Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Summer climbing in RRG
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

loginatnine

Jun 15, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1213 views)
Shortcut

Summer climbing in RRG  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone!
Three of us from up north in Quebec are planning to go to RRG in August. Now, I've read in many places that, at that time of the year, the weather is unbearable and that the bugs are really annoying. I'd like to get a general opinion on that... Also, I've been to Tonsai in Thailand and it can get very hot over there. Is it comparable? Anyone went to both places?

What kind of bugs are everyone talking about?

Finally, are there any multipitch routes in RRG?

Thanks!

MS1

Jun 16, 2010, 5:26 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [loginatnine] Summer climbing in RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

loginatnine wrote:
Hey everyone!
Three of us from up north in Quebec are planning to go to RRG in August. Now, I've read in many places that, at that time of the year, the weather is unbearable and that the bugs are really annoying. I'd like to get a general opinion on that... Also, I've been to Tonsai in Thailand and it can get very hot over there. Is it comparable? Anyone went to both places?

What kind of bugs are everyone talking about?

Finally, are there any multipitch routes in RRG?

Thanks!

August can be nice or it can be super hot; it's kind of the luck of the draw, weather-wise. A bad day will be in the 90s and really, really humid. Luckily some crags are close enough to the road that you can get up early, climb until it gets hot, get lunch and have a siesta, and then climb again after it starts to cool off.

I never noticed it as particularly buggy. There are bugs (it is summer in the south) but nothing crazy. If it bothers you get some deet and use it. For me, the amount of poison ivy and snakes is far more problemmatic, but neither is a dealbreaker.

If you can wait until September (or better yet October), conditions will be much better. But to me it would still be worth it to take a summer trip.

As to multipitch: There are a handful of two and three pith routes. Some are pretty classic, but mostly you'll be doing single pitches.

Check out http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuide/ for a lot more information.

loginatnine

Jun 16, 2010, 8:32 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Summer climbing in RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your reply!

August is the only time we have unfortunately. We'll be staying ~3 weeks though, so we'll have a couple of nice climbing days :)

Would you care to elaborate a bit more on the snakes? Dangerous ones? Do they hide in the climbing pocket holds?

Thanks again!

MS1

Jun 16, 2010, 9:20 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

loginatnine wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

August is the only time we have unfortunately. We'll be staying ~3 weeks though, so we'll have a couple of nice climbing days :)

Would you care to elaborate a bit more on the snakes? Dangerous ones? Do they hide in the climbing pocket holds?

Thanks again!

The snakes to watch out for are copperheads. They tend to nest at the base of cliffs and often sun themselves on the hot rocks. They are generally pretty mellow, but will strike if you bother them, so accidentally stepping on one is to be avoided if possible. They do not always inject venom when striking (sometimes it is just a "leave me alone" bite), but their venom is serious so watch out.

I haven't seen them in pockets, but they will definitely hang out on ledges or in cracks. If you don't look before you go for a hand jam, you could end up having a nasty encounter (almost happened to me once).

cacalderon

Jun 16, 2010, 6:59 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agree with other posts.

RRG in Aug is hit or miss. Could be nice or could be too hot but with 3 weeks I'm sure you'll get plenty of climbing (same with bugs, hit or miss, get a good repellent and you should be okay).

RRG has many crags, and it is possible to find some crags with shade to avoid the sun. You can get tons of beta at Miguel's Pizzeria where most climbers hang out (also check out redriverclimbing.com)

Not a lot of multipitch, only a few of good quality. What you do get is lots of good quality overhanging sport routes.

I've been to Tonzai and RRG and its actually a good comparison.. both are hot and humid in summer season... but both are also awesome places to climb.

If you can push your trip to Sept it would be better, if you cant, Aug will be fine and you'll have loads of fun.

I'll actually be there in July which could be even hotter Wink

(This post was edited by cacalderon on Jun 16, 2010, 7:03 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook