Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Yosemite advice (non-climbing related)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dlintz

Jul 5, 2010, 7:06 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite advice (non-climbing related)  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My wife and I are planning a two week roadtrip to California and plan to spend at least a few days in Yosemite. My wife doesn't climb much these days and I resigned myself to just being a touron for this trip.

With that said is Yosemite the gridlocked zoo that I've read it to be? Is it difficult to find camping? Do I need to make reservations way in advance? On the off chance I could get in some cragging does anyone have any recommendations for single pitch trad or sport up to 5.10? Any help would be appreciated.

d.

Gmburns2000

Jul 5, 2010, 8:08 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Yosemite advice (non-climbing related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
My wife and I are planning a two week roadtrip to California and plan to spend at least a few days in Yosemite. My wife doesn't climb much these days and I resigned myself to just being a touron for this trip.

With that said is Yosemite the gridlocked zoo that I've read it to be? Is it difficult to find camping? Do I need to make reservations way in advance? On the off chance I could get in some cragging does anyone have any recommendations for single pitch trad or sport up to 5.10? Any help would be appreciated.

d.

yeah, it's a zoo, though it depends on when you're going. I would definitely make reservations in advance, though you may get lucky and get to the head of the Camp 4 line and snag a spot there the day you arrive (we got in line at about 8am and were the fourth party when we went. That was in June, too).

There's also decent single-pitch right next to Camp 4, too, and the approach is, um, about as easy as it can get.

dlintz

Jul 5, 2010, 8:34 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Yosemite advice (non-climbing related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's good to know (about the camping). It'll be mostly hiking and photography while in the park. Hopefully I can get on a few routes or maybe some bouldering at the least.

d.

socalclimber

Jul 5, 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Yosemite advice (non-climbing related) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The valley this time of year can be next to impossible to get much of anything. Although you can get lucky. You can also look into camping just outside the valley depending on which way you are coming in. There is plenty of forest service land and camp sites outside the south entrance.

Have fun. I've done the valley touron thing, it's not that bad. We just stayed outside of the park. The only down side is the drive to the valley floor.

MAKE VERY SURE YOU HAVE A FULL TANK OF GAS BEFORE YOU ENTER THE PARK. If you get low and need to get gas in the valley proper, be prepared to bend over!

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Jul 5, 2010, 10:26 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook