RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

rockrat_co

Jun 10, 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1380 views)
Shortcut

Looking for Instructor in Washington or Alaska
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey There,

I've been rock climbing for about nine years now and am wanting to begin to learn mountaineering in glacier terrain, steep snow climbing, etc. to begin the haul towards Alpine guide certification. I'm seeking an experienced mountaineer who would be willing to teach me the ropes, so to speak. I do have a very solid rock climbing background, am WEMT certified, and have a descent understanding of technical systems and navigation. I would be willing to work something out to compensate for your time/food/travel. Please drop me a line if you are interested. AMGA certified a plus.

Thank You!

Ryan

summerprophet

Jun 13, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockrat_co] Looking for Instructor in Washington or Alaska [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Washington to Alaska covers a pretty big area.

If Central Washington works for you, drop me a line.

Non-AMGA, but equivalent.

Justin

ADT

Jun 13, 2010, 5:48 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Looking for Instructor in Washington or Alaska [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
Washington to Alaska covers a pretty big area.

If Central Washington works for you, drop me a line.

Non-AMGA, but equivalent.

Justin

What exactly is the equivalent?

For the original poster, I suggest you go with one of the many legitimate AMGA guide services here in WA. Contact one of the following...

North Cascades mountain Guides
American Alpine Institute
Northwest Mountain School

There are a bunch more that you can find with a little bit of research.

With AMGA certified instructors you know that you are going to get a qualified instructor.

acorneau

Jun 14, 2010, 6:41 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ADT] Looking for Instructor in Washington or Alaska [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ADT wrote:
What exactly is the equivalent?

IFMGA
UIAGM
IVBV
ACGM

etc...

ADT

Jun 14, 2010, 8:22 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Looking for Instructor in Washington or Alaska [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea I know what they are. I am more worried about what his idea of equivalent is. Since there are no certs listed on his website I kind of want to call bullshit on his claiming equivalent.

summerprophet

Jun 14, 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ADT] Looking for Instructor in Washington or Alaska [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Equivalency is exceeding the standards set for ACMG ROCK guides. For a Rock Instructor this includes leading a client competently on 10a rock, with full knowledge of first aid, weather patterns, descent information, and to a minor extent, local knowledge of history, flora and fauna of the area.

(ACMG standards as I went through guides training in Canada).

As far as competency and standards, I have been climbing since 1992, guiding since 1998, and have a College Degee in Adventure Tourism, specializing in Mountain Guiding.

I interned with Canada West Mountain School instructing Rockclimbing and Self Rescue for Rockclimbers, and acting as Assistant instructor for their Alpine Classes.

I have been trained side by side with ACMG guides, and regularly climb with ACMG, AMGA and old BMC guides.

I have been up 10 Yosemite walls, have first ascents up to 11d, written a guidebook, summited big mountains from Canada to Peru, and pride myself in my ability to instruct moutain skills.

In addition, I actively involve myself in Mountain Rescue, both instructing and volenteering.

While I meet all the requirements to pursue AMGA Certifications (for Rock and alpine,... I can almost guarantee I can out-ski you, but don't have a mastery of instructing winter skills), the costs and time commitments exceed any reasonable amount that I care to commit.

Honestly, the days of guiding and making 20k a year are long behind me, and guiding now is purely a sideline to suppliment my income since the economy turned.

Enough of me tooting my own horn, and I apologize for deviating this from the OP's question, but ADT was coming awfully close to bashing me personally.

As this is an internet forum, I am somewhat certain that some anonymous naysayer will attempt to discredit all this, but my client comments speak for themselves.

RMC

Jun 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Looking for Instructor in Washington or Alaska [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good for you bro- nice reply. Dont feed the drama queens or make comments to folk who love to one up everyone else.

Just share the beta and help the other guy-

tommahrow

Jun 16, 2010, 5:04 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funny how people want help with having to pay for training,but will bash people who offer out of kindness!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$35.96 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$3.56 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook