Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kjaking

Jul 1, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #26 of 38 (3553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtkinji] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mtkinji wrote:
Listen dude, if you're mad then go take it out on your dog - this is a gear forum.

Hey, that dog doesn't understand his anger at a carabiner either - let the guy try punching the rock to get rid of stress

csproul

Jul 1, 2010, 9:26 PM
Post #27 of 38 (3543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
mtkinji wrote:
4) Mad Rock probably doesn't expect you to switch all of your rack's rope-side carabiners - these are intended more for crux draws. These are made to eliminating that extra second or two of fumbling with that difficult clip. You'll be happy you had some when you send your project. They DO work for that.

5) Easier than normal draws to stick clip - now all you need is a stick and a rubber band.

Summary: You don't have to like them, or even think they're functional enough to buy - but you'd better actually use them before you pass an opinion on how they really function. The bottom line is that they can only improve your climbing.

4 - So instead of just grabbing the draw off my harness and clipping, I'll have to LOOK DOWN AT MY HARNESS AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT DRAW! I can definitely see how this will help me "send my project."

It's sport climbing. Why would you be grabbing draws off your harness for the send...they should already be hung!

justroberto

Jul 2, 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #28 of 38 (3525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Over-engineering a nonexistent problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An0mFZ3enhM

(This post was edited by justroberto on Jul 2, 2010, 12:43 AM)

rtwilli4

Jul 2, 2010, 9:32 AM
Post #29 of 38 (3504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtkinji] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mtkinji wrote:
Listen dude, if you're mad then go take it out on your dog - this is a gear forum.

I'm not angry I just think that it is a ridiculous product that is purely an attempt on making money, and not helping climbers in any way. Bottom line, if you can't clip a quick draw properly then you shouldn't be climbing.

rtwilli4

Jul 2, 2010, 9:37 AM
Post #30 of 38 (3501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
mtkinji wrote:
4) Mad Rock probably doesn't expect you to switch all of your rack's rope-side carabiners - these are intended more for crux draws. These are made to eliminating that extra second or two of fumbling with that difficult clip. You'll be happy you had some when you send your project. They DO work for that.

5) Easier than normal draws to stick clip - now all you need is a stick and a rubber band.

Summary: You don't have to like them, or even think they're functional enough to buy - but you'd better actually use them before you pass an opinion on how they really function. The bottom line is that they can only improve your climbing.

4 - So instead of just grabbing the draw off my harness and clipping, I'll have to LOOK DOWN AT MY HARNESS AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT DRAW! I can definitely see how this will help me "send my project."

It's sport climbing. Why would you be grabbing draws off your harness for the send...they should already be hung!

I know that's common practice but I don't usually do it. I've never left gear on a route unless I was fixing lines or re-bolting. And I generally get on climbs that I can do it a few tries, then I move on to other routes. No point climbing the same route over and over again. Most of the hardest routes I've done were either trad. or sport climbs that I'm trying to onsite.

bill413

Jul 2, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #31 of 38 (3489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
Over-engineering a nonexistent problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An0mFZ3enhM

Looked more like 5 seconds to me.

caughtinside

Jul 2, 2010, 9:39 PM
Post #32 of 38 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

5 - Since when do you ever need anything but a stick and a rubber band?

what's the rubber band for?

moose_droppings

Jul 3, 2010, 1:33 AM
Post #33 of 38 (3437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
4 - So instead of just grabbing the draw off my harness and clipping, I'll have to LOOK DOWN AT MY HARNESS AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT DRAW!

Why would you have to look down to know whats where on your harness?

rtwilli4

Jul 3, 2010, 7:56 AM
Post #34 of 38 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
4 - So instead of just grabbing the draw off my harness and clipping, I'll have to LOOK DOWN AT MY HARNESS AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT DRAW!

he said you only need one for the crux clip. Well, if you have ONE of these madrock things and 7 other draws on your harness, you'd spend just as much time picking the madrock draw out of the set then it would take you to just clip a normal draw.

If yo guys want to use this piece of junk then go for it. Just don't expect any climbers to join you.

I_do

Jul 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #35 of 38 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

he said you only need one for the crux clip. Well, if you have ONE of these madrock things and 7 other draws on your harness, you'd spend just as much time picking the madrock draw out of the set then it would take you to just clip a normal draw.

If yo guys want to use this piece of junk then go for it. Just don't expect any climbers to join you.

You are right because it is unpossible to know where you racked it without looking.

I'd like one for stick clip functions, of the things I need to improve in my climbing saving a second or so clipping the crux is very low on my list somewhere below not stepping on an ant nest before my next attempt.

Ohjolt2

Jul 9, 2010, 2:55 PM
Post #36 of 38 (3361 views)
Shortcut

mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually got a couple of these in the mail yesterday.
They looked interesting on the site and i was allready ordering a bunch of biners anyway.

Initial impressions:
These are well made, the fit and finish is better than i expected. The mechanism is solid and it is a nice biner overall regardless of the trigger wire.
The trigger wire itself isn't flimsy and has a good spring to hold it out of the way.
The first thing i did was see how hard you have to hit it to get it to release. It will only trip the mechanism if you hit it directly against the spine (fairly hard). You can hit them sideways, top, bottom, and gate sides and it will not spring itself. I can't see that it would trigger while hanging from your harness, unless you just took an amazing whipper or some how got it to really smack the rock hard and in just the right way.

I haven't had a chance to field test it but i did some mock clipping in the living room and it snaps shut the instant the rope touches it, of you clip it on a bolt.

You can also work it with one hand fairly easily.
You guys can argue the usefulness of this thing all day, i will stay out of that, but i will say that it is well made and it stays open when you want it to.

jake

MS1

Jul 9, 2010, 9:46 PM
Post #37 of 38 (3325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

You are right because it is unpossible to know where you racked it without looking.

I'd like one for stick clip functions, of the things I need to improve in my climbing saving a second or so clipping the crux is very low on my list somewhere below not stepping on an ant nest before my next attempt.

The stick clip function seems even less useful than the crux clip use. If you find it hard to stick clip using a regular biner than you are doing it wrong.

ColinCunningham

Jun 13, 2012, 4:00 PM
Post #38 of 38 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] mad rock trigger wire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wellll.... Seems like everyone has the same question here, and I did too, so I did some digging. As to the whole "staying racked while climbing thing" I found this video and I can now say that I will have a few. I also picked one up and tried to slam it closed, it takes a significant amount of force in any direction for it to close, except the trigger. I dropped it from my head height at 6 feet and it still stayed open as well. But check out the video.

http://vimeo.com/9792152

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook