Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Resling yourself?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

 


desertwanderer81


Jun 2, 2010, 4:34 PM
Post #1 of 10 (4052 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 5, 2007
Posts: 2272

Resling yourself?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, is there any way to re-sling cams yourself SAFELY?

I highly doubt it, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with this. More than likely I'll just end up ponying up the bucks and sending them in, heh.


edge


Jun 2, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4036 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [desertwanderer81] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Hey, is there any way to re-sling cams yourself SAFELY?

I highly doubt it, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with this. More than likely I'll just end up ponying up the bucks and sending them in, heh.

Maybe get some supertape and tie it with a double fishermans, or if you're feeling saucy, you can use a water knot with adequate tails? It has worked for me for some 30+ years.


desertwanderer81


Jun 2, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4036 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 5, 2007
Posts: 2272

Re: [desertwanderer81] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh, and where would you suggest I get a large number of diverse cams re-slung. I was looking at Yates, but they seem to not want to re-sling cams that are over 10 years old....


edge


Jun 2, 2010, 4:46 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4032 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [desertwanderer81] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Oh, and where would you suggest I get a large number of diverse cams re-slung. I was looking at Yates, but they seem to not want to re-sling cams that are over 10 years old....

If you insist on sewn slings, maybe call Ragged Mountain Equipment in North, Conway, NH. I think they do it.

But seriously, tie your own.


desertwanderer81


Jun 2, 2010, 4:49 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4024 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 5, 2007
Posts: 2272

Re: [edge] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
Hey, is there any way to re-sling cams yourself SAFELY?

I highly doubt it, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with this. More than likely I'll just end up ponying up the bucks and sending them in, heh.

Maybe get some supertape and tie it with a double fishermans, or if you're feeling saucy, you can use a water knot with adequate tails? It has worked for me for some 30+ years.

Yeah, I had done this with my first set of cams which I had gotten second hand from a friend but since then I've picked up a full set of BD's and I don't want to mess around with the bulky water knot anymore. It's not horrible by any means, just slightly annoying.

Meh, $5 a cam isn't too terrible.


rock_fencer


Jun 2, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Posts: 752

Re: [desertwanderer81] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

check out Mtn Tools...They resling tri-cams as well.

Havent had a chance to use them yet though.

T


hyhuu


Jun 3, 2010, 4:20 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3883 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 25, 2001
Posts: 492

Re: [desertwanderer81] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Oh, and where would you suggest I get a large number of diverse cams re-slung. I was looking at Yates, but they seem to not want to re-sling cams that are over 10 years old....

I was also wondering why that is? To sell more cams? For most climbers, that hardware should be good for the lifetime.


bill413


Jun 3, 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [rock_fencer] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had my gear reslung by Mountain Tools. I'm happy with their work & turn-around time.


rangerrob


Jun 3, 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 7, 2003
Posts: 641

Re: [bill413] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When I read the topic of this thread I thought we were discussing how to wrestle with yourself.

resling could be pronounced "wrestling"


donald949


Jun 4, 2010, 4:17 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3656 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2007
Posts: 11403

Re: [desertwanderer81] Resling yourself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Oh, and where would you suggest I get a large number of diverse cams re-slung. I was looking at Yates, but they seem to not want to re-sling cams that are over 10 years old....

I thought Fish does this. I think they are in Vegas.

Also, my fisrt TCU's didn't come with slings, we tied them ourselves. Arrrrg.
;D


Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook