RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Gmburns2000

Jul 9, 2009, 4:31 PM
Post #1 of 14 (10248 views)
Shortcut

A different kind of Comp writeup
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Judging comps

Just a bit of a different perspective on competitions. Not so much results oriented as it is the view from a "spectator."

bill413

Jul 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #2 of 14 (10210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] A different kind of Comp writeup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Judging comps

Just a bit of a different perspective on competitions. Not so much results oriented as it is the view from a "spectator."

Nice writeup. Thanks. And I agree it's rewarding. Smile

Gmburns2000

Jul 10, 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #3 of 14 (10206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] A different kind of Comp writeup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Judging comps

Nice writeup. Thanks. And I agree it's rewarding. Smile

Thanks. I actually didn't think this would be that interesting when I submitted it. But I've heard from a couple of folks that it works.

Yeah, I try to get folks involved. Most say, "what? judge a comp? boor-rinnng," but they all come around once they do it for the first time. Some prefer belaying to judging, but they all enjoy the volunteering nevertheless.

Carnage

Jul 10, 2009, 8:38 PM
Post #4 of 14 (10181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good post, worth reading. i had no idea such effort was needed in judging the higher up comps

Gmburns2000

Jul 10, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #5 of 14 (10174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] A different kind of Comp writeup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
good post, worth reading. i had no idea such effort was needed in judging the higher up comps

Thanks. Yeah, it isn't much. I mean, you've got to show that you can get the calls right, but it's pretty easy. And if it's done right then there are plenty of backups to help you so you're not isolated.

shockabuku

Aug 21, 2009, 6:01 PM
Post #6 of 14 (9806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where are you moving to?

Gmburns2000

Aug 21, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #7 of 14 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] A different kind of Comp writeup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Where are you moving to?

Chile; Probably Santiago for a few months and then maybe Puerto Varas in the south after that, but those plans aren't set in stone.

shockabuku

Aug 21, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #8 of 14 (9775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have fun.

Gmburns2000

Aug 21, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #9 of 14 (9773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] A different kind of Comp writeup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Planning on it. Cool

technogeekery

May 19, 2010, 8:45 AM
Post #10 of 14 (9038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice write-up Smile

JasonsDrivingForce

Jun 8, 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #11 of 14 (8807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Judging comps

Your article is terrific and I thank you for your service to the sport. I have wanted to volunteer to judge but my son competes in the competitions so I really don’t want to miss him climbing. Because of people like you I don’t have to miss an opportunity to see him climb.

My son is competing in his first divisional competition this weekend. Since he is only 6 he doesn’t have much of a chance at moving on after the first round. However, he is so young that he doesn’t really understand the competitive aspect of it yet which is a good thing.

I agree that climbing is totally different than all major sports. It is the only sport I know of where it is perfectly acceptable to cheer for your direct competition. I mean what would the other parents do if your son started cheering for the team they were playing against in a baseball or football game?

There definitely are some coaches that try to bend or exploit the rules but for the most part everyone is there to just do their best. If their best happens to be good enough on that particular day then they move on. If not then you will still see those kids the next day at the gym climbing just as hard as they ever have.

The competitions are definitely trying on the nerves though. How many other sports are all or nothing like on-sight sport climbing is? It would be like if football was based solely on how many long field goals you could kick in succession with no breaks and no one else to depend on.

Gmburns2000

Jun 8, 2010, 6:50 PM
Post #12 of 14 (8785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] A different kind of Comp writeup [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Judging comps

Your article is terrific and I thank you for your service to the sport. I have wanted to volunteer to judge but my son competes in the competitions so I really don’t want to miss him climbing. Because of people like you I don’t have to miss an opportunity to see him climb.

My son is competing in his first divisional competition this weekend. Since he is only 6 he doesn’t have much of a chance at moving on after the first round. However, he is so young that he doesn’t really understand the competitive aspect of it yet which is a good thing.

I agree that climbing is totally different than all major sports. It is the only sport I know of where it is perfectly acceptable to cheer for your direct competition. I mean what would the other parents do if your son started cheering for the team they were playing against in a baseball or football game?

There definitely are some coaches that try to bend or exploit the rules but for the most part everyone is there to just do their best. If their best happens to be good enough on that particular day then they move on. If not then you will still see those kids the next day at the gym climbing just as hard as they ever have.

The competitions are definitely trying on the nerves though. How many other sports are all or nothing like on-sight sport climbing is? It would be like if football was based solely on how many long field goals you could kick in succession with no breaks and no one else to depend on.

thanks for the kind words. a couple of thoughts:

- first, it's great that your kid is learning to "play" at the comps so early. that will make him a much better winner and loser later on when he gets older.

- you're right, climbing comps really bring out the best in the kids, I think. They really do root for each other, even if that kid could cost them a spot in the next round. I find that when kids are competitive and get angry with the results, they are much more likely to be angry with themselves and still give credit where credit is due than they are to be jealous. I've seen a couple of exceptions, but mostly, the comps somehow breed good sporting behavior.

- The VAST majority of judges and belayors at the comps I do have kids who are competing. I am a rarity. So how do the parents judge and see their kids climb at the same time? They work things out with the lead judge ahead of time. They accept their position as a judge on a route, then they are replaced for maybe 25 minutes (long enough for their kid to go through all three climbs) and then come back into the rotation. If you work things out with the lead judge, they should be able to get you to see your son climb and give you a chance to volunteer at the same time (whether it be judging, running, or belaying). Rotating parents in and out of volunteer positions so that they can both volunteer and watch their kids climb is the norm at the comps I've worked at.

- tough on the nerves but man, just think about the lessons learned eh?

Gmburns2000

Jun 8, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #13 of 14 (8784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah, PS - good luck to your kid.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jun 8, 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #14 of 14 (8754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
oh yeah, PS - good luck to your kid.

Thanks, I just hope he is proud of how he climbs.

Because of your article I will definitely volunteer next time even if my son is competing. I am sure they accomodate me watching him climb for a few minutes.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook