Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Mississippi Palisades
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

teleguitar4

Jun 14, 2010, 6:41 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Mississippi Palisades  (North_America: United_States: Illinois: North_West: Mississippi_Palisades)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking to get out this weekend and thought I would check out mississippi palisades. I am coming from Chicago, is it worth the drive? I am looking to try somewhere new since i have been heading to DL mostly.

Are there more routes then what is posted on here? Is it still a climber friendly park? I see the notice about the mud wall being closed, is anything else closed that I should know about?

teleguitar4

Jun 14, 2010, 7:32 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teleguitar4] Mississippi Palisades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone know about this area out there?

mckbill

Jun 14, 2010, 7:59 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's several climbing areas. I've been to the Sentinel area where there is a concentration of moderate to difficult routes for top roping. There are many natural anchors; however, some routes have bolted anchors.

At Sentinel you can lead the 5.4 east face of the spire and then setup top rope for a nice climb on the north side. The top of the spire is a nice place to hang out. If you into rappelling you can do a single line rap off the west side (aprox 130 feet down and about 10 feet overhanging).

Wishing you a good visit to MP.

--edit to answer your questions--

In reply to:
I am looking to get out this weekend and thought I would check out mississippi palisades. I am coming from Chicago, is it worth the drive? I am looking to try somewhere new since i have been heading to DL mostly.

Yes, worth the drive. Folks from the Chicago Mountaineering Club make this one of their first outtings (first weekend of May for I don't know how many years). So, yes, the CMC folk think it's worth the drive.

In reply to:
Are there more routes then what is posted on here? Is it still a climber friendly park? I see the notice about the mud wall being closed, is anything else closed that I should know about?

Not sure how well the routes are represented on RC.com.

Yes, the park is climber friendly, but do ask locals about permanent and temporary closures. For instance, the chimney on the south face of Sentinel is permanently closed.

--end edit--

(This post was edited by mckbill on Jun 15, 2010, 8:00 AM)

teleguitar4

Jun 15, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mckbill] Mississippi Palisades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent, thanks! I looked to buy the guidebook online but they seem out of stock. Guess I will have to print out some route descriptions or just eye up the routes.

russ815

Jun 22, 2011, 7:02 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went out there to check it out about a week ago. Definitely not worth driving from Chicago! Might as well go to Devil's Lake. Sketchy holds easily break off, poor pro placement (limestone). Good anchors for toprope though. Plenty of trees and bolts at the top. It is somewhat a climber friendly park. Not to popular though. Just climb safe and I recommend a helmet for your belay buddy!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook