Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jnovakov

May 14, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #1 of 27 (16593 views)
Shortcut

Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, just wanted to see if you guys had any tips for staying in shape when you don't have access to a gym or any outdoor climbing for a while... I climb 5.11 level in the gym and really want to keep up my progress and not just suck when I come back to climbing... I go to school in another city with a nice gym and outdoor routes nearby... Now that I'm home for the summer, theres no gyms or anything... I will be doing a few outdoor trips this summer and trying to make it to a few gyms... But nothing close to how often I usually like to climb(3-4 times a week). I have a hang board and have been using it as well as my pull up bar... Is this enough? Or is it just inevitable that I will suck when I go back lol. (in the beginning of september)
Jen

(This post was edited by jnovakov on May 14, 2010, 10:49 PM)

potreroed

May 14, 2010, 8:55 PM
Post #2 of 27 (16581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jnovakov] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do lots and lots of fingertip pull-ups and lock-offs on a door jamb. And ignore all the subsequent comments about how this is worthless!!

TomUK

May 14, 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #3 of 27 (16557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jnovakov] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you do any cardio such as running? Keeps you in a generally good shape which will always help!

jnovakov

May 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #4 of 27 (16549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, I try to go out running 4-5 times a week.

Oh, and I also convinced my dad to build me a campus board in my shed lol... So i suppose that may help as well

(This post was edited by jnovakov on May 14, 2010, 10:58 PM)

gblauer

May 15, 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #5 of 27 (16510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you afford a personal trainer? I took 6 months off of climbing (4 days per week indoors) due to surgery. 4 days after my first surgery I stated with a personal trainer, and then again after the 2nd surgery. The personal trainer really helped build muscles that need building for me. I pretty emerged from my 6 month hiatus at the level where I left off (onsiting gym 10's, some 11's, projecting harder). I like the results so much that I have backed off my gym climbing (too hard on the joints) to a couple of days a week, stayed with the personal trainer and spend the weekend climbing outdoors.

If you can't afford a personal trainer, make up a routine for general strength building, focus on core and don't forget some intense wrist curls.

Good luck!

sungam

May 15, 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #6 of 27 (16460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crossfit + hangboard.

jaablink

May 15, 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #7 of 27 (16452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Order yourself a couple of truck loads of fieldstone and prep materials to build your parents some nice stone walls and mulch bed borders . 6 hours of rock work 4 days a week coupled with biking, swimming, and running should make you mutant strong with leather thick finger pads by the end of summer .

Ease back into the climbing when you come back. It wont take long to get back up to a high level.

wallwombat

May 15, 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #8 of 27 (16444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that with the hangboard and the campus board that your dad is going to build you you should be fine. Especially if you have a few trips planned for the summer break.

Actually, with careful use of the hangboard and some campusing, you will probably be so much stronger that missing your gym sessions wont matter. You'll blow them away when you get back to school.

I wouldn't worry too much.

sungam

May 15, 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #9 of 27 (16409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallwombat] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
Actually, with careful use of the hangboard and some campusing, you will probably be so much stronger that missing your gym sessions wont matter. You'll blow them away when you get back to school.
Except he'll probably have ruined his technique Unsure

jnovakov

May 15, 2010, 3:27 PM
Post #10 of 27 (16399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*** She lol I'm a girl

sungam

May 15, 2010, 4:02 PM
Post #11 of 27 (16386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jnovakov wrote:
*** She lol I'm a girl
Sorry.

She will lose all her technique.

styndall

May 15, 2010, 5:46 PM
Post #12 of 27 (16362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
wallwombat wrote:

Technique doesn't go away like strength does.

sungam

May 15, 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #13 of 27 (16322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
sungam wrote:
wallwombat wrote:

Technique doesn't go away like strength does.
I would say quite the opposite, especially if there is a large gain in strength without technique, er, "usage". (what would the word be there?)

TomUK

May 15, 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #14 of 27 (16314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Strength comes and goes but your knowledge of climbing won't suddenly disappear! I reckon technique stays with you whilst strength can easily deplete

wallwombat

May 16, 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #15 of 27 (16305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jnovakov wrote:
*** She lol I'm a girl

Call me Sherlock Holmes but I thought the fact that the original post was signed "Jen" was a bit of a give away.

TomUK

May 16, 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #16 of 27 (16262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallwombat] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
jnovakov wrote:
*** She lol I'm a girl

Call me Sherlock Holmes but I thought the fact that the original post was signed "Jen" was a bit of a give away.

That was the original poster correcting someone...

sungam

May 16, 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #17 of 27 (16250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TomUK] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TomUK wrote:
Strength comes and goes but your knowledge of climbing won't suddenly disappear! I reckon technique stays with you whilst strength can easily deplete
Maybe it's different for different people, but my technique definitely takes a hit when I take a break from technical climbing. There's nothing sudden about it either, you just slowly forget efficient body position etc.

wallwombat

May 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #18 of 27 (16249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TomUK] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tom, look at the original post. Now look at the last word. It's the word Jen . In this neck of the woods, that word is a girl's name.

It was there when I first posted, which was just before sungam posted, referring to the original poster as 'he'.

That's what I was referring to with my Sherlock comment.

(I can't believe I just replied to that Unimpressed)

TomUK

May 16, 2010, 2:24 PM
Post #19 of 27 (16226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
Tom, look at the original post. Now look at the last word. It's the word Jen . In this neck of the woods, that word is a girl's name.

It was there when I first posted, which was just before sungam posted, referring to the original poster as 'he'.

I'm well aware of that. You just didn't make it very clear - seemed to me that you were correcting the original poster themselves. Oh well; the amount of crap non-climbing chat on these forums is amazing! oops!

Talk about climbing shall we?

Ye i suppose above has a point - it does depend on the person but i've personally found that technique is easily remembered when needed.

wallwombat

May 16, 2010, 2:33 PM
Post #20 of 27 (16216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TomUK wrote:
i've personally found that technique is easily remembered when needed.

I agree. I've had long lay offs due to injury and work and other stuff and I find that it's not technique that I lose, it's strength and flexibility.

jnovakov

May 16, 2010, 3:26 PM
Post #21 of 27 (16196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:

Maybe he misread Jen for Jon lol.

I had to take the same break(4 months) last year when I went back home for summer... When I got back to school my technique was still decent (back to normal within a week or so), I just couldn't hang on to anything... So I agree with everyone who is saying that you don't loose technique as quickly as strength. That being said, I wasn't actually doing any strength training that summer. So I can't really say anything about strength gain without a continuation of climbing deterring technique.

sungam

May 16, 2010, 3:27 PM
Post #22 of 27 (16195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
TomUK wrote:
i've personally found that technique is easily remembered when needed.

I agree. I've had long lay offs due to injury and work and other stuff and I find that it's not technique that I lose, it's strength and flexibility.
Fair enough. I found that after my roadtrip, most of which was spent climbing 5.10 and below, my technique was shocking. I was still quite fit (if a little heavier, damnz you american foodz!) and kinda strong, but I just wouldn't naturally kinda shift into better body positions on steep ground. I would pull too hard.

WordsVerbatim

Jun 22, 2010, 7:44 PM
Post #23 of 27 (15724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jnovakov wrote:
Hey, just wanted to see if you guys had any tips for staying in shape when you don't have access to a gym or any outdoor climbing for a while... I climb 5.11 level in the gym and really want to keep up my progress and not just suck when I come back to climbing... I go to school in another city with a nice gym and outdoor routes nearby... Now that I'm home for the summer, theres no gyms or anything... I will be doing a few outdoor trips this summer and trying to make it to a few gyms... But nothing close to how often I usually like to climb(3-4 times a week). I have a hang board and have been using it as well as my pull up bar... Is this enough? Or is it just inevitable that I will suck when I go back lol. (in the beginning of september)
Jen

Female here, same story basically! I was projecting .11s, went to the gym 4 times a week... Now I'm home with no gyms or rocks in sight. You're lucky your dad is willing to build a campus board! My grandmother doesn't even know if she'll let me hang a pullup bar on the door frame. :(

I went back to my university this past weekend and climbed a bit. Man, is my technique and strength shot... I was projecting .11s when I left, and I could barely get up an .8 when I got back for those couple of days.

So, in short... I'll be stalking this post for any tips. :)

sp00ki

Jun 23, 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #24 of 27 (15661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jnovakov wrote:
Jen

http://nmcquaid.blogspot.com/...bing-wall-setup.html

The only thing that maintains climbing ability is climbing. Cardio is fine, but there's specific stuff going on in your arms as you train to lengthen the time before you get pumped that only climbing can train.
Similarly, forearm strength, shoulder strength, technique, etc... running is not going to help you. If you want to keep your edge, climb (or do stuff as similar to climbing as possible).

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jun 23, 2010, 3:17 PM)

sp00ki

Jun 23, 2010, 3:26 PM
Post #25 of 27 (15653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Staying in shape when no climbing gym or outdoor routes nearby. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This one's cool and minimal too:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook