Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

pacman529

Jun 17, 2010, 4:36 AM
Post #1 of 83 (19267 views)
Shortcut

Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am seriously considering getting myself a pair of Vibram Fivefingers, and one of the things I would like to do with them is rock climb, both indoors and out. anybody have any experience with them very much? I mean, i'm sure they are not going to be as good as a climbing shoe for like REALLY tiny toe chips and the like, but is it possible to comfortably climb in them to a good degree? and i'm talking about more than just bouldering; i prefer climbing routes to bouldering in general.

if you had personal experience with them, could you tell me what model you used?

just about any information concerning rock climbing in vibram fivefingers would be fantastic, like their strengths and weaknesses.

(This post was edited by pacman529 on Jun 18, 2010, 6:33 PM)

jt512

Jun 17, 2010, 5:18 AM
Post #2 of 83 (19254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pacman529] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

pacman529 wrote:
I am seriously considering getting myself a pair of Vibram Fivefingers, and one of the things I would like to do with them is rock climb, both indoors and out. anybody have any experience with them very much? I mean, i'm sure they are not going to be as good as a climbing shoe for like REALLY tiny toe chips and the like, but is it possible to comfortably climb in them to a good degree? and i'm talking about more than just bouldering; i prefer climbing routes to bouldering in general.

if you had personal experience with them, could you tell me what model you used?

just about any information concerning rock climbing in vibram fivefingers would be fantastic, like their strengths and weaknesses.

T-weke

Lazlo

Jun 17, 2010, 5:32 AM
Post #3 of 83 (19243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pacman529 wrote:

They would probably work well for approach and easy slab. I very much doubt that they would work well for any other climbing.

Claypool

Jun 17, 2010, 7:27 AM
Post #4 of 83 (19211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is another thread about these shoes on the first page of this section.

The general consensus is that they are not good climbing shoes.

Edit due to link fail.

(This post was edited by Claypool on Jun 17, 2010, 7:29 AM)

pacman529

Jun 17, 2010, 2:16 PM
Post #5 of 83 (19164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Claypool] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, I understand there is no doubt that rock shoes are millions times better than them for climbing, but is there a possibility that climbing in them occasionally could help strengthen your feet and legs for when you do use regular climbing shoes?

also, has anyone tried the newer KSO treks or Bikilas? they seem to be made with thicker soles which might make them better than other flavors of fingers, even if they still don't touch regular climbing shoes.

(This post was edited by pacman529 on Jun 17, 2010, 2:20 PM)

gmggg

Jun 17, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #6 of 83 (19152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Vibram five fingers are great for climbing!

Climbing out of bed to get a 2 liter of soda and cheetos and watch a baseball game on TV. Climbing into the car to go buy a 50 degree sleeping bag from REI so that your garage can be decorated with the unused gear you collect to pursue your "passions". And lastly, climbing back into bed and under the covers to hide your shame from the world.

kachoong

Jun 17, 2010, 2:34 PM
Post #7 of 83 (19148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only situation where the fivefingers could be of any use for climbing would be DWS... but climbing shoes would still be better even in that situation... the fivefingers would be more comfortable for using over a longer time and for in the water.

gmggg

Jun 17, 2010, 2:36 PM
Post #8 of 83 (19142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
The only situation where the fivefingers could be of any use for climbing would be DWS... but climbing shoes would still be better even in that situation... the fivefingers would be more comfortable for using over a longer time and for in the water.

Or you could get climbing "sandals"

patto

Jun 17, 2010, 2:40 PM
Post #9 of 83 (19143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pacman529 wrote:
ok, I understand there is no doubt that rock shoes are millions times better than them for climbing, but is there a possibility that climbing in them occasionally could help strengthen your feet and legs for when you do use regular climbing shoes?

also, has anyone tried the newer KSO treks or Bikilas? they seem to be made with thicker soles which might make them better than other flavors of fingers, even if they still don't touch regular climbing shoes.

No dude. They are not useful for climbing. Running in them will strengthen your feet and calves. This could no doubt help your climbing.

Have you ever tried climbing barefeet? Its like that. Too much pressure on you big toe joint for anything but large foot holds.

They are excellent at rock scrambling though! Light and allows precision footwork. Great for approach shoes.

kachoong

Jun 17, 2010, 2:45 PM
Post #10 of 83 (19138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Sweet! Or that!

But yeah, climbing shoes were designed for a reason; for climbing in... not sure if there's a reason behind fivefingers but I'm sure it's not to sell to climbers.

acorneau

Jun 17, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #11 of 83 (19084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
[

Those would give you some sweet tan lines. Match them up with your Tevas and you'll have some Art Deco feet!

pacman529

Jun 18, 2010, 4:40 PM
Post #12 of 83 (19016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
They are excellent at rock scrambling though! Light and allows precision footwork. Great for approach shoes.
ok, i know i am going to take some flak for asking this... but what are approach shoes?

jt512

Jun 18, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #13 of 83 (19011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

pacman529 wrote:
patto wrote:
ok, i know i am going to take some flak for asking this... but what are approach shoes?

They're shoes you wear on the hike to the cliff. Not to be confused with deproach shoes, which are the ones you wear on the hike back.

Jay

wmfork

Jun 18, 2010, 5:11 PM
Post #14 of 83 (18993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Have you ever tried climbing barefeet? Its like that. Too much pressure on you big toe joint for anything but large foot holds.
Sounds like they are excellent if you have strong toes. The problems I've had with climbing barefeet are 1) feet do sweat, and it's hard to chalk them up mid-route, 2) some edges feel too sharp to put a lot of weight on. But man I can grab high foot holds that no shoes ever can.

I may just have to try a pair and report back.

pacman529

Jun 18, 2010, 5:12 PM
Post #15 of 83 (18992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
patto wrote:

They're shoes you wear on the hike to the cliff. Not to be confused with deproach shoes, which are the ones you wear on the hike back.

Jay
why would you have separate shoes for going up and coming back? again i apologize for my ignorance; since I started climbing almost a year ago i have mostly only been able to do indoor climbing, and other than rock climbing and sailing, i'm usually not much of an outdoorsy type (although i think that is begining to change at least a little bit)

pat_o_g

Jun 18, 2010, 5:34 PM
Post #16 of 83 (18982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They would be absolutely miserable for real climbing. I have a pair, and they're great if you're into the barefoot running thing, but as an actual climbing shoe, they would suck. Perhaps some scrambling, but they're going to slip if you try to edge or put much lateral pressure on them.

jt512

Jun 18, 2010, 5:37 PM
Post #17 of 83 (18978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

pacman529 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
patto wrote:

Jay
why would you have separate shoes for going up and coming back? again i apologize for my ignorance; since I started climbing almost a year ago i have mostly only been able to do indoor climbing, and other than rock climbing and sailing, i'm usually not much of an outdoorsy type (although i think that is begining to change at least a little bit)

It doesn't matter much if the approach is mostly on level ground, but if it is significantly up- or down-hill, you'll often want different shoes for the approach and the deproach.

Jay

pacman529

Jun 18, 2010, 5:44 PM
Post #18 of 83 (18971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
patto wrote:

Jay

It doesn't matter much if the approach is mostly on level ground, but if it is significantly up- or down-hill, you'll often want different shoes for the approach and the deproach.

Jay

well I assumed as much but why is that?

jt512

Jun 18, 2010, 6:01 PM
Post #19 of 83 (18959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

pacman529 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
patto wrote:

Jay

Jay

Well, fit for one thing. If you're doing a lot of uphill slab on the approach, you can benefit from wearing a tighter shoe, since the climbing is semi-technical. But going downhill, your toes will be crushed into the toe box of the shoe, which is painful, and you can even lose toenails. So, you wear a looser fitting shoe for the downhill.

Jay

kachoong

Jun 18, 2010, 6:17 PM
Post #20 of 83 (18946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
pacman529 wrote:
patto wrote:

Jay

Jay

Well, fit for one thing. If you're doing a lot of uphill slab on the approach, you can benefit from wearing a tighter shoe, since the climbing is semi-technical. But going downhill, your toes will be crushed into the toe box of the shoe, which is painful, and you can even lose toenails. So, you wear a looser fitting shoe for the downhill.

Jay

^^Good advice!

Also, I like to keep my deproach shoes in with my rappelling rope and an extra figure-8 so it's all together for the retreat back to the car.

redlude97

Jun 18, 2010, 6:19 PM
Post #21 of 83 (18943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is your opinion on belay shoes? I prefer a slipper but my partner insists on laceups

jt512

Jun 18, 2010, 6:24 PM
Post #22 of 83 (18940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
What is your opinion on belay shoes? I prefer a slipper but my partner insists on laceups

I just stick with either the approach or the deproach shoes. There's only so many shoes I can carry at once!

Jay

bill413

Jun 18, 2010, 7:02 PM
Post #23 of 83 (18922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another reason for different approach & deproach shoes is when you have very tight climbing shoes. If I'm climbing in my tight ones, my feet are sorer at the end of the day and I need more cushioning during the hike out.

styndall

Jun 18, 2010, 7:51 PM
Post #24 of 83 (18902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

I just stick with either the approach or the deproach shoes. There's only so many shoes I can carry at once!

Jay

I bought a slightly larger-than-average pack so I could keep a pair of plain old proach shoes for when I'm lost and don't know whether I'm coming or going.

It happens a lot Unsure

patto

Jun 18, 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #25 of 83 (18845 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just in case you wanted a serious answer to your question.

pacman529 wrote:
Approach shoes are a fancy name for shoes you wear to and from the cliff. One could argue they are merely a con so 5-10 and other companies can make more money out of climbers. Most shoes work but ones that are grippier may be better than the stilettos you wore the previous night.

pacman529 wrote:
why would you have separate shoes for going up and coming back?
You don't. Jay was being sarcastic and you fell for it.
Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook