Premier Sponsor:

bold
Deleted

Nov 9, 2001, 10:56 AM
Post #1 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Not knowing what's gonna be in that next hold
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The worst experience that i ever had? one day i went out climbing with a few buddies and my partner and i started our route. Come to find out when he reaches for that last hold he puts his hand in a pile of shit. Where it came, well only god knows that question.

coach

Nov 9, 2001, 2:26 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Not knowing what's gonna be in that next hold [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yesterday I had my first unpleasant experience of this type and it was on our own climbing wall. I was working on an endurance climb and went for a medium pocket and a yellow jacket came out and went straight for my face. I was on top rope and just let go and hollered to my belay to get me the hell out of there. He lowered me about 5 feet and I cooled off. I noticed there were several yellow jackets buzzing around and decided to call it a day.

Climb On

rck_climber

Nov 9, 2001, 4:30 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear ya, bold, I've had numerous encounters with the famed suicidal, dive-bombing sparrows at the Garden of the Gods. Reach in to a hueco-type pocket and out comes a kamakazi sparrow - whew, that'll give you a wake-up call!

Mick

beta

Nov 9, 2001, 4:39 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I feel your pain, when I lived and climbed in Arizona, and now to a lesser degree New mexico, Reaching up and grabbing a cactus will really get your attention, those mothers hurt

Jeff

woodse

Nov 9, 2001, 5:45 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah bat crap feels cool!!!!

amethyst

Nov 9, 2001, 6:42 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a snake almost fall on me while belaying. I nearly had heart failure, but my climbing partner has never recovered!
Then there was the centipede that politely crawled past my nose. It would not have been so bad if it had not been longer than my forearm and suffering a severe case of rabies.
And of course the baby birds that I almost murdered when I attemped a hand jam while climbing some forgotten route in the middle of nowhere. Which also would not have been that bad, except for the fact that what I think were the parents returned before I was on firm ground. And proceded to 'dive bomb' me.
Hey, you have gotto love climbing in Africa.

climberchk

Nov 9, 2001, 7:05 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok,my first day leading. I was all nervous and scared, but my friends were there encouraging me, and so was the guy who I really supa liked a lot. Any who... I was half way up this climb and rocks started to fall. When I went to clip my 4th bolt I noticed it was lose and asked if it was still safe, being a bunch of men they said, "Don't fall, if you do the bolt will probably fall out, just go to the top and you'll be safe." I was so freaked out by this I didn't even bother to look at my next hold before reaching into it and feeling the slimy guts of the spider I had just killed run between my fingers. I let out the loudest scream you're ever heard, and then let go. I screamed almost the whole way down thinking I was going to die. and they still don't let me foget.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 10, 2001, 4:29 AM
Post #8 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I went to Malibu Creek last a key large pocket was now a bees nest. Went from 5.10a to 5.10d, my friend loitered near it and got stung on lead. He didn't get the RP.

hardcoredana

Nov 11, 2001, 12:43 AM
Post #9 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look out for things in yer climbing shoes too! My friend had just finished tying in to climb, put his shoes on, and felt something squishy inside. Took the shoe off, and there was a smooshed caterpillar on his big toe. An hour later, his foot was so swollen, he couldn't even drive home! I guess caterpillars are poisonous, or some people are allergic to them, or something!

talons05

Nov 11, 2001, 1:33 AM
Post #10 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend and I were on "New Era" in Garden of the Gods about two months ago. Upon reaching the belay after the second pitch, I tried to grasp the webbing hanging there to give it a tug. When I moved my hand, I was assaulted by a giant pidgeon! Don't laugh, I almost fell off the ledge backwards!

AW

i.karen
Deleted

Nov 11, 2001, 2:28 AM
Post #11 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When rrradam and I were climbing at Devils Tower we were attacked by microscopic fleas. You could feel them crawling all over !!!!! No place to stop and loiter!

talons05

Nov 11, 2001, 2:37 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone who's climbed in AR may have seen these:

Once, while climbing at Mt. Magazine, I reached a belay ledge to find a small, wide-eyed rodent chewing on a piece of webbing... How encouraging...

AW

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook