RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

newschooler89

May 24, 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #1 of 10 (9279 views)
Shortcut

Hip joint pain!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have always had an issue with my hips and simple leg movement. Sometimes I have no problems, and others i'll be limping around for a bit. It doesn't matter what activity I am doing, when I move either leg out, the joint in my hip will tense up and it somewhat feels like my leg wants to jump out of the socket.
Originally I thought it was the lack of stretching and have researched a number of stretches and have thoroughly went through them all. I have also worked on strengthening my lower abs(l-sits,leg lifts,ect) and lower back(dead lifts, ect). On a positive note, all those areas have been strengthened and I have became more flexible, but only when there is no pain.
To somewhat clearly explain where the pain is, is simply on top of the joint or groin and the pain can radiate from the front to the side of my leg.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and apologies for the lack of anatomy jargon,

jon

onceahardman

May 25, 2010, 1:34 AM
Post #2 of 10 (9259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newschooler89] Hip joint pain! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

newschooler89 wrote:
I have always had an issue with my hips and simple leg movement. Sometimes I have no problems, and others i'll be limping around for a bit. It doesn't matter what activity I am doing, when I move either leg out, the joint in my hip will tense up and it somewhat feels like my leg wants to jump out of the socket.
Originally I thought it was the lack of stretching and have researched a number of stretches and have thoroughly went through them all. I have also worked on strengthening my lower abs(l-sits,leg lifts,ect) and lower back(dead lifts, ect). On a positive note, all those areas have been strengthened and I have became more flexible, but only when there is no pain.
To somewhat clearly explain where the pain is, is simply on top of the joint or groin and the pain can radiate from the front to the side of my leg.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and apologies for the lack of anatomy jargon,

jon

Doesn't sound real simple.

Inguinal crease pain (front of the hip) can be referred from lumbar spine, sacroiliac joint, or hip joint.

Have you ever injured this hip? A torn acetabular labrum could account for your symptoms. There are also several congenital conditions (dysplagia) which could account for the problem.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to stretch for what you describe as a feeling of instability. If it's unstable, it's usually better to try to increase stability through strengthening, rather than further increase mobility.

That said, increasing stability is difficult. It doesn't always work. You may end up needing to manage this, rather than cure it. See a good hip ortho, and a good exercise-based PT.

darkgift06

Jun 8, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #3 of 10 (9150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Hip joint pain! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have close to the same pain... & some days its very pain full to just lift my knee up to hip height.

My situation is from climbing, I was leading in a corner lay back move & I wanted to place a peace so I stemed my feet & did a drop knee with my left foot so that I could get closer to the corner to place a peace. Well it put so much tension on my hip it physically hurt while doing the move & then I fell.. now my hip hurts all the time like when I was in the move. Kinda feels like my hip wants to pop out but there is just enough hurt/inflamed muscle or tendon holding it in place. Its been almost a month now & it hurts every day. between my hip & my knees I should be get a sponsor from Advil.

jonapprill

Jun 8, 2010, 6:09 PM
Post #4 of 10 (9127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Hip joint pain! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Femoroacetabular Impingement would be high on the list, especially since it's a bilateral problem. Get a good ortho to x-ray your hips.

onceahardman

Jun 8, 2010, 6:24 PM
Post #5 of 10 (9118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonapprill] Hip joint pain! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jonapprill wrote:
Femoroacetabular Impingement would be high on the list, especially since it's a bilateral problem. Get a good ortho to x-ray your hips.

While I don't disagree it might be an impingement, the problem (as described above) is unilateral, not bilateral. Also, a regular x-ray is not a very accurate way of diagnosing a relatively fresh impingement.

Other than that, though...

darkgift06

Jun 9, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #6 of 10 (9079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Hip joint pain! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I googled Femoroacetabular Impingement & it sounds like what I have... I also saw a dr who felt that it was more swelling & inflimation around the joint.. so I've been taking ib profin & not doing drop knees lol. but I'm still climbing & hiking.. any one know of a good physio exercise I can do to help promote healing?

onceahardman

Jun 9, 2010, 9:49 PM
Post #7 of 10 (9062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Hip joint pain! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Swelling and inflammation around the joint", can cause an impingement.

I thought these exercises were interesting, although the author unfortunately cites "Sandra Sahrmann", when the brilliant PT who has originally characterized this stuff is really, "Shirley Sahrmann".

http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/...eus_max_hip_pain.htm

yanqui

Jul 13, 2010, 3:18 PM
Post #8 of 10 (8890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newschooler89] Hip joint pain! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My chronic stiffness and pain problem in the hips turned out to be osteoarthritis, which is a drag to have but was super easy to diagnose from x-rays when I finally went to the doctor to get checked.

(This post was edited by yanqui on Jul 13, 2010, 3:39 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook