Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Llano River routes
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

easy_rider71

Apr 29, 2010, 1:10 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3817 views)
Shortcut

Llano River routes  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is a large rock on the Llano River, downstream from the city of Llano. The rock is on an island and has some old anchors bolted in at the top. The rock is a mile or two upstream from RR3404 and rises about 60-70 feet about the water and has some decent overhangs and cracks. Looks like a handful of decent routes on it. As I understand, anything on an island in the river is public domain land. Anyone know anything about these routes? Thanks!

jimmy

acorneau

Apr 29, 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [easy_rider71] Llano River routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

easy_rider71 wrote:
There is a large rock on the Llano River, downstream from the city of Llano. The rock is on an island and has some old anchors bolted in at the top. The rock is a mile or two upstream from RR3404 and rises about 60-70 feet about the water and has some decent overhangs and cracks. Looks like a handful of decent routes on it. As I understand, anything on an island in the river is public domain land. Anyone know anything about these routes? Thanks!

jimmy

Is this the one?

http://maps.google.com/...965&t=h&z=17

Don't know myself, but I'll bet someone over on Erock Online would know.

http://www.erockonline.com/...ad/index.php?act=idx

easy_rider71

Apr 29, 2010, 4:50 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Llano River routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, it's a bit downstream. Should have looked it up on Google Earth myself. Here's that link now. http://maps.google.com/...53,0.009645&z=17 Thanks for the note, though. I'll post on the E-Rock forum as well.

Ok, I think after 3 tries, I've actually got the right spot. It was kinda tough to tell from the satellite view at first. It's a formation right in the middle of the riverbed, and as of yesterday, water was flowing around both sides. I know there is lots of controversy about ownership of islands or rocks in the river that rise well above the stream bed, so I'm looking for any landowner info if this is private land, but since it is a permanent island in the riverbed, I'm thinking it is public domain. I've done tons of research on the subject as I'm an avid canoeist, too, but realize it is still not crystal clear to anyone. I was hoping this question might have already been answered for this particular island.

(This post was edited by easy_rider71 on Apr 29, 2010, 5:03 PM)

acorneau

Apr 29, 2010, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of the folks on Erock Online are very knowledgeable about Texas property issues and can probably give you a good answer.

Good luck.

hugepedro

Apr 29, 2010, 5:58 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done some canoe trips on Texas rivers, including overnighters. As long as you're within the banks of the normal streamflow, not on flood plains, you're golden.

Now that may not prevent some ornery rancher with a shotgun from trying to drive you off anyway. And his brother is probably the sheriff, so you may not have any luck convincing him that you have the right to be there.

AnthonyATX

Apr 29, 2010, 6:14 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

easy_rider71 wrote:

jimmy

Any chance of getting a picture or two of the rock?

easy_rider71

Apr 29, 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Llano River routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, that's the general rule with very few exceptions. Almost all permanent river islands are public domain and there are many nice ones along the rivers in TX, usually my favorite camping spots. I know that islands created by high waters are NOT considered public domain even if completely cut off by the stream flow, so this one kinda falls somewhere in the grey area, at least insofar as my being comfortable climbing it without knowing for certain I am legal or getting the 'owners' permission or such. Too many awesome legal places for me to discover still since I'm very new to this awesome sport! Here's a reference I found in a TX Supreme Court case that's clear as mud. :) "The "bed of a stream" is that portion of its soil which is alternately covered and left bare as there may be an increase or diminution in the supply of water, and which is adequate to contain it at its average and mean state during an entire year" Well, the sentence is pretty clear, but I'm not sure if this rock in the Llano meets its criteria as it runs pretty low many times. Looks like it probably stays within Thanks for the replies, all. Namaste´

hugepedro

Apr 29, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The data from this USGS guage station shows the historical mean as 449 CFS, and the current streamflow is 498 CFS with a gauge height of 2.17 feet, so it's a little higher than the mean at the moment.

And if you look back on April 16 there was a CSF of 410 and gauge height of 1.98 feet.

Sooo, the difference between 498 CFS and the mean would be less than 2 inches of depth.

If the level dropping 2 inches would connect your island with the shore, then it could be private, if not, you're golden.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/.../uv?site_no=08151500

easy_rider71

May 6, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Llano River routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, looks like the rock is virtually always surrounded by water. However, I did notice someone tried fruitlessly to destroy the bolts at the top, (I'd assume a local landowner not wanting his backyard as a climbing spot) so would not use them except possibly as a third anchor point, probably along with a slung rock and tree or something. They still look and feel very solid, but that probably doesn't mean much.

Thanks for all the replies!

kachoong

May 6, 2010, 3:34 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this the rock?

This pic is off Google Earth.

easy_rider71

May 6, 2010, 4:33 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Llano River routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's it. Keep meaning to look it up on Google Earth, but forgetting. Thanks. ANyone know anything about the route(s)?

kovacs69

May 6, 2010, 4:48 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet Jeff Jackson knows something about it...drop him a line at R&I.

jjackson@bigstonepub.com

The worst that can happen is that he ignores you.

justroberto

May 6, 2010, 5:10 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Llano River routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Is this the rock?

This pic is off Google Earth.
Some pretty classic looking lines there!

easy_rider71

May 6, 2010, 6:33 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Llano River routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And there's a nice swimming hole there and some class II rapids just to the right of the photo. It's a really beautiful spot and looked like some fun and challenging (for me) routes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook