Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

blueeyedclimber

Jun 27, 2010, 2:03 AM
Post #1 of 45 (21912 views)
Shortcut

50 "FAVORITE" Climbs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The "Classic" climbs don't seem as fun as this list.
http://www.amazon.com/...erican/dp/0898867282

Which ones have you done? And is there anyone here who is working on doing all of them? I have only done Epinepherine, but I am hoping that VMC direct direct and The Grand Wall will go down this year, and Levitation 29 on my next trip to Red Rocks.

I think quite a few of these would be out of my reach, but I would like to try all the ones that aren't.

Josh

byran

Jun 27, 2010, 2:56 AM
Post #2 of 45 (21888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I've done more of the Roper Steck "classics" than these. I've only done Epinephrine, Levitation 29, The Vampire, and I've done part of Nabisco Wall and Lurking Fear. All excellent climbs.

Edit: It's kind of crazy how there's all these people like Caldwell and Bridwell and Hans Florine and Lynn Hill and yet nobody picked the Nose...

(This post was edited by byran on Jun 27, 2010, 3:24 AM)

blueeyedclimber

Jun 27, 2010, 4:40 AM
Post #3 of 45 (21847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [byran] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How was Levitation? I am doing The Grand Wall up in Squamish in a couple weeks. And hopefully VMC direct direct later this summer or in the fall.

The other ones, I haven't seriously looked at yet. I have no big wall experience, so those ones are not realistic for me yet.

It seems to me, though, that this list would be a nice lifetime goal. Smile

Josh

edge

Jun 27, 2010, 6:41 AM
Post #4 of 45 (21816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Which ones have you done? And is there anyone here who is working on doing all of them? I have only done Epinepherine, but I am hoping that VMC direct direct and The Grand Wall will go down this year, and Levitation 29 on my next trip to Red Rocks.

I think quite a few of these would be out of my reach, but I would like to try all the ones that aren't.

Josh

Well, I can't read any of those. However, the VMC Direct Direct remains my favorite climb of all time, and I count myself as a better human for seeing that section of rock...

bennydh

Jun 27, 2010, 7:18 AM
Post #5 of 45 (21805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
How was Levitation? I am doing The Grand Wall up in Squamish in a couple weeks. And hopefully VMC direct direct later this summer or in the fall.

The other ones, I haven't seriously looked at yet. I have no big wall experience, so those ones are not realistic for me yet.

It seems to me, though, that this list would be a nice lifetime goal. Smile

Josh

I actually climbed both Levitation 29 and the Vampire with Byran. The Vampire is way better than Levitation. I also don't think I would put Levitation in my personal top 50 climbs. I think Byran has a better opinion about that route than I do, but I 'll let him speak for himself.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 27, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #6 of 45 (21762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Well, I can't read any of those. However, the VMC Direct Direct remains my favorite climb of all time, and I count myself as a better human for seeing that section of rock...

Did you click on the book and then zoom in? Are you getting that old? Cool

Josh

edge

Jun 27, 2010, 2:32 PM
Post #7 of 45 (21751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Josh

Yes, I am.

However I have had personal conversations with over half of those people listed on the cover. Doesn't that account for something?

No?

Oh well...

blueeyedclimber

Jun 27, 2010, 2:35 PM
Post #8 of 45 (21748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Josh

Yes, I am.

However I have had personal conversations with over half of those people listed on the cover. Doesn't that account for something?

No?

Oh well...

Actually, to me, that counts for a lot. Now, since you can read the people, just squint a little more and tell me which climbs you have done. Cool

Partner camhead

Jun 27, 2010, 2:44 PM
Post #9 of 45 (21739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've wanted to get that book for a while, definitely a cool list of routes there.

I've only done two of them, the Original Route on Rainbow Wall in Red Rocks, and Primrose Dihedrals in Canyonlands. I almost did the Grand Wall, but rain messed up our plans.

That list does seem a bit skewed toward Red Rocks, too.

edge

Jun 27, 2010, 2:47 PM
Post #10 of 45 (21737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Josh

Yes, I am.

No?

Oh well...

Actually, to me, that counts for a lot. Now, since you can read the people, just squint a little more and tell me which climbs you have done. Cool

I've done three, backed off of four others, and dreamed about the rest...

My personal top 50 would be different.

Oh, and for the record:
Nabisco Wall
VMC Direct Direct
and the first 9 pitches of Hall of Mirrors

(This post was edited by edge on Jun 27, 2010, 2:52 PM)

bandycoot

Jun 27, 2010, 3:16 PM
Post #11 of 45 (21718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
I've wanted to get that book for a while, definitely a cool list of routes there.

I've only done two of them, the Original Route on Rainbow Wall in Red Rocks, and Primrose Dihedrals in Canyonlands. I almost did the Grand Wall, but rain messed up our plans.

That list does seem a bit skewed toward Red Rocks, too.

Me too! Rained off twice on the same trip!

Leavitation 29 is VERY highly overrated IMO.

I've managed to do 10 of them now:

The Vampire
Scirocco
Leavitation 29
Epinephrine
Astroman
Rostrum
Romantic Warrior
Original Route Rainbow Wall
Nabisco Wall
Tricks of the Trade

The routes are amazing quality. I find this list much more contemporary than 50 Classic Climbs. While those climbs might be good, I'd rather get on a route with unbelievable steep splitters at 5.11 than an easier 5.8-5.9 route. I really enjoy the book, and it has lead me to a few climbs I wouldn't have otherwise done, like Romantic Warrior and Tricks of the Trade. By the way the "800' hand crack in a headwall" = total BS. A great route, but I think Middendorf was just making that up to get people on his route.

Josh

kachoong

Jun 27, 2010, 3:26 PM
Post #12 of 45 (21711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder how many of those have been climbed extensively by others, such as the Grand Wall? The Infinite Spur would be an example of very low traffic. Favorites certainly are subjective and limited to the experiences of those climbers listed, although I'm sure many of those climbs would be much better than those in the 50 classic climbs of NA list... a little more modern.

Sadly I've only been on two of them; Grand Wall and Bird Brain, but would love to try more on the list.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 27, 2010, 3:56 PM
Post #13 of 45 (21695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice! I also feel the list is very Westcentric, too. There are only a couple that I could do without taking a significant trip. So, it will take us east coasters a little while longer to tick as many off.

Why do you feel Levitation is overrated? If Lynn Hill says it's her favorite climb, then that's good enough for me.

Josh

flamer

Jun 27, 2010, 4:03 PM
Post #14 of 45 (21690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done 6:

Original route of The rainbow wall
Epinephrine
Levitation 29
Lurking fear
The rostrum
And Prodigal Sun.

I agree that levitation29 is overated!

I actually climbed Epi, Og Route of Rainbow wall, and levitation all in the same day.

It was a big fun day....

josh

vegastradguy

Jun 27, 2010, 4:05 PM
Post #15 of 45 (21689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually really liked Levitation- thoughtful and engaging the entire way, not soft like alot of Urioste routes, and the position is tough to beat, and the crux is TOUGH- four tries before i was able to get it. Onsighted the rest of the route, though (barely in a couple of spots).

That said, of the ones i've done, Levitation is probably below the Grand Wall and Original Route in terms of quality and whether I'd repeat it. The Grand is just AMAZING- such a good climb. If i can manage a partner sometime in the next two weeks, I'm gonna hop on it again. And I'd do the Original Route again anytime- aside from how amazing the climbing and position is, the accessibility of the route surprises you and makes the day that much more enjoyable.

I've done a few of the 50 in the book,
Original Route, Rainbow Wall
Epinephrine
Grand Wall
Levitation 29

blueeyedclimber

Jun 27, 2010, 4:33 PM
Post #16 of 45 (21673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:

I actually climbed Epi, Og Route of Rainbow wall, and levitation all in the same day.

It was a big fun day....

josh

This is impressive. It took me all day just to do Epi, but I imagine it would go much quicker if I get on it again.

bennydh

Jun 27, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #17 of 45 (21629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Levitation 29 is just not a very interesting route. Its predictable, repetitive feeling, and its not all that aesthetic. Save 1 move in the second pitch, which is probably the crux, or a 10d upper pitch which is actually more fun than the majority of the climbing below it. The rest of the route just seems like any other moderate RR face route.

Its also ridiculous that its called 11c ? The 'enduro' pitch(supposed crux) link up section has edging feet for rest all over it.

I'd say a route like Unimpeachable Groping (10d?), which feels the same to me in grade, and is a bit better quality trumps Levitation 29 hands down.

The most ridiculous part of it all is that Unimpeachable groping is like a stout 5.9 by other world climbing standards, yet it feels about as hard as Levitation.

In the 'real' 11c category of climbing, I'd put down a climb like Atlantis in the Needles.

bandycoot

Jun 28, 2010, 2:16 AM
Post #18 of 45 (21572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, bennydh pretty much nailed it although it is harder than 10d. There's nothing that stands out about the route. If you want to push the limits 1 letter grade, get on Cloud Tower. Not THAT'S a quality line. Atlantis is an unbelievable 11c. I agree.

I also liked Unimpeachable Groping. Great route!

Josh

vegastradguy

Jun 28, 2010, 2:48 AM
Post #19 of 45 (21559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bennydh wrote:
Levitation 29 is just not a very interesting route. Its predictable, repetitive feeling, and its not all that aesthetic. Save 1 move in the second pitch, which is probably the crux, or a 10d upper pitch which is actually more fun than the majority of the climbing below it. The rest of the route just seems like any other moderate RR face route.

Its also ridiculous that its called 11c ? The 'enduro' pitch(supposed crux) link up section has edging feet for rest all over it.

I'd say a route like Unimpeachable Groping (10d?), which feels the same to me in grade, and is a bit better quality trumps Levitation 29 hands down.

The most ridiculous part of it all is that Unimpeachable groping is like a stout 5.9 by other world climbing standards, yet it feels about as hard as Levitation.

In the 'real' 11c category of climbing, I'd put down a climb like Atlantis in the Needles.

thats interesting, as i thought Unimpeachable was several notches easier and the rock quality was suspect most of the way up, especially on the pitches above the big ledge.

at any rate, to each their own. i liked levitation and think its a great RR route- certainly a classic and well worth climbing.

byran

Jun 28, 2010, 2:56 AM
Post #20 of 45 (21558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I liked Levitation and would consider it a must-do if you're in Red Rock. Eagle Wall's position up at the top of Oak Creek Canyon is excellent. The approach and descent are fun and scenic, and since Levitation can be climbed with a rack of quickdraws and nuts, you can go light and fast, covering a lot of ground in a single day. The route itself is classic Red Rock "hero climbing", with pretty much every pitch being steep and exposed yet surprisingly easy thanks to all the handholds and all the bolts.

Would I include it in my 50 favorite climbs? I dunno... maybe I would. But I think there's other routes on that list which should raise more eyebrows than Levitation.

Partner angry

Jun 28, 2010, 3:07 AM
Post #21 of 45 (21548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done 7 of them.

I will say that Levitation was OK, I'd do it again if someone asked me to. It was fun. Nothing too memorable.

Wunches Dihedral is probably the best 4 pitch route anywhere.

No qualifiers to that statement. It stacks up to Romantic Warrior, Astroman, Moonlight Buttress, Arianna, etc, except it's shorter.

mojede

Jun 28, 2010, 3:11 AM
Post #22 of 45 (21544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a link to the list--just scroll down...

http://tinyurl.com/2ajzqfz

Found on Google "books"

(This post was edited by mojede on Jun 28, 2010, 3:12 AM)

blueeyedclimber

Jun 28, 2010, 3:20 AM
Post #23 of 45 (21534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojede] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Uhhhh....I have a link in the first post.

Have you done any?

flamer

Jun 28, 2010, 5:38 AM
Post #24 of 45 (21508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Why do you feel Levitation is overrated? If Lynn Hill says it's her favorite climb, then that's good enough for me.

I think when Lynn did it her experience was different. Myabe she's done it again and just really likes it...who knows?
But Keep in mind she was on the first free ascent. In what? 1980? A much different experience.

josh

blueeyedclimber

Jun 28, 2010, 3:09 PM
Post #25 of 45 (21466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] 50 "FAVORITE" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

I think when Lynn did it her experience was different. Myabe she's done it again and just really likes it...who knows?
But Keep in mind she was on the first free ascent. In what? 1980? A much different experience.

josh

Very true. But, I am still psyched to do it.

I just wish all those climbs were not so damn far away. Mad

Josh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook