Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

splashclimber

Jun 11, 2010, 3:31 PM
Post #1 of 39 (10927 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is the "Super Munter"? This is referred to in Climbing Magazine Tech Tip http://www.climbing.com/print/techtips/tech_tips_trad_-_munter_magic/

The article refers to the "Super Munter sidebar" which does not exist. Anybody have link or information about this "Super Munter"? Article quote: Twisting: You can prevent — or at least reduce — the kinks produced by a Munter by braking as per above, or by using a Super Munter (see “Super Munter to the Rescue” sidebar).

dolphja

Jun 11, 2010, 3:37 PM
Post #2 of 39 (10914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [splashclimber] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

splashclimber wrote:
What is the "Super Munter"? This is referred to in Climbing Magazine Tech Tip http://www.climbing.com/...trad_-_munter_magic/

The article refers to the "Super Munter sidebar" which does not exist. Anybody have link or information about this "Super Munter"? Article quote: Twisting: You can prevent — or at least reduce — the kinks produced by a Munter by braking as per above, or by using a Super Munter (see “Super Munter to the Rescue” sidebar).

clickyCool
& the double munter aka super munter http://www.potomacmountainclub.org/...d=269&Itemid=107

tada Pirate

(This post was edited by dolphja on Jun 11, 2010, 3:51 PM)

patmay81

Jun 11, 2010, 3:47 PM
Post #3 of 39 (10893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [splashclimber] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/...dfs/ImprovBrakes.pdf
could b e talking about this?

majid_sabet

Jun 11, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #4 of 39 (10884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Drop test has proven that munter knot is not the best option while belay second from top. Its not a bad knot for emergency rap or belay TR if you got nothing else but overall, munter does damages rope faster than any belay device.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jun 11, 2010, 3:53 PM)

dbogardus

Jun 11, 2010, 4:14 PM
Post #5 of 39 (10864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What were the results of those tests?

Was it a failure of the hitch or the twisting of the rope during use which gave the bad results?

dolphja

Jun 11, 2010, 5:07 PM
Post #6 of 39 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rope on rope friction

dbogardus

Jun 11, 2010, 5:14 PM
Post #7 of 39 (10820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dolphja] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

which resulted in what? sheath tearing?

hafilax

Jun 11, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #8 of 39 (10785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dolphja] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
splashclimber wrote:
What is the "Super Munter"? This is referred to in Climbing Magazine Tech Tip http://www.climbing.com/...trad_-_munter_magic/

clickyCool
& the double munter aka super munter http://www.potomacmountainclub.org/...d=269&Itemid=107

tada Pirate
I was taught that by the nickname of the Munster.

steady_climbing

Jun 11, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #9 of 39 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Munter is the proverbial "shit". Learn it, live it, love it!

psprings

Jun 11, 2010, 7:03 PM
Post #10 of 39 (10747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Drop test has proven that munter knot is not the best option while belay second from top. Its not a bad knot for emergency rap or belay TR if you got nothing else but overall, munter does damages rope faster than any belay device.

Munters have more stopping power than any non-autolocking belay device... 2.5Kns of force. That's a lot.

The sheath of your rope may get fuzzy, after a long time, but no, you don't have to worry about it "damaging" your rope. It's a great knot and works great for belaying from above. :D

roy_hinkley_jr

Jun 11, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #11 of 39 (10728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psprings] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

psprings wrote:
Munters have more stopping power than any non-autolocking belay device... 2.5Kns of force. That's a lot.

The sheath of your rope may get fuzzy, after a long time, but no, you don't have to worry about it "damaging" your rope. It's a great knot and works great for belaying from above. :D

Depends on the orientation but basically correct for a Munter attached to an anchor higher than the belayer.

Falling wears out ropes more, so don't.

patmay81

Jun 11, 2010, 7:37 PM
Post #12 of 39 (10723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
psprings wrote:

Depends on the orientation but basically correct for a Munter attached to an anchor higher than the belayer.

Falling wears out ropes more, so don't.
yeah, i have no issue with rapping or belaying with a munter. but given the choice between a munter and any slot device, the munter loses every time.

splashclimber

Jun 11, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #13 of 39 (10673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After looking at the helpful links, I see that the Super Munter has many names, but the name Monster Munter seems to be more common?

I found this link on youtube -- long, (to just see the knot skip to 5 minutes in or so to see the tying of the actual knot. ) But great discussion on its use.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ulTTrhfCvs

majid_sabet

Jun 11, 2010, 9:37 PM
Post #14 of 39 (10661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psprings] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

psprings wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

are making this up or is it based on some serious fact ? I mean, I got set of documentary drop test films that shows how a 100kg falling object zips out of belayers hand on FF2 with munter

hafilax

Jun 11, 2010, 9:45 PM
Post #15 of 39 (10654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
psprings wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

are making this up or is it based on some serious fact ? I mean, I got set of documentary drop test films that shows how a 100kg falling object zips out of belayers hand on FF2 with munter
FF2=belaying from below

Belaying from above means bringing up a second.

majid_sabet

Jun 11, 2010, 9:49 PM
Post #16 of 39 (10650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dbogardus wrote:

Was it a failure of the hitch or the twisting of the rope during use which gave the bad results?

the problem with munter hitch is the way this knot generates friction by using multiple loops around a biner.

diameter of the rope, biner diameter, climber's gripping power etc are contributors on how this knot does its job. most climber forget that upper TR biner reduces friction by about 40%+ therefore, only 1/2 of the forces are transferred to munter at belay. once you reverse the situation and perform belay from above, there are no extra biner to reduce friction and the gripping power of most climbers is not strong enough to stop a big load. again, we are taking full vertical situation where you have no rope drag or other means of adding friction.

one way to test munter is to take a large size pulley for TR instead of using top biner then ask the leader to take a fall and see how munter manages the belay

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jun 11, 2010, 9:51 PM)

socalclimber

Jun 11, 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #17 of 39 (10638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
dbogardus wrote:

the problem with munter hitch is the way this knot generates friction by using multiple loops around a biner.

diameter of the rope, biner diameter, climber's gripping power etc are contributors on how this knot does its job. most climber forget that upper TR biner reduces friction by about 40%+ therefore, only 1/2 of the forces are transferred to munter at belay. once you reverse the situation and perform belay from above, there are no extra biner to reduce friction and the gripping power of most climbers is not strong enough to stop a big load. again, we are taking full vertical situation where you have no rope drag or other means of adding friction.

one way to test munter is to take a large size pulley for TR instead of using top biner then ask the leader to take a fall and see how munter manages the belay

With all due respect, how are you going to generate a FF2 fall belaying a second? I guess if you (the belayer) isn't paying attention and there is a ton of slack in the system and they fall you could generate some pretty hi FF.

While I appreciate the test results, I just don't see any issue with using a munter to belay a second with.

roy_hinkley_jr

Jun 11, 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #18 of 39 (10618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
I just don't see any issue with using a munter to belay a second with.

More to the point, it's better than ANY slotted belay device for belaying a second off the anchor. No issues with lowering if they're hanging in space. No twisting of the rope if used properly. Plenty of holding power.

socalclimber

Jun 11, 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #19 of 39 (10612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
socalclimber wrote:
I just don't see any issue with using a munter to belay a second with.

More to the point, it's better than ANY slotted belay device for belaying a second off the anchor. No issues with lowering if they're hanging in space. No twisting of the rope if used properly. Plenty of holding power.

That's my thinking.

hafilax

Jun 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #20 of 39 (10601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IME, fanboys of the Munter are either old or European.

socalclimber

Jun 11, 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #21 of 39 (10593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:

Well, I look at it this way, I'm not euro, but I am old. Either way, I'm old enough and experienced enough to have a wide variety of tricks in my magic bag to get me out of trouble when I need them.

If that's a flaw, then I'm as flawed as they come.

redlude97

Jun 12, 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #22 of 39 (10570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Well, I look at it this way, I'm not euro, but I am old. Either way, I'm old enough and experienced enough to have a wide variety of tricks in my magic bag to get me out of trouble when I need them.

There is a big difference between advocating everyone to learn how to use a munter which i don't think anyone is arguing is a bad practice, and using one on a regularly basis.

socalclimber

Jun 12, 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #23 of 39 (10568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Climbing Magazine Munter Magic - Super Munter is?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would absolutely agree with that.

BTW, I never advocated using one on a regular basis.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Jun 12, 2010, 12:14 AM)

dolphja

Jun 12, 2010, 12:30 AM
Post #24 of 39 (10548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
hafilax wrote:

i agree completely. cause if you drop your belay device... ya better know how to do the munter hitch

redlude97

Jun 12, 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #25 of 39 (10544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
I would absolutely agree with that.

BTW, I never advocated using one on a regular basis.
well I think when hafilax made his statement, he was referring to those that did use it on a regular basis, hence the fanboy remark.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook