Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Castle Hill Bouldering?...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

geissgold

May 17, 2010, 4:41 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Castle Hill Bouldering?...  (Australasia: New_Zealand)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm headed to NZ for the first time starting next week and I'm determined to boulder at Castle Hill at least one day while I'm there. The place looks magical.

I'll be w/ two outdoors/athletic non-climbers and will have no crash-pad.

If anyone has any tips, advice, beta I would greatly welcome it. I'll have my shoes with me and will be traveling as much of the South island as I can, hopefully I can get a bit of climbing in here and there.

Thanks!!
!!G

PS: I can boulder V3 / 6a/6a+

I_do

May 17, 2010, 8:52 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geissgold] Castle Hill Bouldering?... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geissgold wrote:
I'm headed to NZ for the first time starting next week and I'm determined to boulder at Castle Hill at least one day while I'm there. The place looks magical.

I'll be w/ two outdoors/athletic non-climbers and will have no crash-pad.

If anyone has any tips, advice, beta I would greatly welcome it. I'll have my shoes with me and will be traveling as much of the South island as I can, hopefully I can get a bit of climbing in here and there.

Thanks!!
!!G

PS: I can boulder V3 / 6a/6a+

Well I would advice you to just go there ;o). You can rent pads in springfield which is just down the road. They sell guides in some of the outdoor shops in Christchurch. I stayed at the hotel in springfield which has decent food and is cheap, it's 10-20 minutes ride top the car park next to spitlle hill and quantum field two of the main area's, but there's also some places to stay in castle hill. If you go to flock hill, which is a 45 min hike from another car park you need to fill out a form at some kind of venue down the road frm castel hill towards the west coast. Please do this, the ground is privately owned and I'd like to be able to still have acces when I ever get in the neighbourhood again ;o).

Other then that if you have any other questions let me know, and I'm sure some of the kiwi's on this site will chime in.

Cheers.

ps if you just go to spittle and quantum you don't really need a guide.

Also don't read to much into the grades, castle hill has some pretty awkward moves, I failed on V0 more then once but also ticked a V4, very style dependent.

geissgold

May 21, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Castle Hill Bouldering?... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey! Thanks so much for all the valuable info!... I'm just getting all my last minute details figured out but this information certainly makes the day! Been looking forward to these boulders for such a long time!

!!G

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$19.76 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook