Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
dogs at echo cliffs
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

johnbarleycorn

May 11, 2010, 8:49 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2338 views)
Shortcut

dogs at echo cliffs  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Echo_Cliffs)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

does anyone know if there is a by-pass for the re-bar ladder at echo cliffs? i've seen dogs past the ladder before and we will have a dog with us, but it's a large (80lbs) dog that can't be handed down the ladder and i wouldn't feel comfortable trying to lower him. we can split up and use different trails on the way in but i don't want to have to strand part of the group on one side of the ladder. thanks.

jb

mojomonkey

May 12, 2010, 6:10 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnbarleycorn] dogs at echo cliffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnbarleycorn wrote:
does anyone know if there is a by-pass for the re-bar ladder at echo cliffs? i've seen dogs past the ladder before and we will have a dog with us, but it's a large (80lbs) dog that can't be handed down the ladder and i wouldn't feel comfortable trying to lower him. we can split up and use different trails on the way in but i don't want to have to strand part of the group on one side of the ladder. thanks.

jb

Nowhere near me, but this thread about recent NPS bolt removal indicates dogs are not allowed at Echo. Per socalbolter's post after talking to the head ranger:
In reply to:
Specific to Echo, please remember:

No trash left behind.
No dogs at the crag.
No fires.
No overnight camping at the crag or parking areas.
No cross-country travel.
No climbing in closed areas.

That should probably be added to the area's info page, which currently only gives a different impression, saying:
In reply to:
Dogs are allowed on the trails, but not on the cliff.

In either case, the info is probably missed as it is less obvious in the "access issues" section after lat/long, and not noted in the "About Echo" section.

jt512

May 12, 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnbarleycorn wrote:

jb

Please stop bringing dogs to Echo Cliffs. It's against NPS regulations, and the area has recently come under close NPS scrutiny. If we don't play by the rules at Echo, we may find that the Park Service closes it to climbing.

We've already lost Williamson, and we're likely to lose New Jack due to proposed wind and solar energy development there. We can't afford to lose Echo, too.

Please cooperate.

Jay

johnbarleycorn

May 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] dogs at echo cliffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i didn't feel like advertising that this is a service dog, but it is and by law it goes anywhere the disabled person goes. that includes national parks. be it echo or williamson. and, btw, dogs aren't the problems, it's the owners, but that's just my opinion. wasn't aware that echo was now a national park. thanks for the help anyway.

jb

jt512

May 12, 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnbarleycorn wrote:
...wasn't aware that echo was now a national park. thanks for the help anyway.

Echo is located within the Santa Monica National Recreation area, which is under NPS jurisdiction. And the rangers are watching.

Jay

sidepull

May 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnbarleycorn wrote:
... btw, dogs aren't the problems, it's the owners, but that's just my opinion. ...

jb

And this chicken / egg logic solves what exactly? All you're doing is arguing for people to re-direct anger from the poor defenseless pooch who really just wants to hang around at the base of cliff because that's what dogs would naturally do, to the evil human overlords that haven't trained their dogs to sniff other human's crotches in a nice way. None of this mis-direction matters: if a dog isn't allowed, it's not allowed (obviously your case is the exception).

tripperjm

May 12, 2010, 6:54 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] dogs at echo cliffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
johnbarleycorn wrote:
...wasn't aware that echo was now a national park. thanks for the help anyway.

Echo is located within the Santa Monica National Recreation area, which is under NPS jurisdiction. And the rangers are watching.

Jay

Hard to say what is really happening...

check out Tony Bird and the Chief's postings, concerning Williamson and Echo.

http://www.supertopo.com/...d=1159310&tn=120

http://www.supertopo.com/...d=1159310&tn=140

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook