Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
John Blow State Park
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

suilenroc

Aug 28, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #1 of 17 (7842 views)
Shortcut

John Blow State Park  (North_America: United_States: Ohio: Southwest_Ohio: John_Bryan_State_park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

This was the biggest waste of my climbing time... The rock is alright, slick, limestone, cool if you have never climbed limestone... Geology does not always make for a good crag, the anchors at the top that you have to use SUCK BALLSSSSSS, i would highly recommend to anyone wanting to climb there that they change their plans and climb in the Hocking Hills if you must climb in ohio, or go to kentucky, or west virginia, JOHN BRYAN STATE BLOW JOB. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME!!!!!!

matthelj

Dec 14, 2008, 1:43 AM
Post #2 of 17 (7583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] John Blow State Park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is an interesting comment. I guess if you're a passionate, high-level climber JB is not your best bet. However, for those of you still treading the preliminary stages of rock climbing, JB is an excellent spot to learn in a friend, safe, and beautiful environment.

It is also important to note, however, that there does exist a stunning plethora of big wall extremely challenge climbs in the area - they're just not legal or bolted. If you're adventurous, talented, and looking for first ascents, JB is your ticket. Leave the regular walls and head down hill towards the river, cross it, and head up to the other side of the gorge. There, you will find numerous 40' + difficult climbs.

suilenroc

Dec 14, 2008, 2:45 AM
Post #3 of 17 (7574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matthelj] John Blow State Park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Leave the regular walls and head down hill towards the river, cross it, and head up to the other side of the gorge. There, you will find numerous 40' + difficult climbs.

... and who's land are you treading on???

matthelj

Dec 14, 2008, 3:39 AM
Post #4 of 17 (7558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, that's difficult to say. Demarcating John Bryan State Park and the Clifton Natural Reserve can be difficult because they both encompass parts of the same river. If it's Clifton Natural Reserve territory, you're in trouble if you get caught. If it's John Bryan, no worries. Either way, there are no 'no climbing' signs in that area and its just enough off trail that most people (including the ranger) probably wouldn't notice you.

suilenroc

Dec 14, 2008, 4:11 AM
Post #5 of 17 (7551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If it's John Bryan, no worries.
Last year, you were only allowed to climb on designated routes. They did not allow building anchors from trees and you had to use the shisty bolts they installed 30+ years ago.

I doubt these rules have changed...

In reply to:
Either way, there are no 'no climbing' signs in that area and its just enough off trail that most people (including the ranger) probably wouldn't notice you.

FYI, you are probably going to be the wanker that the ranger notices and then come the signs...

Do what you want, but don't post illegal climbing areas. Access in Ohio sucks almost as much as the rock you dig. Tongue

matthelj

Dec 14, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #6 of 17 (7512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Negative Nancy,

Warding off potential climbers by posting "John Blow State Park" is hardly productive and sadly immature. It's fine if you don't want to climb at JB, you certainly wont be missed.

suilenroc

Dec 14, 2008, 7:09 PM
Post #7 of 17 (7501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, you are pretty good at missing the point!

In response to your comments about "John Blow State Park"... There are much better places to climb, call it "warding off" if you want. I see it more as my personal opinion from a personal experience while climbing there. Don't get me wrong, the gorge is beautiful - but this doesn't imply good climbing!

Immature, hell yeah!

matthelj

Dec 14, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #8 of 17 (7478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i didn't miss your point. I repeat: anyone uninterested with the established JB walls should check this new area out. If you climb it and it's already restricted, you'll be asked to leave - there will be no increase in 'restricted access to ohio climbs.' If you climb it and it's not restricted, there's a (slight) possibility someone will try to make it restricted - in this case, an area which isn't climbed anyway will become 'officially' unclimbable. My point is: nothing will change.

Best option yet though, ask an authority. if it's not legal, look into making it legal. If it's still JB terriroty (which is a state park, and not a nature reserve - like the gorge) there is a good possibility that the area could be opened up to climbing if enough people wanted it to be.

So, the lesson is: don't be a pessimistic and immature wanker. Rather, be an adventurous and ambitious climber, working toward opening up restricted areas, or growing some balls and exploring them anyway.

suilenroc

Dec 14, 2008, 8:28 PM
Post #9 of 17 (7474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fail

matthelj

Dec 14, 2008, 8:34 PM
Post #10 of 17 (7472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wink

matthelj

Dec 15, 2008, 2:13 AM
Post #11 of 17 (7445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it means anything to you, the walls I'm talking about aren't a part of the Nature Reserve, but actually John Bryan territory.

The JB website has a detailed map. The walls I am talking about are essentially on the other side of the river from where the established climbing areas are.

http://www.johnbryan.org/

It may not be too difficult to render these designated climbing areas too.

suilenroc

Dec 15, 2008, 2:19 AM
Post #12 of 17 (7444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It may not be too difficult to render these designated climbing areas too.

...maybe. Just be weary of climbing there, taking people there, and posting about a place that you have little knowledge. Shit, maybe its home to the Three-Toothed Snail...

Lazlo

Dec 15, 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #13 of 17 (7436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku

Dec 15, 2008, 2:38 AM
Post #14 of 17 (7432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

matthelj wrote:
It is also important to note, however, that there does exist a stunning plethora of big wall extremely challenge climbs in the area - they're just not legal or bolted. If you're adventurous, talented, and looking for first ascents, JB is your ticket. Leave the regular walls and head down hill towards the river, cross it, and head up to the other side of the gorge. There, you will find numerous 40' + difficult climbs.

Was that a joke?Crazy

suilenroc

Dec 15, 2008, 3:01 AM
Post #15 of 17 (7421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] John Blow State Park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
matthelj wrote:

Was that a joke?Crazy

I laughed, not because i thought he was kidding, but because i think he was serious... Tongue

octar

May 8, 2010, 7:43 PM
Post #16 of 17 (6832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just climbed at JB for the first time a few days ago. I read on this thread about the old
In reply to:
bolts and was a little worried about them from a safety point. After seeing them and hooking up, I have no idea why the poster would have an issue. The bolts are huge and show no signs of ware. I'd say it was just another elitist climber hating on JB.

Mattbed

Aug 9, 2010, 6:57 PM
Post #17 of 17 (6508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [octar] John Blow State Park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also recently went to JB last weekend. Beats climbing nothing in Columbus if you don't have the time to get to more interesting areas.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook