Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Project South (December 2009)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Joshua007

Nov 18, 2009, 4:26 AM
Post #1 of 11 (6229 views)
Shortcut

Project South (December 2009)  (North_America: United_States: Georgia: Georgia_South)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Before I commit to this project or even attempt to make it a real project and get people involved, let me have some feedback first.

I'd like to know how the climbing scene is in Eatonton and Macon; specifically Murder Creek (Cedar Creek WMA), Oconee WMA, Juliette, and Hitchiti areas. I'm looking to bring some fellow climbers down to help put the scene on the map better, literally. I want to make a few topo maps, solidify ratings, and find new/harder problems. You climbers in these areas have a much longer drive than we do for climbing so I thought it would be nice to get some classic boulder problems listed on this site for those interested in local stuff.

So let me know if you think the climbing scene in these areas could use some help.

(This post was edited by Joshua007 on Nov 18, 2009, 1:32 PM)

sf

Nov 20, 2009, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 11 (6166 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by sf [In reply to]
Report this Post

HueyFE

Nov 20, 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #3 of 11 (6146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Joshua007] Project South (December 2009) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am In GA for 2 weeks about an hour north of Macon, I would love to get with some people and go do some bouldering one day. Hit me up, if you are interested.

Joshua007

Nov 21, 2009, 2:41 AM
Post #4 of 11 (6134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sf] Project South (December 2009) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I knew the bouldering isn't much to brag about. There's a place nearby (Whitesburg, GA) that was that way for a while until we really started looking. I'm just hoping to find a few solid problems to help people around the area become interested in it more. I'm sure there are problems that haven't been discovered and I'm looking to do just that. Murder creek definitely has some unfinished business for example.

I'd like to come down and meet the local climbers/boulders around there too. I'll post a def. date on here when that's all figured out.

thanks for the responses!

davis13au

Jan 4, 2010, 2:19 PM
Post #5 of 11 (6003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it may not be Rocktown (sf) but it's what we got in Mid GA and it's better than nothing. If you happen to live in Macon then it's great having a handful of problems close that you can stay in shape on. I recently moved away but for the past few years the (very) few of us that climbed tried to redevelop some areas down there. Mainly Hitchiti and Juliette. Those are the two with the easiest access. We spent more time at Juliette as it has less of the snakes, ticks, poison ivey, and other fun stuff that you can find at Hitchiti and Murder Creek. Actually at Juliette the only thing that keeps you away in the summer is the oppressive heat and humidity. Most of the pics and info we posted on mountainproject.com.

Hitchiti and Juliette have good quality rock with lots of friction. The routes aren't world class but there are few things at both that even the most hard core should enjoy. There are not a large number of routes in the area though. Juliette in general is more overhung and power oriented while Hitchiti is crimpier and more technical (?). There are more routes than what is posted on mp.com but at Hitchiti any new routes need a good bit of cleaning and at Juliette a lot of the unposted routes are down at the water line and under water most of the year (they were underwater all year in 2009).

I'm positive there are more boulders in the Macon area as it's basically on the fall line that runs from Augusta to Columbus. The questions is...is it worth all the work to hack your way into places for 12ft V0-1s? That's kind of where we were. We explored around Hitchiti and found the "Random Boulder" that's posted on mp.com and explored a bunch of the shoreline at Juliette with no luck. There is about a mile long 20ft high cliff line southeast of Macon at Brown's Mount that we though was going to be perfect except it's comprised of completely rotten limestone. There's also two other quarries in Macon that are both on private property. One has probably 50ft vertical walls but the rock is pretty rotten and the place is basically a snake pit. The other looks like good rock but it's privatly owned and the bottom is filled with water. There is sprewell bluff and Pine Mountain that are further away from Macon but Pine Mountain is off limits according to the State Park.

Some of the grades at Hitchiti and Juliette are probably off. Some of them were gathered from older info and on mp.com I chose not to change any. Some of the routes on mp.com were put up by us and it was just our best guess with no reference. I have no interest in getting into a grade pissing contest with anyone as I could care less what the route is graded at. It would be great to have more people climbing these routes and providing feedback for everyone. It would be great to have more climbers in the macon area as well. Just have to be careful not to abuse any access privilages that we have now. Juliette, Hitchiti, and Murder Creek are all on public land but so few people go the current access methods work just fine. You do have to be careful of some private property at Juliette.

Any way, glad to see others are interested in Mid GA Bouldering. You'd probably walk by most of these rocks in other places but in Mid Ga they are gold. I live in VA now but if you want any information just PM me. I'm down every now and then to visit family and try to get out to one of the areas.

JD

hamilton.brent09

May 8, 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #6 of 11 (5854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davis13au] Project South (December 2009) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I attempted to go down to the Hitchiti boulders, but apparently either the trail is overgrown or i misunderstood the directions.. any way you could give me a map location or gps coordinates? I really want to find it and it's pissing me off that I didn't haha..
thanks

davis13au

May 8, 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #7 of 11 (5830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hamilton.brent09] Project South (December 2009) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

33.0262,-83.7207 Just copy that into Google Maps. See here for more info too http://mountainproject.com/...i_boulders/106312923

Basically just park in the gravel lot on Jarell Plantation road and walk across the street to the trail head. Go thru the gate on the forest service road and follow the road all the way to the river. Turn right at the river and after 300 yards or so start looking back up the hill for boulders. There is a trail down there if you can see it. The last boulder you come to is #1 and is one of the largest. It gets really nasty and overgrown in the summer. Watch out for poison everything and ticks and snakes. It does stay relatively shaded though.

johnwesely

May 8, 2010, 1:22 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joshua007 wrote:
Before I commit to this project or even attempt to make it a real project and get people involved, let me have some feedback first.

I'd like to know how the climbing scene is in Eatonton and Macon; specifically Murder Creek (Cedar Creek WMA), Oconee WMA, Juliette, and Hitchiti areas. I'm looking to bring some fellow climbers down to help put the scene on the map better, literally. I want to make a few topo maps, solidify ratings, and find new/harder problems. You climbers in these areas have a much longer drive than we do for climbing so I thought it would be nice to get some classic boulder problems listed on this site for those interested in local stuff.

So let me know if you think the climbing scene in these areas could use some help.

This is, perhaps, the most condescending thing I have ever read. Why would the Middle Georgia climbers need you to do any of that? Are you some sort of climbing consultant?

userdude

Oct 8, 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hamilton.brent09] Project South (December 2009) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We visited Hitchiti in early summer this year. It was better quality than I expected and we plan on going back soon if anyone would be interested in meeting up.

kdchampion

May 5, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #10 of 11 (5298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [userdude] Project South (December 2009) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm...I just moved down to Griffin this week and am wanting to find out more information for the bouldering near Macon. I'll check out mountain project, but is anyone interested in meeting up some weekend and checking out the boulders?
Brent

userdude

May 6, 2011, 6:05 PM
Post #11 of 11 (5271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kdchampion] Project South (December 2009) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pm sent kdchampion

(This post was edited by userdude on May 6, 2011, 6:06 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook