RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

pirateswin

May 4, 2010, 9:48 PM
Post #1 of 3 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Teaching Climbing Technique to Kids
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I am the Climbing Center Coordinator at Portland State University, and I want to put together some summer climbing lesson for kids, ages 2-10. I am PCIA certified, and I have been teaching movement lessons and belay for two years, but only to adults. I am writing to see if anyone has a lesson plan for teaching kid's movement technique, or even just suggestions of fun games that can teach kids how to climb. Or maybe someone knows a place to get said information? I want them to have fun of course, but I also want their parents to get their money's worth. I want to be able to teach my staff how to engage children, while making sure they leave with basic technical and safety knowledge. Thanks for your time!

-Lorena Jasis-Wallace
PSU Outdoor Program

johnwesely

May 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #2 of 3 (3200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pirateswin] Teaching Climbing Technique to Kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

2 years old is way to young to do almost anything with.
I would make the age range 5-10 if I were you. I teach climbing summer camps and even the 5 and 6 year old kids are pretty difficult to keep entertained. Climbing is tiring. It is tough to do any sort of extended technique training or even climbing with kids that young. Focus more on games and having fun than trying to make them the next Sharma. If you have any way for them to do rappelling, kids usually really dig that.

madrasrock

May 5, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #3 of 3 (3128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pirateswin] Teaching Climbing Technique to Kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I take hundreds of kids climbing each year there is a real difference in Bouldering, Climbing and Rappelling, Gym climbing vs. life rock, for kids of different ages. This is my guide line
Gym: bouldering 1-2 grade + (The hand hold in gyms are set for bigger people 10-14”+ a part younger kids legs are not that tall.)
Gym: Climbing 3-4 grade + (you will need some full body and (small) harness, even the one size fits all do not go small enough)
Life Rock: Bouldering 3-4 grade + (The younger kids have soft hands they do not want to get scraped up)
Life Rock: Climbing (I like 14 year olds but I do 12-13 year olds, the younger kids just are not that tall and strong, they take twice as much time to climb a route , and when you are doing programs, it is hard for them to site for a 1/2hrs for one person to climb. You are also looking at 5-3 to 5-5 climbs)
Live Rock: Rappelling 14 years old+ (The younger kids just freeze up more, gloves do not fit smaller hands, and if you do not use gloves, they will let go of the hot rope.)

Rick

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook