Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

crjanow

Jun 19, 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #26 of 83 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have approach shoes,climbing shoes,deproach shoes,repeling shoes,shoes for putting up my rope,and shoes for when i'm not doing anything while at the crag. then of course i use different shoes for driving to and from the crag unless i'm riding with a friend then i go barefoot for that so i dont have to carry any more shoes.Wink

RockGroundMountain

Jun 19, 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #27 of 83 (5788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pacman529] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey! When i decided to start rock climbing, i started buying all my gear and when i had already bought everything (except for the shoes) i ran out of money! hahaha, yeah my bad you guys! So i was desperate, how the hell was i supposed to rock climb with sneakers? Everyone would probably make fun of me, but then i remembered my old pair of Vibram Fivefingers! I was like "Yeah, this shoes must be awesome for rock climbing"! So, i started rock climbing with them, and i did it for four months straight!

I thought they were great shoes! My toes would fit in holes perfectly, falls weren't painful at all, and i didnt have to endure the uncomfortable feeling of having my toes squeezed! The only problem i faced was that they slipped, a LOT! They slipped and slipped and slipped! The sole is clearly not made for rock climbing. And i would get tired very quickly.

So one day i went to a store and got some real climbing shoes! I got the cheapest ones (25$) and i went rock climbing. I couldn't believe how easy everything was, i could stand perfectly on the tiniest ledges and they attached to the rock like if they were made out of glue! I ever got tired! And compared to the price of the fivefingers (70$), rock climbing shoes were way better for rock climbing!

So in conclusion, buy rock climbing shoes! Im not saying the fivefingers are bad shoes, they are very attractive and make people stare at your feet hahaha, but for rock climbing, buy regular rock climbing shoes, they are way better!

Hope this helped, good luck!

edge

Jun 19, 2010, 2:02 AM
Post #28 of 83 (5771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pacman529] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I seriously don't get the fascination with these shoes. Seriously.

Toe socks had a 3 month moment of appreciation in the early 80's (?) and I would rather wear those than these monstrosities of fashion.

So, they help build muscle when you run? Maybe run barefoot. I hear people have been doing that for a couple decades, at least.

People have been running for decades under the close scrutiny of Nike/Adidas/Whoever. Do you seriously think that they missed the advantages (not!) of offering a shoe with five toes in independent sleeves of rubber that may make other people ask questions prior to laugh and pointing?

Again, I just don't get it, and even if I did, I have more self-pride than to allow myself that indiscretion.

patto

Jun 19, 2010, 2:26 AM
Post #29 of 83 (5767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
People have been running for decades under the close scrutiny of Nike/Adidas/Whoever. Do you seriously think that they missed the advantages (not!) of offering a shoe with five toes in independent sleeves of rubber that may make other people ask questions prior to laugh and pointing?

People have been running for hundreds of millenium. If flexible feet with independent articulated toes weren't useful for our running gait then we would have evolved them away.

VFF are designed to provide a little more protection while allowing our feet to function as close to the way nature designed them to. They achieve their purpose VERY well. I have run, hiked and rock scrambled in these and have found them excellent.

Shoes don't allow our feet to function in quite the same way as nature intended. However for many things in life this is a happy trade off for protection, warmth and support.

jt512

Jun 19, 2010, 2:30 AM
Post #30 of 83 (5766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
edge wrote:

People have been running for hundreds of millenium. If flexible feet with independent articulated toes weren't useful for our running gait then we would have evolved them away.

VFF are designed to provide a little more protection while allowing our feet to function as close to the way nature designed them to. They achieve their purpose VERY well. I have run, hiked and rock scrambled in these and have found them excellent.

Shoes don't allow our feet to function in quite the same way as nature intended. However for many things in life this is a happy trade off for protection, warmth and support.

Nonetheless, they are grotesque.

Jay

patto

Jun 19, 2010, 2:38 AM
Post #31 of 83 (5763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay

Lol now you are just trolling! Laugh

RockGroundMountain wrote:
they are very attractive and make people stare at your feet hahaha,

You two should get together.

jt512

Jun 19, 2010, 2:41 AM
Post #32 of 83 (5761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

I wish I were. The fact is I find them inexplicably disturbing.

Jay

bill413

Jun 19, 2010, 4:21 AM
Post #33 of 83 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crjanow] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crjanow wrote:
i have approach shoes,climbing shoes,deproach shoes,repeling shoes,shoes for putting up my rope,and shoes for when i'm not doing anything while at the crag. then of course i use different shoes for driving to and from the crag unless i'm riding with a friend then i go barefoot for that so i dont have to carry any more shoes.Wink

Gear whore.

pacman529

Jun 19, 2010, 5:33 AM
Post #34 of 83 (5738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Just in case you wanted a serious answer to your question.

pacman529 wrote:
ok, i know i am going to take some flak for asking this... but what are approach shoes?
Approach shoes are a fancy name for shoes you wear to and from the cliff. One could argue they are merely a con so 5-10 and other companies can make more money out of climbers. Most shoes work but ones that are grippier may be better than the stilettos you wore the previous night.

pacman529 wrote:
why would you have separate shoes for going up and coming back?
You don't. Jay was being sarcastic and you fell for it.
Wink

lol thanks tho i will admit i probably walked right into that one.

crjanow

Jun 19, 2010, 9:06 PM
Post #35 of 83 (5689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
crjanow wrote:

Gear whore.
i just bought some belaying shoes today. looks like i will have to get a bigger crag bag now.

styndall

Jun 19, 2010, 9:51 PM
Post #36 of 83 (5683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

I wish I were. The fact is I find them inexplicably disturbing.

Jay

I think they're hideous, too, but they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever run trails in by far. I'll put up with the looks for that.

Partner angry

Jun 20, 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #37 of 83 (5662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:
edge wrote:

Jay

Haurachas are range from free to $20 depending on the parts you find laying around your house and they completely allow barefoot running technique. They're also fun to make and wear.

VFF's are consumerism.

gmggg

Jun 21, 2010, 4:30 PM
Post #38 of 83 (5596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
VFF's are consumerism.

sp00ki

Jun 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #39 of 83 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The best part about it is, the people who buy them to "run naturally" have never run more than three miles in their life and end up with injuries from doing little more than walking around.

If you want your coddled, soft, weak modern feet to get strong, start by clocking >40 miles a week for six months.
Then switch to racing flats.
Once you've gotten used to the pain at your heel, arch and top of foot, switch to Vibrams.
At that point, you'll begin to understand the difference between our ancestors running with bare feet after spending their entire lives walking around paths and up hills and in grass and on rock, and modern man running with bare feet on ultra hard pavement after spending 20+ years living on a sofa and driving anywhere past 1/2 a mile's walk.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jun 24, 2010, 10:04 PM)

rtwilli4

Jun 25, 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #40 of 83 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
edge wrote:

If you want your feet to be able to function naturally then walk around barefoot. I'm willing to bet that there isn't a single thing you do in your gay little toe condoms that I couldn't do better barefoot.

I'm also willing to bet that you weren't really running, but just jogging around the neighborhood for a few miles.

I spend entire climbing days without shoes, from the approach, to the climbing, to bush whacking a new trail through the jungle. I've never once thought "ooh it would be great if someone thought up a way for me to feel barefoot while actually wearing shoes."

If you need shoes, where them. If not, don't. All the little reasons people say these things are good for are just excuses to go and buy more shit.

patto

Jun 25, 2010, 4:26 PM
Post #41 of 83 (5521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
The best part about it is, the people who buy them to "run naturally" have never run more than three miles in their life and end up with injuries from doing little more than walking around.
That is almost me. I never ended up with injuries. Though I did have sore calves!

sp00ki wrote:
If you want your coddled, soft, weak modern feet to get strong, start by clocking >40 miles a week for six months.
Once you've gotten used to the pain at your heel, arch and top of foot, switch to Vibrams.
I don't get pain in my foot, heel or arch in my VFF. Furthermore if you are getting pain in your heel you are doing something wrong, there are no muscles in your heel! You shouldn't be impacting your heel.

sp00ki wrote:
At that point, you'll begin to understand the difference between our ancestors running with bare feet after spending their entire lives walking around paths and up hills and in grass and on rock, and modern man running with bare feet on ultra hard pavement after spending 20+ years living on a sofa and driving anywhere past 1/2 a mile's walk.
How many times does it need to be said. 'Ultra hard pavement' is not a concern. We don't rely on the ground to absord the impact so it is largely irrelevent!

rtwilli4 wrote:
If you want your feet to be able to function naturally then walk around barefoot. I'm willing to bet that there isn't a single thing you do in your gay little toe condoms that I couldn't do better barefoot.
Its not a competition dude.

rtwilli4 wrote:
I'm also willing to bet that you weren't really running, but just jogging around the neighborhood for a few miles.
Jogging shit me to tears. I have never felt comfortable in a jogging pace, particularly in shoes. I can happyily run or jog barefoot or in VFF.

redlude97

Jun 25, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #42 of 83 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
sp00ki wrote:
That is almost me. I never ended up with injuries. Though I did have sore calves!

sp00ki wrote:
I don't get pain in my foot, heel or arch in my VFF. Furthermore if you are getting pain in your heel you are doing something wrong, there are no muscles in your heel! You shouldn't be impacting your heel.

sp00ki wrote:
How many times does it need to be said. 'Ultra hard pavement' is not a concern. We don't rely on the ground to absord the impact so it is largely irrelevent!

rtwilli4 wrote:

rtwilli4 wrote:
Jogging shit me to tears. I have never felt comfortable in a jogging pace, particularly in shoes. I can happyily run or jog barefoot or in VFF.
I would strongly disagree with this

I_do

Jun 26, 2010, 1:20 PM
Post #43 of 83 (5475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
patto wrote:
sp00ki wrote:

sp00ki wrote:

sp00ki wrote:

rtwilli4 wrote:

rtwilli4 wrote:
I would strongly disagree with this

But that's just because you're not on drugs.

edge

Jun 26, 2010, 2:46 PM
Post #44 of 83 (5469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, here is my biased, hateful, venomous opinion:

People who buy these have too much cash and too little common sense. I mean, these shoes are butt-ugly, and by that I mean ugly like the butt of a 78 year old who you happen to see changing clothes in a gym locker room after being water-deprived for three hours.

I cannot imagine a single scenario where these monstrosities of fashion would merit so much as a passing consideration. Frankly, I would rather have radioactive toothpicks inserted under my toe nails.

As for those who saw the ads, bought the hype, and purchased these errors, well, they are the only ones defending their purpose. I guess that is slightly more manly than admitting that they got suckered for a handful of $twenties.

Please make these shoes go away...

styndall

Jun 26, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #45 of 83 (5455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The vitriol they inspire is amazing. Running in them feels nice, particularly on trails. Nicer than my old trail runners. That's it.

They're also $40.00 cheaper than my old trail runners.

patto

Jun 27, 2010, 1:21 PM
Post #46 of 83 (5417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I surprised people seem to hate these so much. Especially surprised that climbers all of a sudden seem to be vain and care how their shoes look. Crazy This is from a sport which where shoes that look like rubberised ballerina shoes! Laugh

I didn't see the advertisements, didn't buy into any hype. I bought these to put my money where my mouth was on the argument I have had with friends about not needing cushioning and support.

Some people may see them as consumerism but considering this is my first pair of running shoes I have bought in 8 years might put it into perspective. After 8 years of on and off use my runners were falling apart.

jamatt

Jun 27, 2010, 3:22 PM
Post #47 of 83 (5392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
I seriously don't get the fascination with these shoes. Seriously.

They make crocs look good.

sp00ki

Jun 27, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #48 of 83 (5376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Yeah I surprised people seem to hate these so much. Especially surprised that climbers all of a sudden seem to be vain and care how their shoes look. Crazy This is from a sport which where shoes that look like rubberised ballerina shoes! Laugh

I didn't see the advertisements, didn't buy into any hype. I bought these to put my money where my mouth was on the argument I have had with friends about not needing cushioning and support.

Some people may see them as consumerism but considering this is my first pair of running shoes I have bought in 8 years might put it into perspective. After 8 years of on and off use my runners were falling apart.
So a non runner giving an opinion on running "shoes" on a climbing site.

This is why no one should listen to anything on the internet ever.

styndall

Jun 27, 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #49 of 83 (5362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
patto wrote:

So a non runner giving an opinion on running "shoes" on a climbing site.

This is why no one should listen to anything on the internet ever.

My anecdote trumps your anecdote. Seriously, you're being dumb as hell.

carabiner96

Jun 27, 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #50 of 83 (5355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
After 8 years of on and off use my runners were falling apart.

No wonder you hate running shoes. 8 years? Dude...if you're actually running 3x a week, you can get a year, depending on distance, before the support and cushion kicks the bucket...if they're gross and falling apart, they're not doing their job anymore and haven't been for a while. You don't wait until your tires have holes in them before replacing them...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook