Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Use of heat to speed muscle recovery (Not Injury related)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

mal7623

May 8, 2010, 6:21 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Use of heat to speed muscle recovery (Not Injury related)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm placing this thread in the training forum rather than the injury board.

Has anyone experimented with heating pads to increase blood flow in the forearms after a workout, or even for overnight use during heavy training? It seems like it could have some advantage to a more full or more quick recovery cycle.

In a very brief research session, I've concluded there are some issues with long term use of heat. One such condition is called erythema ab igne, a darkening and damage to the skin. It does seem well known though that heat increases blood flow to the target region.

Perhaps someone around here would like to comment.

(This post was edited by mal7623 on May 8, 2010, 6:22 AM)

bsyed

May 8, 2010, 7:38 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mal7623] Use of heat to speed muscle recovery (Not Injury related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im not sure abt heat...

gymnasts use contrast bath which are supposedly great for recovery
http://www.beastskills.com/contrastbaths.htm

i personally have found that after weight lifting, swimming really helps for recovery and muscle soreness, so much that im stronger the following day
I think its something to do with the coldness of the water encouraging your body to heat up and remove the lactic acid from your muscles or something

viciado

May 8, 2010, 8:42 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bsyed] Use of heat to speed muscle recovery (Not Injury related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would think the swimming helps in that your muscles are flushing metabolytes with the lighter exercise.Warm-down exercise and stretching are probably more benficial than a heating pad. Try 10 or 15 minutes of light exercise (jog, cycle etc.) then stretch out. This might add 20-30 minutes to your training, but I suspect you will notice the difference.

jakedatc

May 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mal7623] Use of heat to speed muscle recovery (Not Injury related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice will be better for recovery than heat. technically when you work out or climb hard you are doing micro damage to your muscles so you need to almost treat it like an injury and ice, massage, gentle stretching.

granite_grrl

May 10, 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Use of heat to speed muscle recovery (Not Injury related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Question about massage: do you want the muscles heated to a certain amount before you have someone dig in with their thumbs and elbows?

jakedatc

May 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Use of heat to speed muscle recovery (Not Injury related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Question about massage: do you want the muscles heated to a certain amount before you have someone dig in with their thumbs and elbows?

Probably some. You figure that TdF guys get massages on their legs almost every day they ride.. and definitely after every race day so they are already warmed up

rockprodigy

May 10, 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Icing works. I highly recommend it.

TomUK

May 14, 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockprodigy] Use of heat to speed muscle recovery (Not Injury related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ye - as mentioned i'd go for cooling rather than heating. A cold shower works for me every time; not nice at the time but you'll be thankful for it the following morning. A Cold bath might even be better but a lot harder to make yourself do!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook