RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

onwardupward

May 15, 2010, 7:11 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2717 views)
Shortcut

pain from harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, I need some advice. I've only been climbing for a month now, but I've been in some serious pain from my harness. My leg loops tend to ride up, and when I take a fall (toproping) or am belaying for a while the loops pull upward. The inside of my thighs near my groin are really tender and are a little bruised. Are my leg loops too tight? Waist too loose? does my harness just not fit? Thanks!

carabiner96

May 17, 2010, 2:04 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onwardupward] pain from harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it a men's or unisex harness? If so, there's your problem.

gblauer

May 17, 2010, 2:56 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you using the gym rental harness? There are so many harnesses out there, you have to find one that works for you. I have the Metollius safe tech and I can hang for hours (and have) without any pain at all.

Try making adjustments to your harness and see if it feels any better. If not, sell it on craigslist and start again. Test harnesses at your gym, while hanging.

onwardupward

May 17, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] pain from harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, it's not a rental, but it is a unisex harness. I think I'm going to try out a black diamond primrose and see if that feels any better. Thanks for the imput.

(This post was edited by onwardupward on May 17, 2010, 3:06 PM)

gblauer

May 17, 2010, 3:17 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sell the old one on RC.com, craigslist or at your gym. Or, keep it. Eventually you will convince a friend to climb and you will need an extra harness. I can't tell you how many "extras" we have.

Try a bunch and make sure you hang in them. Ask other women (who have a shape similar to you) what harnesses they are using. Really, your harness should be pretty darn comfortable.

drivel

May 17, 2010, 4:20 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onwardupward wrote:
Hi all, I need some advice. I've only been climbing for a month now, but I've been in some serious pain from my harness. My leg loops tend to ride up, and when I take a fall (toproping) or am belaying for a while the loops pull upward. The inside of my thighs near my groin are really tender and are a little bruised. Are my leg loops too tight? Waist too loose? does my harness just not fit? Thanks!

leg loops too loose can be a cause- if your leg loops hang down when you climb and then slide up your legs when you fall, they can chafe/bruise your thighs in quick order. they may not need to be substantially tighter, but when you start climbing, they should already be positioned basically as high as they can go on your legs, so they don't slide when you fall.

carabiner96

May 17, 2010, 7:24 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] pain from harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just remember last summer I 'upgraded' to a mens harness for features, and by the end of the day felt like I had been kicked in my lady junk by an elephant.

karmiclimber

May 18, 2010, 3:19 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another thought...I had this problem when I climbed with a men's Mammut harness. But then I got one with stretchy leg loops...and problem solved. Finding a harness was a bit of a challenge for me...because I have a small waist and more than a little junk in the trunk. Finding a good harness was like finding the right jeans...virtually impossible.
Also, it helps to wear the quick dry pants...because if you get sweaty like I do when you climb...it becomes chaff city unless I am wearing the moisture wicking pants.

tallgirl

Jun 3, 2010, 7:53 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is also a product out there for cyclist's called Chamois Butter that reduces chaffing. I've never used it but it was recommended by a trusted friend. It sounds like the fit of your harness is more the culprit, but if secondarily your experiencing wear and tear, I'd try this.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$8.55 (10% off)
$159.57 (10% off)
$8.55 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook