RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

mikej

May 27, 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #1 of 8 (7392 views)
Shortcut

Climbing gym customer statistics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For all of you gym owners out there, how did you find the statistics to prove how many members, parties, first timers, etc... that you get on a regular basis. I'm working on opening a new gym and its the final piece i'm missing on a business plan. Im also short on funding. Looking into commercial loans for land, building and materials. Any suggestions for either?

deltav

May 28, 2010, 1:27 AM
Post #2 of 8 (7341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikej] Climbing gym customer statistics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am interested in this info if anyone has anything to share.

Landale

May 29, 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #3 of 8 (7283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hate to be a bummer here, but you're not gonna find a lotta gym owners who are willing to give up this info. There are consulting companies out there who may sell you those kinds of figures. I'm not here to pimp any one of them, but you can do some basic research and find them yourself.

jomagam

May 30, 2010, 1:11 AM
Post #4 of 8 (7262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would look at how far the closest gyms are, how busy they are, how many people live in the area that you could draw from and how much money they have, how popular climbing is around where you live. Comparing that with other areas will give you a good idea if it's wise to start a new business. I'm not sure if that'll be good enough for the banks, but my guess is that they'll want your house as a collateral anyways.

cacalderon

May 31, 2010, 1:11 AM
Post #5 of 8 (7161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's an interesting question but a tough one to answer.

You could try going to a gym in the area and talking to the owner manager for some advice.

kletter1mann

Jun 2, 2010, 1:00 AM
Post #6 of 8 (7065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mikej wrote:
....and its the final piece i'm missing on a business plan. Im also short on funding. ....
You got it bassackwards. Until you have a business plan you got nothing cause you have no way of knowing if any of the rest makes any sense. Anyway, get a consulting package from one of the wall companies. I suggest Rockwerx, their plan template is excellent. You'll get a lot of methodologies to make the estimates. And they'll all be wrong, cause there's really no way to know, but they'll be lot better than you'd do on your own. If there's another local gym compare your estimates with what they do if they'll tell you. Whatever you do, don't build small. If you do somebody will come by a couple years later with a supergym and shut you down.

rschap

Jun 5, 2010, 3:38 AM
Post #7 of 8 (6950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kletter1mann] Climbing gym customer statistics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can make assumptions based on the population of the area you are in. The US Census has the breakdown of how many people live in each town, and county and you can then say “15% of all people climb rocks at some point in their lives so therefore 150 of the 1000 people that live in this town are going to visit my gym”. It’s a guessing game if you don’t know what you’re doing and don’t have good numbers to start with. It’s most of the reason why consulting companies exist.

I just recently bought a climbing gym but I went through unconventional means do to all the lenders I talked to telling me there wasn’t enough in sellable assets for them to sell if I defaulted. While it may cost a lot to build a climbing gym it is so specialized it’s hard to sell. I don’t know if I can help you with the loan part but if you have any questions feel free to email me.

mikej

Jul 24, 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #8 of 8 (6577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Climbing gym customer statistics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys for the info, i've been out of town and moving across town. Ive basically completed my business plan and found some sports data info. there's a couple of you i probably will message for more questions. I appreciate all the responses.

(This post was edited by mikej on Jul 24, 2010, 10:54 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook