Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kjaking

May 13, 2010, 4:24 AM
Post #1 of 38 (12301 views)
Shortcut

Ever been dropped by your belayer?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was climbing at the Cosumnes River Gorge this weekend on dinkum crack, a finger crack with friction for feet that is between 40 and 45 feet high. I got just past the crux (about 30 feet up, and maybe 6 feet above my last peice), and slotted a stopper about eye level. When I was pulling slack to clip, my foot slipped, sending me for a ride. I figured I would be in for a little fall, but quickly realized that it was more than that. I ultimately ended up on the ground with a bruised ego and shot nerves. When I asked my buddy why I was down there (with a few expletives in there), he mumbled something about not having a secure stance. I know that the fundamental mistakes that I made were not using a auto-assist belay device and not anchoring my belayer, as he set up several feet away from the wall and let out lots of rope as evidenced by the slight rope burn he had.

Two questions come of this for me are:
Should the belayer be responsible at all for setting up a secure belay? - Or does it fall entirely on the climber?
Has anybody else ever had this kind of "being dropped" experience?

redlude97

May 13, 2010, 6:44 AM
Post #2 of 38 (12257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kjaking] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are leaving out some key info. Did you deck because your belayer didn't lock off, or because too much slack was out? Did you pull any of your pieces? Was your belayer shot into the air up to the first piece? Describe the situation with a bit more detail please

jt512

May 13, 2010, 7:16 AM
Post #3 of 38 (12247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Give me a T: T
Give me an R: R
Give me an O: O
Give me an L: L
Give me another L: L goddammit!

What's that spell? TROLL!

Jay

airscape

May 13, 2010, 9:37 AM
Post #4 of 38 (12214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay

I really cringe anytime someone spells stuff out like that.
It's might just be me though, but I really hate it.

nothing personal.
just a thought.

Partner j_ung

May 13, 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #5 of 38 (12168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

I really cringe anytime someone spells stuff out like that.
It's might just be me though, but I really hate it.

nothing personal.
just a thought.

Really? I love it. It's like soaking nekkid in a cool tub of beer on a hot day to me.

OP, it's his fault and yours. Accidents are rarely the result of one error, and yours doesn't seem any different. Two right off the bat: your partner is a poor belayer and you shouldn't have been on his rope. I have been dropped, and it was a hard lesson to learn early in my climbing life. I never climbed with that guy again, and today, I'm a little particular about who I rope up with and what I climb when I haven't logged a lot of hours with my belayer.

Partner j_ung

May 13, 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #6 of 38 (12156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:
I was climbing at the Cosumnes River Gorge this weekend on dinkum crack, a finger crack with friction for feet that is between 40 and 45 feet high. I got just past the crux (about 30 feet up, and maybe 6 feet above my last peice), and slotted a stopper about eye level. When I was pulling slack to clip, my foot slipped, sending me for a ride. I figured I would be in for a little fall, but quickly realized that it was more than that. I ultimately ended up on the ground with a bruised ego and shot nerves. When I asked my buddy why I was down there (with a few expletives in there), he mumbled something about not having a secure stance. I know that the fundamental mistakes that I made were not using a auto-assist belay device and not anchoring my belayer, as he set up several feet away from the wall and let out lots of rope as evidenced by the slight rope burn he had.

Should the belayer be responsible at all for setting up a secure belay? - Or does it fall entirely on the climber?

Quoted, just in case. Wink

granite_grrl

May 13, 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #7 of 38 (12147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:

The climber should take responsibility on choosing their belayer and climbing routes that are appropriate with said belayer.

bill413

May 13, 2010, 1:04 PM
Post #8 of 38 (12144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I put this as mostly belayers fault, but don't absolve the OP of all blame.

WTF - He didn't have a secure stance, but was "belaying?" What did he expect to happen when the OP fell.
He was belaying away from the cliff?

The OP knew he was belaying away from the cliff?

The OP believes that an autolocking device would change this? An autolocking device does NOTHING for setting up a stupid belay situation.

[/spleen; vent]

karmiclimber

May 13, 2010, 1:22 PM
Post #9 of 38 (12125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:

Heh...I've belayed and climbed Dinkum. Every time one or the other belayed...we anchored the belayer down. DUH. Figure out that the belayer doesn't have a secure stance before proceeding. NOOB (I have always wanted to say that. OMG).

airscape

May 13, 2010, 1:35 PM
Post #10 of 38 (12105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
kjaking wrote:

Heh...I've belayed and climbed Dinkum. Every time one or the other belayed...we anchored the belayer down. DUH. Figure out that the belayer doesn't have a secure stance before proceeding. NOOB (I have always wanted to say that. OMG).

*n00b

You loose n00b Tongue

karmiclimber

May 13, 2010, 1:39 PM
Post #11 of 38 (12098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
kjaking wrote:

*n00b

You loose n00b Tongue

Crap. My one chance. And I blew it :-((

bill413

May 13, 2010, 1:41 PM
Post #12 of 38 (12093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
kjaking wrote:

*n00b

You loose n00b Tongue

Oh, I'm sure you'll eventually run across another n00b sometime.

karmiclimber

May 13, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #13 of 38 (12065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
kjaking wrote:

*n00b

You loose n00b Tongue

Yeah, but that entails finding someone even more n00b-ly than me. Or at least being able to surmise it in so many words. And when I do? Those punks give me one star. Effers.

bill413

May 13, 2010, 2:25 PM
Post #14 of 38 (12054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
bill413 wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
kjaking wrote:

*n00b

You loose n00b Tongue

Yeah, but that entails finding someone even more n00b-ly than me. Or at least being able to surmise it in so many words. And when I do? Those punks give me one star. Effers.

Wear that star proudly! It's a sign that your post has engendered a reaction beyond the norm.

airscape

May 13, 2010, 2:26 PM
Post #15 of 38 (12052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
kjaking wrote:

*n00b

You loose n00b Tongue

*cough*me*cough*

karmiclimber

May 13, 2010, 2:33 PM
Post #16 of 38 (12035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
bill413 wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
kjaking wrote:

*n00b

You loose n00b Tongue

*cough*me*cough*

Not really. I don't even know who Chongo is! You got punked :P

kjaking

May 13, 2010, 2:47 PM
Post #17 of 38 (12013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was a combination of away from the cliff and letting out rope when he did end up at the first piece, so at least an autolocker would have stopped me at the first piece. I know the mistake I made, I just wasn't paying that much attention to my belayer.

acorneau

May 13, 2010, 3:00 PM
Post #18 of 38 (11991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:
It was a combination of away from the cliff and letting out rope when he did end up at the first piece, so at least an autolocker would have stopped me at the first piece. I know the mistake I made, I just wasn't paying that much attention to my belayer.

A grigri can have it's cam release if it hits up against the first quickdraw/piece of gear.

Don't blame the lack of an auto-blocking belay device.

johnwesely

May 13, 2010, 3:07 PM
Post #19 of 38 (11984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
kjaking wrote:

A grigri can have it's cam release if it hits up against the first quickdraw/piece of gear.

The Gri Gri is an Auto Locking device. You can't use auto blocking devices to belay a leader.

acorneau

May 13, 2010, 3:27 PM
Post #20 of 38 (11966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
The Gri Gri is an Auto Locking device. You can't use auto blocking devices to belay a leader.

Really?

My Reverso3 is an auto-blocking belay device and I belay leaders all the time.

Weird.
Crazy

Alpinisto

May 13, 2010, 3:33 PM
Post #21 of 38 (11961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Really?

Weird.
Crazy

Troo, the Rev3 is an auto-blocking device, but you're not using it in autoblock mode when you're belaying a leader.

At least, I hope to hell you're not... Shocked

acorneau

May 13, 2010, 3:35 PM
Post #22 of 38 (11960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alpinisto] Ever been dropped by your belayer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpinisto wrote:
Troo, the Rev3 is an auto-blocking device, but you're not using it in autoblock mode when you're belaying a leader.

At least, I hope to hell you're not... Shocked

Maybe that's why they keep telling me that I'm short-roping them...

Hmm, I'll have to think about that one.

Sly

johnwesely

May 13, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #23 of 38 (11943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Really?

Weird.
Crazy

I meant in the auto blocking mode. I apologize for being unclear.

kjaking

May 13, 2010, 4:34 PM
Post #24 of 38 (11922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
kjaking wrote:

I'm not blaming it, I was just noting that it could have added a layer of protection. The fall happened in three stages:
1. Fell about 15feet due to pulling slack/being 6ish feet above my last peice.
2. Got to end of that slack, and yanked my belayer off the ground, about 7 feet of gentle braking.
3. When my belayer hit the first piece, he released his brake hand and let me free fall the last 6 feet to the ground.

Maybe a gri gri would have hit the first draw and been ineffective, but it might just prevent actually hitting the ground. I assumed that when my partner said "climb," everything was ok, but it obviously was not. Communication broke down, but all I can do is try to make things safer the next time.

marc801

May 13, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #25 of 38 (11905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:
acorneau wrote:
kjaking wrote:

I'm not blaming it, I was just noting that it could have added a layer of protection. The fall happened in three stages:
1. Fell about 15feet due to pulling slack/being 6ish feet above my last peice.
2. Got to end of that slack, and yanked my belayer off the ground, about 7 feet of gentle braking.
3. When my belayer hit the first piece, he released his brake hand and let me free fall the last 6 feet to the ground.

Maybe a gri gri would have hit the first draw and been ineffective, but it might just prevent actually hitting the ground. I assumed that when my partner said "climb," everything was ok, but it obviously was not. Communication broke down, but all I can do is try to make things safer the next time.
Your belayer is incompetent.
You saw the belay arrangement, but decided to climb anyway, thus you're incompetent as well.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook