RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

CaliforniaNoob

May 13, 2010, 6:23 AM
Post #1 of 17 (6589 views)
Shortcut

What to spend money on
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am new to rock climbing and I am getting addicted. I am a college student on a budget and have two choices. I can get a climbing gym membership or buy a rope and quickdraws. the nearest climbing gym is 20 minutes away so i have to include gas money. I do live 30 minutes from "Grotto, in the table mountain area. its great place to lead climb and has many problems. But I don't know if im experienced enough to climb them all. what should i do?

USnavy

May 13, 2010, 9:26 AM
Post #2 of 17 (6557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CaliforniaNoob] What to spend money on [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm... I would wait on buying a rope and draws. Get a harness and basic gear and go climbing (outside) with someone else who already has gear. Start out on top rope and once you get things down switch to lead and ask to use your partners draws and rope. Once you get some experience you will be able to make a better selection on gear as you will have some knowledge on what type of equipment you like. Try as many different draws and ropes as you can to get a feel for what you like.

(This post was edited by USnavy on May 13, 2010, 9:30 AM)

CaliforniaNoob

May 13, 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #3 of 17 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] What to spend money on [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot to add that I have a harness, shoes, and a chalk bag. I have went climbing with a friend who has gear. I have been top roping outside once, I bouldered a couple times, and been top roping at a climbing gym about 5 times. I never had the chance to use draws and i don't know what kind of rope the gym uses. my friend says that wire quickdraws are better.

wrbill

May 13, 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #4 of 17 (6536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The type of draws you use makes no difference, just as long as the are for climbing. Get what "YOU LIKE" and what feels good in "YOUR HAND". I bought my own rope after having climbed only 3 times. I did three sport leads on my third time out. The 1st was a easy 5.5, then I think a 5.6 and a 5.8. You are ready to lead when you feel you are ready. Just have someone with you that knows how to lead so they can watch you and make sure you don't back clip, z-clip etc. etc. What you spend your money on it up to you, but if I were you I would get the rope and draws. That way when you go to the crag you have another rope to TR on and can set up two routes and get more climbs in faster.

MY 2 CENT.

Bill

USnavy

May 13, 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #5 of 17 (6515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CaliforniaNoob wrote:
I forgot to add that I have a harness, shoes, and a chalk bag. I have went climbing with a friend who has gear. I have been top roping outside once, I bouldered a couple times, and been top roping at a climbing gym about 5 times. I never had the chance to use draws and i don't know what kind of rope the gym uses. my friend says that wire quickdraws are better.
Wiregates are better in some aspects and worse in others. In the game of climbing very few products are universally better, only better in some aspects and worse in others.

Anyway if you have only been top roping once you don't need to worry bout draws yet. Just keep climbing with your partners and eventually you will be able to answer this question yourself.

granite_grrl

May 13, 2010, 1:03 PM
Post #6 of 17 (6475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CaliforniaNoob wrote:
It sounds like you want to learn how to run before you even know how to walk.

Don't worry about quick draws. Don't worry about leading. Picking up enough webbing, biners and a rope will be expensive enough. Learn the basics, how to build anchors, how to belay, hell, how to move on the rock, and then start worrying about details like getting wiregates or bentgates on your draws.

shockabuku

May 13, 2010, 2:17 PM
Post #7 of 17 (6436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Can you get to the Grotto regularly, with a partner, and if you buy the gear do you have enough money to make the 30 minute drive, or do you have a regular partner with gear or gas money? If yes, then stay outside. If no, I'd probably get the gym membership. Many people will say derogatory things about the gym but in feet/hour you will probably get more climbing done, you'll most likely meet more people and develop more opportunities, and it's open rain or shine.

And then go outside when you can.

shimanilami

May 13, 2010, 2:30 PM
Post #8 of 17 (6421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Grotto and nearby crags (Far Side, Fissures, Gold Wall, White Room, Jailhouse, etc.) comprise a training facility that is far superior to the best gym on earth. And then you've got the Valley and beyond. I would kill to be in your shoes.

Ditch the gym. Buy yourself a rope and draws. Get outside.

And if you're even halfway cool, then you ought to be able to befriend enough car owners that you'll always be able to catch a ride.

mrtristan

May 13, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #9 of 17 (6386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. What everyone else said. Get the rope and draws.

tslater

May 13, 2010, 6:06 PM
Post #10 of 17 (6363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrtristan] What to spend money on [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

... and then buy "California Road Trip A Climber's Guide" so you can climb at nearby Burst Rock and other areas on SPH, or 105 other areas in Nor Cal.
Get out there and climb it!

patmay81

May 13, 2010, 6:58 PM
Post #11 of 17 (6341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's not much experience required for sport climbing. do you know how to belay? how to clip draws (no back clipping or z clipping)? get outside!
gyms are for occasional rain days, not for regular activity.

dont.trip

May 13, 2010, 8:07 PM
Post #12 of 17 (6311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] What to spend money on [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would get basic toprope gear and a bouldering mat. Bouldering will help you build movement skills better...and there are so many areas up and down the 108 that have good bouldering and toproping. Better yet, just get a pad since you need someone else to rope up with anyways...just make sure your partner has the gear.

I bought a mat first because I could do it alone. Anytime I climbed routes, I just depended on my partner for the gear...

I climb in your area all the time. Let me know if you ever need a partner.

(This post was edited by dont.trip on May 13, 2010, 8:07 PM)

norm1057

May 13, 2010, 8:32 PM
Post #13 of 17 (6293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stay out of the gym and stay outside!

CaliforniaNoob

May 13, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #14 of 17 (6286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norm1057] What to spend money on [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the info. I did take a belay class and i am certified now. My friend has that book about all the climbing spots. I have friends that climb regularly. I should climb outside because there are a lot of boulder and top roping spots. And having two ropes is a great idea so i don't slow anyone down.

CaliforniaNoob

May 14, 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #15 of 17 (6141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

BTW I like the fact that most rock climbing women we meet have nice bodies. hahaha

airscape

May 18, 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #16 of 17 (5992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CaliforniaNoob wrote:
BTW I like the fact that most rock climbing women we meet have nice bodies. hahaha

Yah!!.. hahaha.... both of them Unimpressed

USnavy

May 18, 2010, 1:41 PM
Post #17 of 17 (5970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CaliforniaNoob wrote:
So do hookers. Spend your money on them. Plus you will get more bang for your buck! Laugh

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook