Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
In Honolulu for 2.5 months
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

 


Tyrande


Jun 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #1 of 21 (8459 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 3, 2009
Posts: 4

In Honolulu for 2.5 months  (North_America: United_States: Hawaii)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys,

I'm staying in Honolulu with my sister this summer, and was looking to get out climbing a bit. I'm wondering if there's any of you nice enough to take a 5.9-10+ climber out to show me the ropes of the locals. If you want to know anything about me just ask! You can email me too and I'll get back to you soon. Cheers and happy climbing! tyrande4@hotmail.com

Morgan


PosiDave


Jun 5, 2010, 1:19 PM
Post #2 of 21 (8381 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 23

Re: [Tyrande] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climbaloha.com



It was pretty tough when I lived out there to find people to climb with on rope. Do you have your own gear with you (Rope,Draws)? Do you have a way to get to the Crags? I'll talk to me friends and see who may be interested.


Partner oldsalt


Jun 5, 2010, 5:25 PM
Post #3 of 21 (8354 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 19, 2004
Posts: 919

Re: [Tyrande] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wish you well in H-town, but I just had to make this comment. I spent the 1968-69 school year on Oahu, but I did not do any climbing.

I did spend the first 2 1/2 months getting high, however.

Some things to do while you are there that are not drug related (if some of them still exist)...

Eat at McCully Chop Suey on McCully St. near the Ala Wai Canal bridge. My favorite Chinese restaurant in the world.

Eat a Zippy's drop donut.

Watch sunsets from the top of a condominium while drinking Primo Real Hawaiian Beer.

Ride the mud slides at Jackass Ginger.

Jump off the cliff into Kapena Pond, just off the Pali on the way out of town.

Eat an ice cream cone from the front counter of Al 'n Dales in the International Market Place. I scooped a bunch of them while I was there.

Surf Irma's if the right swell comes in, and definitely Ala Moana. Forget the North Shore this time of year.

Sigh!!!!!!!!


Tyrande


Jun 6, 2010, 2:15 PM
Post #4 of 21 (8338 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 3, 2009
Posts: 4

Re: [PosiDave] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks! I appreciate it.
I brought the bare minimum with me (shoes, chalk, harness) in hopes that someone would be kind and let me use their draws and rope. I've got a car and I would totally be willing to give rides and get some good pics (if there's a third person coming). It's the least I can do.

I'll be wanting to climb in about 2 weeks or so, and I'll be here til August 19th.


PosiDave


Jun 6, 2010, 3:03 PM
Post #5 of 21 (8330 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 23

Re: [Tyrande] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Noone I know has their sport gear anymore. It was stolen from their car i guess a month or so ago.

I would head up to Waimea and boulder there. some pretty fun stuff. There is also a gym in Honolulu try there I ehard it just opened. Ill post the info when I get it from my friend.


mheyman


Jun 7, 2010, 9:49 PM
Post #6 of 21 (8305 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 25, 2002
Posts: 607

Re: [PosiDave] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is all you need:

http://rockclimbinghawaii.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

(at least it worked for me and i was just visiting for a week)


Tyrande


Jun 13, 2010, 2:06 PM
Post #7 of 21 (8249 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 3, 2009
Posts: 4

Re: [oldsalt] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I haven't seen the Chop Suey place but I'll keep my eye out for it; and it looks like Al 'n Dale's is gone... But I've gotten some good surf (finally!)
I hope to get climbing in the next week. Can't wait!


Tyrande


Jun 13, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #8 of 21 (8247 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 3, 2009
Posts: 4

Re: [PosiDave] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

PosiDave wrote:
Noone I know has their sport gear anymore. It was stolen from their car i guess a month or so ago.

I would head up to Waimea and boulder there. some pretty fun stuff. There is also a gym in Honolulu try there I ehard it just opened. Ill post the info when I get it from my friend.

You talking about Volcanic Rock? I was eyeing it; they got some new walls that look fun. Apparently it's the only climbing gym on the island.


eastvillage


Jun 13, 2010, 3:09 PM
Post #9 of 21 (8234 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 14, 2004
Posts: 262

Re: [Tyrande] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Pacific Ocean.
Get wet and do any and all things that Ohau offers in the water.
Pacific Ocean.
Pacific Ocean.


sungam


Jun 14, 2010, 5:54 AM
Post #10 of 21 (8215 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26585

Re: [Tyrande] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where's USnavy?


USnavy


Jun 21, 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #11 of 21 (8173 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2660

Re: [sungam] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Where's USnavy?
Climbing El Cap! No Internet up there!

Anyway, to the OP, I can show you around if you would like. I am free 4x a week to climb. PM me your number and we can figure something out.


sungam


Jun 21, 2010, 9:03 AM
Post #12 of 21 (8154 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26585

Re: [USnavy] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
Where's USnavy?
Climbing El Cap!
Fukken Eh! I forgot about that!
*checks the TR forum*


USnavy


Jun 21, 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #13 of 21 (8134 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2660

Re: [sungam] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
Where's USnavy?
Climbing El Cap!
Fukken Eh! I forgot about that!
*checks the TR forum*
Still working on it, too many pics to sort through. I am on the El Cap report through!


sungam


Jun 24, 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #14 of 21 (8091 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26585

Re: [USnavy] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
Where's USnavy?
Climbing El Cap!
Fukken Eh! I forgot about that!
*checks the TR forum*
Still working on it, too many pics to sort through. I am on the El Cap report through!
Link please. Cool


USnavy


Jun 24, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #15 of 21 (8076 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2660

Re: [sungam] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
Where's USnavy?
Climbing El Cap!
Fukken Eh! I forgot about that!
*checks the TR forum*
Still working on it, too many pics to sort through. I am on the El Cap report through!
Link please. Cool

http://www.elcapreport.com/...t/elcap-report-61210

I am the guy in the green windbreaker and yellow rope rappin' off the Texas Flake in the 45 MPH winds. The winds up there can become hostile quick! Crazy

http://www.elcapreport.com/...t/elcap-report-61110

My partner is in the black coat and pants with the tan haul bag and chick in the red climbing below. I dident make it in that pic. :(


(This post was edited by USnavy on Jun 24, 2010, 9:26 PM)


sungam


Jun 25, 2010, 3:38 AM
Post #16 of 21 (8052 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26585

Re: [USnavy] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nice one. Did you send?


USnavy


Jun 25, 2010, 4:27 AM
Post #17 of 21 (8049 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2660

Re: [sungam] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Nice one. Did you send?
Sure did, and we did it in three days vise the standard five Super Topo recommends. I was a bit discouraged though when I heard it had a 75% failure rate for first term wall climbers and when the first 5.9 pitch I climbed on the line felt like 5.10d. But we made it. Smile The aid was fun. The Changing Corners pitch was thinner then expected mainly only offering placements for RP's. But I don't know what I was expecting, after all it was rated 5.14a/b :P. I don't see how anyone could free climb that pitch, it was ridiculously thin. The worst pitch was the Glowering Spot. It was only rated 5.12d / C1 but it was more like solid C2. The placements were thin as balls and they were all flaring. Add to the fact that there is a huge ledge below you so if you zipper down, your going to fall straight on the ledge. I couldn't imagine how sketchy that pitch would have been without offset nuts. Your turn, get up there and send!


(This post was edited by USnavy on Jun 25, 2010, 4:29 AM)


sungam


Jun 27, 2010, 1:34 PM
Post #18 of 21 (8003 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26585

Re: [USnavy] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
Nice one. Did you send?
Sure did, and we did it in three days vise the standard five Super Topo recommends. I was a bit discouraged though when I heard it had a 75% failure rate for first term wall climbers and when the first 5.9 pitch I climbed on the line felt like 5.10d. But we made it. Smile The aid was fun. The Changing Corners pitch was thinner then expected mainly only offering placements for RP's. But I don't know what I was expecting, after all it was rated 5.14a/b :P. I don't see how anyone could free climb that pitch, it was ridiculously thin. The worst pitch was the Glowering Spot. It was only rated 5.12d / C1 but it was more like solid C2. The placements were thin as balls and they were all flaring. Add to the fact that there is a huge ledge below you so if you zipper down, your going to fall straight on the ledge. I couldn't imagine how sketchy that pitch would have been without offset nuts. Your turn, get up there and send!
I have my eye on a wall, unfortunately none of my friends are keen. In reality, I'm not actually sure how keen I am.
The nose looks sick though! Glad to hear you topped out.


USnavy


Jun 29, 2010, 9:57 PM
Post #19 of 21 (7975 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2660

Re: [sungam] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
Nice one. Did you send?
Sure did, and we did it in three days vise the standard five Super Topo recommends. I was a bit discouraged though when I heard it had a 75% failure rate for first term wall climbers and when the first 5.9 pitch I climbed on the line felt like 5.10d. But we made it. Smile The aid was fun. The Changing Corners pitch was thinner then expected mainly only offering placements for RP's. But I don't know what I was expecting, after all it was rated 5.14a/b :P. I don't see how anyone could free climb that pitch, it was ridiculously thin. The worst pitch was the Glowering Spot. It was only rated 5.12d / C1 but it was more like solid C2. The placements were thin as balls and they were all flaring. Add to the fact that there is a huge ledge below you so if you zipper down, your going to fall straight on the ledge. I couldn't imagine how sketchy that pitch would have been without offset nuts. Your turn, get up there and send!
I have my eye on a wall, unfortunately none of my friends are keen. In reality, I'm not actually sure how keen I am.
The nose looks sick though! Glad to hear you topped out.
What line?


sungam


Jul 1, 2010, 7:42 AM
Post #20 of 21 (7926 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26585

Re: [USnavy] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
USnavy wrote:
sungam wrote:
Nice one. Did you send?
Sure did, and we did it in three days vise the standard five Super Topo recommends. I was a bit discouraged though when I heard it had a 75% failure rate for first term wall climbers and when the first 5.9 pitch I climbed on the line felt like 5.10d. But we made it. Smile The aid was fun. The Changing Corners pitch was thinner then expected mainly only offering placements for RP's. But I don't know what I was expecting, after all it was rated 5.14a/b :P. I don't see how anyone could free climb that pitch, it was ridiculously thin. The worst pitch was the Glowering Spot. It was only rated 5.12d / C1 but it was more like solid C2. The placements were thin as balls and they were all flaring. Add to the fact that there is a huge ledge below you so if you zipper down, your going to fall straight on the ledge. I couldn't imagine how sketchy that pitch would have been without offset nuts. Your turn, get up there and send!
I have my eye on a wall, unfortunately none of my friends are keen. In reality, I'm not actually sure how keen I am.
The nose looks sick though! Glad to hear you topped out.
What line?
You wouldn't know it, it's back country scottish choss.


CSC0321


Jul 2, 2010, 1:41 PM
Post #21 of 21 (7889 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 16, 2008
Posts: 64

Re: [Tyrande] In Honolulu for 2.5 months [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eat at coco's curry. Get the chicken cutlet with cheese and enjoy the blissful ride to heaven.


Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook