Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors
Rappelling is safer 5 / 6%
Lowering is safer 26 / 32%
Rappelling is better for preserving the integrity of bolted anchors (including chains, quicklinks, rap hangers, and regular hangers) 49 / 61%
Lowering is better for preserving the integrity of bolted anchors (including chains, quicklinks, rap hangers, and regular hangers)  0 / 0%
80 total votes
 

jakedatc


May 9, 2010, 6:24 PM
Post #126 of 128 (624 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 11054

Re: [cracklover] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
oh I forgot. You lame asses are primarily talking about clipping bolts, and apparently your belayer is too weak to clean the route when they second it. I forgot that all you gym weenies just clip bolts. My bad. Just expecxt to get your ass handed to you if you are found toproping and lowering off of fixed anchors, (which shouldn't be there in the first place).

RR

Us lame asses are pretty much entirely talking about clipping bolts. The Gunks is kind of a rare situation, with multi-pitch trad climbs in which so many of the routes just get the first pitch gang-toproped off bolted anchors.

Again, you're not really understanding the conditions this thread is referring to when you say "your belayer is too weak to clean the route when they second it". Most of the time, at sport crags, there is no second. Everyone leads it, and the last person up is responsible for cleaning the route on the way down. The question of the thread is: on rappel, or on lower.

But I agree that in the Gunks, those convenience bolted stations shouldn't even be there. Of course we both know that if they weren't there all kinds of fixed mank would appear in their place. So the bolts are most likely the lesser of two evils anyway.

GO

I'm going to TR through the Laurel anchors alll fucking day just to spite Rob.. oh wait.. the guided parties do that all fucking day anyway. saves me time.


ClimbClimb


May 9, 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #127 of 128 (600 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Posts: 387

Re: [rangerrob] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Let'sbe honest...the one and ONLY reason someone would lower off the anchor instaed of rapping down themselves is because they are too damned lazy to do the right thing.

I don't thinks that's true, many other reasons listed above for lowering besides laziness, among them:
1. safety
2. ability to clean certain routes
3. freeing up the climb for the next party sooner


jakedatc


May 10, 2010, 5:08 AM
Post #128 of 128 (582 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 11054

Re: [ClimbClimb] Rappelling or Lowering Through Bolted Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ClimbClimb wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
Let'sbe honest...the one and ONLY reason someone would lower off the anchor instaed of rapping down themselves is because they are too damned lazy to do the right thing.

I don't thinks that's true, many other reasons listed above for lowering besides laziness, among them:
1. safety
2. ability to clean certain routes
3. freeing up the climb for the next party sooner

Rob is in the belief that the world revolves around the gunks so he's a bit lost on how the rest of us operate.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook