Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner angry

Jun 28, 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #51 of 83 (4735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The rule of thumb is 500 miles. I never payed attention and just got new ones based on "feel". It seemed to be every 4-6 months when I was running a lot.

Now that I don't run, my running shoes (that I only use to run in) have lasted like 2 years and still look brand new!!

carabiner96

Jun 28, 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #52 of 83 (4730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
The rule of thumb is 500 miles. I never payed attention and just got new ones based on "feel". It seemed to be every 4-6 months when I was running a lot.

Now that I don't run, my running shoes (that I only use to run in) have lasted like 2 years and still look brand new!!

Yeah, sounds like this guy didn't really run in them.

patto

Jun 28, 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #53 of 83 (4720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
VFF's are consumerism.

angry wrote:

Lol and you claim VFFs are consumerism! Laugh

I never claimed I was a 'runner'. I have never been a weekly runner for pleasure. Those shoes lasted years of running, indoor soccer, cycling and many other forms of excersize.

Regardless I have been running all my life in various forms. VFF feel amazing to run in. Angelic

carabiner96

Jun 28, 2010, 1:00 AM
Post #54 of 83 (4716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
angry wrote:
VFF's are consumerism.

angry wrote:

I never claimed I was a 'runner'. I have never been a weekly runner for pleasure. Those shoes lasted years of running, indoor soccer, cycling and many other forms of excersize.

Regardless I have been running all my life in various forms. VFF feel amazing to run in. Angelic
See my comment on tires. When you are a runner, your shoes are tools, not the latest trendy shit.

Partner angry

Jun 28, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #55 of 83 (4710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
angry wrote:
VFF's are consumerism.

angry wrote:

Foam gets packed down, once it is, running shoes should be relegated to walking and lounging shoes.

It sounds like what you had was just a pair of sneakers or tennies, sure, they'll last a while. Don't pretend that your experiences have anything to do with running.

My consumerism comment was directed to Hauraches. http://www.invisibleshoe.com/
If you want to run almost barefoot, these get the job done, cost between nothing and next to nothing (depending on if you use the Vibram Cherry rubber or just some old carpet or floormats) and take only a few minutes to make.

I can't imagine a single advantage of VFF's over these. Also, the toes were not evolved to be held wide like the VFF's do, for those "Cavemen are perfect" sorts in the crowd.

Personally I'm pretty happy with cheap Asics neutral (I find motion control/pronation shoes to actually give me MORE injuries) shoes. Once a kickstarter injury clears up, I'll be using my Hauraches to run to the beach, swim, and run home every morning before breakfast.

I wouldn't do serious miles on a fucking bet with them. Of course, the Tadamajara (spelling?) indians would take that bet.

styndall

Jun 28, 2010, 1:55 AM
Post #56 of 83 (4692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The VFFs have the advantage of keeping crap from getting between your foot and the sole and providing some protection to the fronts of toes, which can get stabbed or stubbed when running in sandals. They also don't hold your toes wide. I like to go fast on shorter trails, and VFFs feel much better than my old Vasques, which I replaced about every 6 months as the foam flattened out.

Huaraches would be fine if I were running on well-kept, level paths. If I had tough feet like Tarahumaran runners, I could use them fine, but alas, my dainty US feet aren't tough enough.

That said, anyone who gets worked up over other people's running shoe preferences needs to take a pill.

patto

Jun 28, 2010, 2:40 AM
Post #57 of 83 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
See my comment on tires. When you are a runner, your shoes are tools, not the latest trendy shit.

Crazy Yes and my 'tools' are feet. And protect them with VFF. I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.

angry wrote:
It sounds like what you had was just a pair of sneakers or tennies, sure, they'll last a while. Don't pretend that your experiences have anything to do with running.

WTF dude. I don't care if they were tap shoes. I ran in them. How does my running experience not have anything to do with running? Crazy

angry wrote:
My consumerism comment was directed to Hauraches.
You consumerism comment is a joke when put next to your comments of requiring to replace shoes every 6 months and claiming that my running experience have nothing to do with running.

angry wrote:
Also, the toes were not evolved to be held wide like the VFF's do, for those "Cavemen are perfect" sorts in the crowd.
Personally VFF don't hold my toes wide. But your experience could be different. I suppose it all depends how wide your feet are.

Oh and the only injury of note that I have ever really had running is breaking my 5 metatarsal. This occured due to the rolling of my foot. Shoes amplify the torque on any rolling and it would have been next to impossible to occur with a low or no heel.

(This post was edited by patto on Jun 28, 2010, 2:44 AM)

Partner angry

Jun 28, 2010, 2:51 AM
Post #58 of 83 (4672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Geez, you're really getting worked up. Hmm, no matter what I say, you're going to get all aggro to show me just how wrong I am. Nevermind the thousands of miles I've run in my life.

You should cede your ego and listen to others ideas or even logic instead of attempting to look like some e-badass amidst your malcontempt for what seems like the entire climbing community.

patto

Jun 28, 2010, 3:13 AM
Post #59 of 83 (4664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Geez, you're really getting worked up. Hmm, no matter what I say, you're going to get all aggro to show me just how wrong I am. Nevermind the thousands of miles I've run in my life.

You should cede your ego and listen to others ideas or even logic instead of attempting to look like some e-badass amidst your malcontempt for what seems like the entire climbing community.

I'm not argro, or worked up. Wink Kinda funny coming from somebody called 'angry'.

I'm not trying to 'show that you are wrong' nor judging your choices in running.

I am however happy to relay my positive experiences with VFF. And I do object to you claiming that you know the motives of my purchase better than I do and that I don't know anything about running.

I don't care if you are a world champion runner. Your experiences aren't universally applicable to everyone. Cool

(This post was edited by patto on Jun 28, 2010, 5:30 AM)

Partner angry

Jun 28, 2010, 3:19 AM
Post #60 of 83 (4659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've made me so mad that I'm going to go take 3 planes, 2 helicopters, and a boat to get to a place that hopefully I can forget about the drubbing I've received at your merciless fingertips.

banjolele

Jun 28, 2010, 8:13 AM
Post #61 of 83 (4643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
patto wrote:
After 8 years of on and off use my runners were falling apart.

No wonder you hate running shoes. 8 years? Dude...if you're actually running 3x a week, you can get a year, depending on distance, before the support and cushion kicks the bucket...if they're gross and falling apart, they're not doing their job anymore and haven't been for a while. You don't wait until your tires have holes in them before replacing them...

The beauty if that with these types of shoes you don't need padding, even on the harshest pavement. I ran 10k on street blacktop today in ~40 minutes and the only pains I have are from climbing.

The first use was a bit of a trial by fire doing my normal street 5k, and I definitely was a bit bruised. But using them on my normal run was good because I learned very quickly (and painfully) that landing on one's heel is bad, and hurts. As it should. It takes some time to build up the muscles (I guess ligaments/tendons/whatever too) and technique associated with this type of running style, but in the end I was a stronger runner for it.

Knowing we didn't evolve with running shoes, that forefoot striking will work muscles more in a different way, that some muscles are completely unsuited for forefoot striking after running in sneakers, and the painful nature nature of heel striking it was fairly clear the standard heel strike style (wild and outrageous claim incoming) was inadvertently developed by the shoe industry and adopted by people, rather than heel striking being the norm and shoes being developed to maximize running potential.

Go to a field/track when there is a little softness to the ground, and give both barefoot heel striking and forefoot striking a shot. If you found heel striking to be prime, no harm no foul in trying something different out.
If you found forefoot striking to be optimal, go with it.

VFF's aren't perfect, but pulling small shards of glass out of the sole (that would easily pierce heavily callused feet like mine), I'm glad for the marginal protection in a shoe that doesn't cramp my style.

(This post was edited by banjolele on Jun 28, 2010, 8:44 AM)

I_do

Jun 28, 2010, 9:40 AM
Post #62 of 83 (4631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [banjolele] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

banjolele wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
patto wrote:
After 8 years of on and off use my runners were falling apart.

No wonder you hate running shoes. 8 years? Dude...if you're actually running 3x a week, you can get a year, depending on distance, before the support and cushion kicks the bucket...if they're gross and falling apart, they're not doing their job anymore and haven't been for a while. You don't wait until your tires have holes in them before replacing them...

The beauty if that with these types of shoes you don't need padding, even on the harshest pavement. I ran 10k on street blacktop today in ~40 minutes and the only pains I have are from climbing.

The first use was a bit of a trial by fire doing my normal street 5k, and I definitely was a bit bruised. But using them on my normal run was good because I learned very quickly (and painfully) that landing on one's heel is bad, and hurts. As it should. It takes some time to build up the muscles (I guess ligaments/tendons/whatever too) and technique associated with this type of running style, but in the end I was a stronger runner for it.

Knowing we didn't evolve with running shoes, that forefoot striking will work muscles more in a different way, that some muscles are completely unsuited for forefoot striking after running in sneakers, and the painful nature nature of heel striking it was fairly clear the standard heel strike style (wild and outrageous claim incoming) was inadvertently developed by the shoe industry and adopted by people, rather than heel striking being the norm and shoes being developed to maximize running potential.

Go to a field/track when there is a little softness to the ground, and give both barefoot heel striking and forefoot striking a shot. If you found heel striking to be prime, no harm no foul in trying something different out.
If you found forefoot striking to be optimal, go with it.

VFF's aren't perfect, but pulling small shards of glass out of the sole (that would easily pierce heavily callused feet like mine), I'm glad for the marginal protection in a shoe that doesn't cramp my style.

If it is true that forefoot striking is the "natural' way, why don't you point me to some info that actually would substantiate this claim eh?

patto

Jun 28, 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #63 of 83 (4623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
If it is true that forefoot striking is the "natural' way, why don't you point me to some info that actually would substantiate this claim eh?

What sort of proof do you want?

Sure it is obvious that shoes are 'natural'. And surely it is obvious that our bodies have evolved to run varied surfaces.

There is less than a centimeter of soft tissue between the bottom of your heel and bone. Basic physics would tell you that this would lead to tissue damage from heel striking on hard ground, banjolele's anecodal evidence also shows this.

But our gait and our foot strike is completely dependent on the ground type. Forefoot striking on soft sand would be odd and could lead to injury. A mid foot or heel strike is superior on soft sand. This is obvious really.

I remember finding this out the hard way running into a volcanic northern california beach. I sprinted into the water, unfortunately for me the sand change to rock/pebbles just below the water line. Bruised heels because I was heel striking. Blush

I_do

Jun 28, 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #64 of 83 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
I_do wrote:

What sort of proof do you want?

Sure it is obvious that shoes are 'natural'. And surely it is obvious that our bodies have evolved to run varied surfaces.

There is less than a centimeter of soft tissue between the bottom of your heel and bone. Basic physics would tell you that this would lead to tissue damage from heel striking on hard ground, banjolele's anecodal evidence also shows this.

But our gait and our foot strike is completely dependent on the ground type. Forefoot striking on soft sand would be odd and could lead to injury. A mid foot or heel strike is superior on soft sand. This is obvious really.

I remember finding this out the hard way running into a volcanic northern california beach. I sprinted into the water, unfortunately for me the sand change to rock/pebbles just below the water line. Bruised heels because I was heel striking. Blush

Ah another post full of anecdotes, seriously dude it's not that hard. I want some data/research suggesting people ran with a forefoot strike before they got influenced by the heelstrikenazi's.

patto

Jun 28, 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #65 of 83 (4600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
Ah another post full of anecdotes, seriously dude it's not that hard. I want some data/research suggesting people ran with a forefoot strike before they got influenced by the heelstrikenazi's.

Do you need data or research to tell you that dropping a hammer on you toe hurts?

I am not you librarian so I am not getting you your data. Go for a barefoot run on hard ground and decide for yourself.

Partner j_ung

Jun 28, 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #66 of 83 (4596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
I seriously don't get the fascination with these shoes. Seriously.

Toe socks had a 3 month moment of appreciation in the early 80's (?) and I would rather wear those than these monstrosities of fashion.

So, they help build muscle when you run? Maybe run barefoot. I hear people have been doing that for a couple decades, at least.

People have been running for decades under the close scrutiny of Nike/Adidas/Whoever. Do you seriously think that they missed the advantages (not!) of offering a shoe with five toes in independent sleeves of rubber that may make other people ask questions prior to laugh and pointing?

Again, I just don't get it, and even if I did, I have more self-pride than to allow myself that indiscretion.

I have Vibram 5-fingers tattooed all over both my feet, so it looks like I'm wearing them, even when I'm not. Tongue

I_do

Jun 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #67 of 83 (4589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
I_do wrote:

Do you need data or research to tell you that dropping a hammer on you toe hurts?

I am not you librarian so I am not getting you your data. Go for a barefoot run on hard ground and decide for yourself.

Well obviously the heel is padded, so it is designed to absorb impact, so it is natural to run with a heel strike. See how that works?

You're the one making unsubstantiated (sp?) claims, so you need to supply some non-anecdotal arguments that don't revolve around your perceived notion of what is natural.

Here I'll show you how; patto is talking out his ass about stuff he clearly knows jack shit about, as evidenced by his posts in this thread.

You see? I make a claim, I support it with data, now you try or get out of the discussion.

edit to add, all you say is that you think it is better for you, outside of your frame of reference your claims hold no stake.

(This post was edited by I_do on Jun 28, 2010, 12:46 PM)

patto

Jun 28, 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #68 of 83 (4586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or I can choose to ignore your idiocy! Wink

I_do

Jun 28, 2010, 1:30 PM
Post #69 of 83 (4573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Or I can choose to ignore your idiocy! Wink

Sure you can, no-one can force you to act like an adult.

jt512

Jun 28, 2010, 2:55 PM
Post #70 of 83 (4551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
I_do wrote:

Yeah, go run barefoot on concrete to determine the natural way to run on the savanna.

Even if that could prove that it is more "natural" to run with a forefoot strike, "what is natural" is a red herring. The issue isn't which is more natural; it's which is better (less injurious, more efficient, etc.).

So, you have proposed an invalid test of the wrong hypothesis.

Jay

patto

Jun 28, 2010, 3:17 PM
Post #71 of 83 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Vibram Fivefingers, good for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:
I_do wrote:

Yeah, go run barefoot on concrete to determine the natural way to run on the savanna.

I wasn't suggesting this. You will see that I have already pointed out that we naturally heel strike on some surfaces barefoot.

jt512 wrote:
Even if that could prove that it is more "natural" to run with a forefoot strike, "what is natural" is a red herring. The issue isn't which is more natural; it's which is better (less injurious, more efficient, etc.).

I haven't proposed any test whatsoever. Nor have I argued that VFF are more efficient or universally less injurious.

All I have said is that I enjoy running in them and they are suitable for ME. Is that really that contravertial of a claim! I have never suggested they are suitable for everybody.

jt512

Jun 28, 2010, 3:28 PM
Post #72 of 83 (4537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:
I_do wrote:

I am not you librarian so I am not getting you your data.

I wasn't suggesting this. You will see that I have already pointed out that we naturally heel strike on some surfaces barefoot.

jt512 wrote:

I haven't proposed any test whatsoever.

Yes, you did: "Go for a barefoot run on hard ground and decide for yourself."

In reply to:
Nor have I argued that VFF are more efficient or universally less injurious.

Well, if you had, at least then you'd have been arguing something relevant.

Jay

caughtinside

Jun 28, 2010, 4:11 PM
Post #73 of 83 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man, people sure get fired up over those silly looking shoes! Really, who cares what shoes people wear? Most people think rock climbing is stupid.

I always thought those five fingers would be nice descent shoes, lightweight and low profile on the harness. The climbers I know who have them dig them.

pacman529

Jun 28, 2010, 4:34 PM
Post #74 of 83 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:

i'm trying to remain neutral, but i did find this: http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

styndall

Jun 28, 2010, 5:10 PM
Post #75 of 83 (4499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
patto wrote:
I_do wrote:

Jay

I recall reading some study (or, if not a study, a collection of anecdotes) by a podiatrist (or some podiatrists?) that suggested that they saw more knee injuries from heel-strikers and more foot puncture wounds from barefoot runners. I can't find it at the moment, though, so take that very tentatively. I don't imagine there's a big enough community of barefoot runners for injury rates to have seen extensive study anyway.

EDIT: From the Harvard site pacman529 linked above:
In reply to:
Do barefoot runners get injured less?
Barefoot runners often adopt forefoot or midfoot strike gaits and have softer landing, which may reduce their risk of injury. While there are anectodal reports of barefoot runners being injured less, there is very little scientific evidence to support this hypothesis at this time. Well-controlled studies are needed to determine whether barefoot running results in fewer injuries.

(This post was edited by styndall on Jun 28, 2010, 5:20 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook