, splay out the wires and then fill the fitting with molten zinc (or epoxy). I played with it a bit and it works well, but unfortunately I don't see a way to incorporate it into a commercial cam design due to the amount of time it takes to splay out the wires. Simply too much labor cost compared to simply upsizing the wire and swaging it.

Thanks for the info Aric, it does sound interesting. Like you said, it would probably be too labor intensive to incorporate into a commercial cam. I think I am going to have to play around a bit with my vacuum assisted bonding process because I am fairly sure that I can get higher strength than what I got with that cam. When I bonded the cable I was in such a hurry that I completely forgot to do any surface prep whatsoever on the bonding surfaces. There was probably still cutting fluid on the bonding surface from when I drilled the hole.

On a side note, I work in R&D and my work just picked up a 10 kip and a 50 kip instron to put in a new test lab. Hopefully I can do some of my own testing there now.Cool

adatesman

May 4, 2010, 7:11 AM
Post #52 of 62 (4467 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

kennoyce

May 4, 2010, 1:26 PM
Post #53 of 62 (4438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] The OFFICIAL Official 2010 Homemade Cam Competition Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks good Aric, Thanks again for all of your work.

kennoyce

May 4, 2010, 1:55 PM
Post #54 of 62 (4429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as the splitting of the home made cable eye goes, It doesn't surprise me in the least. When I drilled out the hole for the stem I was about to leave for red rocks so I just used my drill press and eye balled it for center. Because of this one of the walls ended up being much thinner than the other. I'm sure that is the one that split.

johnwesely

May 4, 2010, 2:34 PM
Post #55 of 62 (4414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] The OFFICIAL Official 2010 Homemade Cam Competition Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
As far as the splitting of the home made cable eye goes, It doesn't surprise me in the least. When I drilled out the hole for the stem I was about to leave for red rocks so I just used my drill press and eye balled it for center. Because of this one of the walls ended up being much thinner than the other. I'm sure that is the one that split.

Because of the way it broke, it seems like your Bonzing method may actually be pretty strong, especially because you said that you skipped some steps on that. Good luck with your design.

Partner cracklover

May 4, 2010, 2:44 PM
Post #56 of 62 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] The OFFICIAL Official 2010 Homemade Cam Competition Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
kennoyce wrote:

Because of the way it broke, it seems like your Bonzing method may actually be pretty strong, especially because you said that you skipped some steps on that. Good luck with your design.

Especially since it appears not to have covered the whole cable (ironic, that).

GO

jeremy11

May 4, 2010, 4:12 PM
Post #57 of 62 (4386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] The OFFICIAL Official 2010 Homemade Cam Competition Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice bonzing method! I wonder if the cable pulling out broke the aluminum, or if the aluminum broke then the cable pulled?
Looks like some more prototyping and surface prep is in order! Great idea and execution!

olympicmtnboy

May 5, 2010, 8:58 PM
Post #58 of 62 (4281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] The OFFICIAL Official 2010 Homemade Cam Competition Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice job Ken and Aric, thanks for getting something togehter! I love seeing people's homemade stuff and then seeing someone rip it apart!

Aric, I know it's a lot of work to do these pics, vids, and write ups. I love watching.reading though and look forward to watching anything else you explode in the near future!

Cam comp next year?

longshot76

May 5, 2012, 4:45 PM
Post #59 of 62 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can you guys please point me to the (probably deleted) thread for the 2010 comp results?

kennoyce

May 6, 2012, 3:54 PM
Post #60 of 62 (3490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [longshot76] The OFFICIAL Official 2010 Homemade Cam Competition Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

longshot76 wrote:
can you guys please point me to the (probably deleted) thread for the 2010 comp results?

You just posted in it, unfortunately, Aric Datesman, the guy who ran the comp and posted the results deleted all of his content, so the results went with it.

longshot76

May 7, 2012, 5:17 PM
Post #61 of 62 (3417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's too bad. i had a great time looking through the 2009 discussion and results.

Thanks for the reply though.

(This post was edited by longshot76 on May 7, 2012, 5:18 PM)

kovacs69

May 7, 2012, 6:06 PM
Post #62 of 62 (3401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [longshot76] The OFFICIAL Official 2010 Homemade Cam Competition Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You might find it on his web site or maybe he can e-mail it to you.

http://theclimbinglab.com/

JB

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook