Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors
Rappelling is safer 5 / 6%
Lowering is safer 26 / 32%
Rappelling is better for preserving the integrity of bolted anchors (including chains, quicklinks, rap hangers, and regular hangers) 49 / 61%
Lowering is better for preserving the integrity of bolted anchors (including chains, quicklinks, rap hangers, and regular hangers)  0 / 0%
80 total votes

shu2kill

May 5, 2010, 9:47 PM
Post #76 of 128 (5910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
shu2kill wrote:
on the gym where i climb, we teach everybody to rappel and clean the route while rappelling. this is because it seems every route here has different anchors, some allow you to be lowered, some dont.

What kind of anchors do you have that you can't lower off of?

Jay

some routes have just 2 hangers with quicklinks set at the same height. others have chains or rings, but they are set at the top of the rock and not in the vertical face, so even pulling the rope after the rappel is hard. i dont know if im explaining myself there...

others have rope hangers, but the route is overhanging , then vertical, then leaning forward. so lowering someone would drag the rope severely on the change of angle...

EDIT TO ADD: all this is outside... the gym has top rope anchors and leading routes with proper anchors at the top for lowering...

(This post was edited by shu2kill on May 5, 2010, 11:48 PM)

jmeizis

May 5, 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #77 of 128 (5891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shu2kill] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think it would help if you specified when you were talking about at the gym or when you were talking about the local crag outside.

shu2kill

May 5, 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #78 of 128 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
I think it would help if you specified when you were talking about at the gym or when you were talking about the local crag outside.

sorry, i mistakenly assumed it was understood that all this was outside...

patmay81

May 5, 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #79 of 128 (5882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:
jt512 wrote:
shu2kill wrote:
on the gym where i climb, we teach everybody to rappel and clean the route while rappelling. this is because it seems every route here has different anchors, some allow you to be lowered, some dont.

Jay

some routes have just 2 hangers with quicklinks set at the same height. others have chains or rings, but they are set at the top of the rock and not in the vertical face, so even pulling the rope after the rappel is hard
some routes just have bolts, no quicklinks or chains or rap rings or anything. actually thats far more common in the areas I climb than anything else.

shu2kill

May 5, 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #80 of 128 (5879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
shu2kill wrote:
jt512 wrote:
shu2kill wrote:

Jay

some routes have just 2 hangers with quicklinks set at the same height. others have chains or rings, but they are set at the top of the rock and not in the vertical face, so even pulling the rope after the rappel is hard
some routes just have bolts, no quicklinks or chains or rap rings or anything. actually thats far more common in the areas I climb than anything else.

i have seen a few of those, but since i always carry some quicklinks, i put one on each hanger and rappel from there. if not, how would i go down?? the only other option would be to thread the rope through the hanger, which im definitely not doing...

jmeizis

May 5, 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #81 of 128 (5877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you thread the rope through the hangers and rappel down you'll be fine. If you lower it will quickly destroy your rope if you do it very much. You aren't the quicklink fairy who keeps leaving all the quicklinks all over southern Colorado are you?

shu2kill

May 6, 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #82 of 128 (5872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
If you thread the rope through the hangers and rappel down you'll be fine. If you lower it will quickly destroy your rope if you do it very much. You aren't the quicklink fairy who keeps leaving all the quicklinks all over southern Colorado are you?

hahaha, no, im leaving quicklinks all over northern Mexico

and im not threading my rope through the hanger and then rappeling from there, not even once.... id rather leave a biner if i was out of quicklinks....

(This post was edited by shu2kill on May 6, 2010, 3:58 PM)

redlude97

May 6, 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #83 of 128 (5871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
You thread and rap off of normal hangers? Are you sure they aren't the metolius rap hangers?

jmeizis

May 6, 2010, 1:00 AM
Post #84 of 128 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, those, or these: http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/...eel_bolt_hanger.html

It's much less preferred than through a quicklink, ring, or rap hanger, but you are highly unlikely to die. There's another company that makes hangers with a rounded edge, they're not rap hangers but they don't have the same sharp edge like the metolius ones. Not sure who makes them but those are fine for rapping through.

redlude97

May 6, 2010, 1:20 AM
Post #85 of 128 (5856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have fun with that Crazy

jt512

May 6, 2010, 4:25 AM
Post #86 of 128 (5830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
shu2kill wrote:
jt512 wrote:
shu2kill wrote:

Jay

And so how are you getting off these routes?

Jay

jt512

May 6, 2010, 4:45 AM
Post #87 of 128 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
If you thread the rope through the hangers and rappel down you'll be fine.

One problem with calling yourself a guide before you've paid the dues and put in the time traditionally required to earn that designation is that every time you advocate a rookie move like rapping through bolt hangers you're going to appear double the fool for it.

Jay

shockabuku

May 6, 2010, 5:49 AM
Post #88 of 128 (5810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trango, I think. I don't think they sell them anymore.

redlude97

May 6, 2010, 6:54 AM
Post #89 of 128 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jmeizis wrote:
If you thread the rope through the hangers and rappel down you'll be fine.

One problem with calling yourself a guide before you've paid the dues and put in the time traditionally required to earn that designation is that every time you advocate a rookie move like rapping through bolt hangers you're going to appear double the fool for it.

Jay
I guess it shouldn't really come as a surprise when he is proud enough to post pics of himself using an ADT

majid_sabet

May 6, 2010, 7:35 AM
Post #90 of 128 (5788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rapping from bolt hanger without a biner or rap ring is a bad habit and one day, one of you will be killed while doing it.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 6, 2010, 8:20 PM)

solorin

May 6, 2010, 9:40 AM
Post #91 of 128 (5779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
jmeizis wrote:
It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen. Either way, why should someone else have to pay to replace the stuff because other people won't just rappel when they're done with a climb?

I'll say again, "If the people who put it there did so with the assumption that it would wear out ..." then that's why. Each area has its own rules. Why are you trying to make the world conform to your idea of correctness?

Wait a second.

Aren't the 'people who put it there' ' trying to make the world conform to your idea of correctness'?

Not that I think trying to make the world conform to my idea of correctness is wrong. I practice it heartily. Someone has to maintain standards and bleed for principles. Of course, sometimes standards must be exceeded, and principle becomes only guideline.

It's in the balance - the offset balance between a painful fingerlock and an insecure dime edge.

In reply to:
j_ung wrote:Whether I lower, rappel or clean the route by following it depends entirely on the route and the type of anchor.

Edit: and sometimes the condition that anchor is in.

blueeyedclimber wrote: You mean it's situational? IT can't be decided by a poll? That's Crazy Talk!!!

cracklover wrote: What about if the poll is broken and completely meaningless. Can it be decided then?

End of thread. The rest is ungentlemanly bickering and name-calling.

What if local climbing ethic is broken and completely meaningless. Can it be decided then?

P.S.
What are these 'rules' you speak about? Rules for climbing? Really?!!

rangerrob

May 6, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #92 of 128 (5730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [solorin] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The fundamental problem with this thread, and this topic in particular, is that people keep referring to the gym and the crag as if they are the same thing. THEY AREN'T!! You can not take your gym ethics and assume they are the same out at the cliff. That is why we are being innundated by a new breed of climbers for whom convenience is high on their list of climbing values. Keep your convenience at your exercise gym where it belongs. Let'sbe honest...the one and ONLY reason someone would lower off the anchor instaed of rapping down themselves is because they are too damned lazy to do the right thing. we all know what should be done, to preserve the life of those "convenience" anchors, and that is not to toprope off of them and use them for lowers. Stop being LAZY you freaking turds!

RR - the voice of a bygone generation it seems

redlude97

May 6, 2010, 8:05 PM
Post #93 of 128 (5726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
The fundamental problem with this thread, and this topic in particular, is that people keep referring to the gym and the crag as if they are the same thing. THEY AREN'T!! You can not take your gym ethics and assume they are the same out at the cliff. That is why we are being innundated by a new breed of climbers for whom convenience is high on their list of climbing values. Keep your convenience at your exercise gym where it belongs. Let'sbe honest...the one and ONLY reason someone would lower off the anchor instaed of rapping down themselves is because they are too damned lazy to do the right thing. we all know what should be done, to preserve the life of those "convenience" anchors, and that is not to toprope off of them and use them for lowers. Stop being LAZY you freaking turds!

Why don't you stop being selfish and holding up people in line while you set up a rap and clean? Follow local climbing ethics, its as simple as that. Many crag anchors are set up with the intention of lowering, its significantly faster which is a consideration that many of the developers took into consideration. Following some dogmatic practice in all situations in climbing is foolish. This doesn't have anything to do with gym climbers

jakedatc

May 6, 2010, 8:23 PM
Post #94 of 128 (5718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:

Rumney Guidebook Pg 18
"Please use your own gear until the last climber of your party loweres off the route"

come back when you get a clue dumbass.

clean this on rap

or this one.. climber in blue

(This post was edited by jakedatc on May 6, 2010, 8:24 PM)

Partner cracklover

May 6, 2010, 8:34 PM
Post #95 of 128 (5713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:

RR, the situation at the Gunks is totally different to that at many sport crags around the country. In short, while your ethic about never lowering off fixed gear is exactly right at the Gunks, it simply is no more applicable at Rumney (and many other steep sport crags) than a gym ethic is applicable at the Gunks.

GO

shu2kill

May 6, 2010, 8:39 PM
Post #96 of 128 (5711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

Rumney Guidebook Pg 18
"Please use your own gear until the last climber of your party loweres off the route"

clean this on rap
[image]http://www.deansplace.net/~grahamski/Summer%20%2704%20Roadtrip%20webpage/pictures/rumney/0506_rumney_bonsai.JPG[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/Red%20River%20Gorge/IMG_1234.jpg?t=1273177353[/image]

if you are rappelling on 2 strands (obviously) and one of them is still clipped through all the quickdraws, why cant you just lower until you are at the quickdraw's height, and then your belay, who is now off belay, just pulls the strand passing through the quickdraws to pull you to the wall?? this is how i have cleaned overhanging routes. well, overhanging where you land 10 or 12 feet from the base of the wall. i imagine if it was a lot more overhung, it would ve more difficult...

and this got me thinking, how do you clean off a long roof???

redlude97

May 6, 2010, 8:48 PM
Post #97 of 128 (5708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

Rumney Guidebook Pg 18

clean this on rap
[image]http://www.deansplace.net/~grahamski/Summer%20%2704%20Roadtrip%20webpage/pictures/rumney/0506_rumney_bonsai.JPG[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/Red%20River%20Gorge/IMG_1234.jpg?t=1273177353[/image]

With a tram...

jakedatc

May 6, 2010, 8:49 PM
Post #98 of 128 (5705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

Rumney Guidebook Pg 18

clean this on rap

if you are rappelling on 2 strands (obviously) and one of them is still clipped through all the quickdraws, why cant you just lower until you are at the quickdraw's height, and then your belay, who is now off belay, just pulls the strand passing through the quickdraws to pull you to the wall?? this is how i have cleaned overhanging routes. well, overhanging where you land 10 or 12 feet from the base of the wall. i imagine if it was a lot more overhung, it would ve more difficult...

exactly.. when it gets more overhanging and more traversing or both it is much safer and easier to be on belay. When you are rapping then you are required to trust a 6mm cord on a friction hitch to keep your ass off the deck. as opposed to your belayer lowering you down. I've been sport climbing for about 8 years now and have cleaned on rappel less than 5 times and those were dead vertical routes where the rope went over an edge and it still sucked.

Faster, safer, more convenient and the local ethic at MANY sport areas. 1 lower off per group is NOT that harmful to the gear.

shu2kill

May 6, 2010, 9:03 PM
Post #99 of 128 (5692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

exactly.. when it gets more overhanging and more traversing or both it is much safer and easier to be on belay. When you are rapping then you are required to trust a 6mm cord on a friction hitch to keep your ass off the deck. as opposed to your belayer lowering you down. I've been sport climbing for about 8 years now and have cleaned on rappel less than 5 times and those were dead vertical routes where the rope went over an edge and it still sucked.

Faster, safer, more convenient and the local ethic at MANY sport areas. 1 lower off per group is NOT that harmful to the gear.

i wish we had "local ethics" where i climb. here everybody does what they want to. the people i meet at the gym, or the ones who climb with me, i try to convince them to always clean on rappel, we dont have that many overhanging routes anyways and some very popular routes have edges where lowering would drag the rope, or 2 hangers with quicklinks at an angle that wont allow lowering if the rope is threaded through both...... and we are very few climbers, i think i know 90% of all climbers in my state, so lowering fast so another person can try the route is not really an issue....

so as you say, it depends on local ethics, and ONE person lowered per party wont do much damage...

shu2kill

May 6, 2010, 9:11 PM
Post #100 of 128 (5690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
With a tram...

i had never heard of the term before, but i did a search and now i know what it means. in fact i have used it sometimes to be lowered cleaning overhangs (lowering off my own gear, i have friends who dont like preplaced draws Crazy)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook