Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tradmanclimbs

Jul 8, 2010, 4:02 AM
Post #26 of 45 (5718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] Climbing all 50 classics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Also a lak=ck of interest in some of the climbs. guys that can and do enjoy some of the climbs may have no interest in others. I know there are quite a few in there that would not interest me yet there are others that I drool over. Still think it's a pretty cool list after all these years..

rangerrob

Jul 8, 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #27 of 45 (5702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Climbing all 50 classics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand what Tradman is saying. Your average recreational climber does not have the skillset to to do all these routes. When you round up all the climbers in this country, I'm guessing less than 1% would have the skills to get up all these routes.

Colin and Josh, are by no means obscure climbers. They are getting in the press, getting funding, etc. They are the cuttin gedge of Alpinism. They are in the 1%.

However I also agree with Chas as well. There are some pretyy badass people out there walking in and among us and you would have no idea what they have done. I was flapping my gums one day at Rumney and i did what I always tell myself not to do. I saw some gumby looking guy dressed very awkwardly and thrutching his way up a not so hard 5.10. I judged him before I even spoke to him. As it turned out, when I did come aroun dot striking up a conversation, I found out that the previous year he had been up the North Buttress of Hunter. For those of you who don't know...that route requires exactly the skill set we are talking about. Aid, hard rock, and harder ice. I was humbled, and quite embarrassed at how I had acted before getting to know the facts.

RR

kachoong

Jul 8, 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #28 of 45 (5701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kaizen] Climbing all 50 classics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kaizen wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breathe on this. Hummingbird Ridge has never seen a repeat, and that includes attempts from teams far more skilled and experienced than the Smiley's appear to be.

EDIT for clarity.

I find it odd that something that's never seen a repeat ascent is considered a "classic"...

tradmanclimbs

Jul 8, 2010, 2:25 PM
Post #29 of 45 (5679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbing all 50 classics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

That book is a slice of history. I also find it interesting that they considered a stunning line a classic even if it had only been climbed once. these days we conside a classic to be the climb that gets the most traffic.

The book was written in an era when most climbers were versitile in all aspects of climbing and the mountains were the ultimate goal.

Harvard students honed their skills at the gunks, cathedral, white horse, Cannon and Mt washington's Hunnington Ravine. When summer came and school was out they went to Alaska and put up new routs on big mountains.

These days most college kids in the NE hone their skills @ rumny with dreams of going to to Tailand to live in a bungalo for 6 weeks and smoke bales of weed while cranking limestone over bad bolts.

There are still a lot of real climbers out there but I venture a guess that they are in the minority..

dynosore

Jul 8, 2010, 2:47 PM
Post #30 of 45 (5672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradman, that is an insightful post.

I may never climb 5.12, but I sure hope to climb Devil's Thumb someday. Getting out in the big mountains is what I see as adventure. Standing in line at the base of a 1 pitch polished "classic" has no appeal to me. To each their own.

kachoong

Jul 8, 2010, 3:26 PM
Post #31 of 45 (5657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
That book is a slice of history. I also find it interesting that they considered a stunning line a classic even if it had only been climbed once. these days we conside a classic to be the climb that gets the most traffic.

Good point... I can see too that a climb can be viewed as "classic" in terms of aesthetics. I know I've seen a line in the past and thought it to be classic-looking, even if I hadn't been on it.

tradmanclimbs wrote:
These days most college kids in the NE hone their skills @ rumny with dreams of going to to Tailand to live in a bungalo for 6 weeks and smoke bales of weed while cranking limestone over bad bolts.

Laugh

wmfork

Jul 8, 2010, 4:36 PM
Post #32 of 45 (5640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
You know there is an Alpine & Ice (and a Big Wall & Aid) forum on this site. Trad climbing involves free climbing on removable pros, not ice axe, piton (not anymore at least), or pulling on gear.

For some of of free climbs in that book, there are many more climbs of higher quality in the same area. It has been more than 30 years since the book was first published, a lot has happened in free climbing.

(This post was edited by wmfork on Jul 8, 2010, 4:52 PM)

tradmanclimbs

Jul 8, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #33 of 45 (5632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Climbing all 50 classics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Relax dude, we are talking about a cool old book that is a part of our climbing history. You got a problem with that?

mr.tastycakes

Jul 8, 2010, 6:53 PM
Post #34 of 45 (5609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deep water soloing and smoking bales of weed for 6 weeks in Thailand sounds much better than freezing my balls off in Nowhere, Alaska.

Aww schucks, I guess I'll never be a real climber.

tradmanclimbs

Jul 8, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #35 of 45 (5599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Climbing all 50 classics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, Real climbers take those Thiland beach party trips to wind down and relax after the crazy new bigwall in Kashmir...

wmfork

Jul 8, 2010, 7:27 PM
Post #36 of 45 (5599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
Relax dude, we are talking about a cool old book that is a part of our climbing history. You got a problem with that?
I'm not the one preaching "real" climbing (which by your definition means a lot of mountaineering, mixed climbing & aid) in a free climbing forum.

olderic

Jul 8, 2010, 8:56 PM
Post #37 of 45 (5576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
tradmanclimbs wrote:
I'm not the one preaching "real" climbing (which by your definition means a lot of mountaineering, mixed climbing & aid) in a free climbing forum.

I think most trad climbers are much more likely to be well rounded and pursueing alpine, ice and aid - much more then you give them credit for. Some cockamaney definition that involves "free" climbing and dosen't include pins is not really where its at. Unless you are some noob who just bought a couple of shiney cams and is out to show that trad is rad.

wmfork

Jul 8, 2010, 9:28 PM
Post #38 of 45 (5569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Climbing all 50 classics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
I think most trad climbers are much more likely to be well rounded and pursueing alpine, ice and aid - much more then you give them credit for.
Where did I not give people credit for alpine, ice and aid climbing? That does not change the accepted definition that ice and aid are not trad climbing.

olderic wrote:
Some cockamaney definition that involves "free" climbing and dosen't include pins is not really where its at.
I thought free climbing is fairly well defined and understood and is the challenge facing the current generation of climbers (since climbers of yester years have already shown that just about any mountain can be conquered in expedition style and any rock face can be aided with fixed pro).

olderic wrote:
Unless you are some noob who just bought a couple of shiney cams and is out to show that trad is rad.
Thanx for the personal attack there.

tradmanclimbs

Jul 8, 2010, 9:57 PM
Post #39 of 45 (5558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

STFU NoooooBSly real climbers know how to swing a hammerCool

tradmanclimbs

Jul 9, 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #40 of 45 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, i could not resist thatWink

wmfork

Jul 9, 2010, 2:34 AM
Post #41 of 45 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
STFU NoooooBSly real climbers know how to swing a hammerCool
Says the guy who think pounding pins is clean climbing...

Who said I have not swung a hammer placing fixed gear, climbed mixed routes (though I find pure ice climbing pretty boring)? I bet I've onsighted more difficult grade V climbs (not that I have much of a tick list for long routes) than you've ever attempted, but hey weakmos always need to find their little niche to belittle others.

tradmanclimbs

Jul 9, 2010, 2:44 AM
Post #42 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was a joke .... I am sure you are strong like bull but you are obviously uptight as well. We were talking about some cool ancient history here and you jump in and belittle the climbs over ethics so i gave you some wise assed remarks meant as a joke. WTF were you thinking anyways? that shit came out of left field...

olderic

Jul 9, 2010, 1:33 PM
Post #43 of 45 (5489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think "smart like bull" might be more descriptive. Seems quite confused regarding the correlation of fixed gear and aid and free. Or fixed gear related to trad or sport. Presumably is one of those that think bolted 5.9's in the Meadows (that would be Tuolumne not Rumney - as any trad climber would know) must be easy sport climbs. Probably thinks "ground up" refers to pepper.

wmfork

Jul 9, 2010, 5:08 PM
Post #44 of 45 (5464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Climbing all 50 classics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Presumably is one of those that think bolted 5.9's in the Meadows (that would be Tuolumne not Rumney - as any trad climber would know) must be easy sport climbs. Probably thinks "ground up" refers to pepper.
That reminds me of when I was in Alaska and a kayak guide told us about a couple from San Francisco that kept referring themselves as from "the bay area". 5.9? yawn, what year is it again? On second thought, you are the same guy who wants to inject you ethic 2 cents on Vedauwoo to Justin and John, why did I even bother to reply?

builttospill

Jul 12, 2010, 6:10 PM
Post #45 of 45 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
olderic wrote:
Presumably is one of those that think bolted 5.9's in the Meadows (that would be Tuolumne not Rumney - as any trad climber would know) must be easy sport climbs. Probably thinks "ground up" refers to pepper.
That reminds me of when I was in Alaska and a kayak guide told us about a couple from San Francisco that kept referring themselves as from "the bay area". 5.9? yawn, what year is it again? On second thought, you are the same guy who wants to inject you ethic 2 cents on Vedauwoo to Justin and John, why did I even bother to reply?

Why is that funny? Because someone chose to refer to their home by a major geographical feature and incredibly common name which is accepted near-universally and is only ambiguous to some literal-minded jackass because there happens to be multiple "bays" in the world? Someone better tell the people on the "Gulf Coast" that they're amusing to all the people that live in Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Iran. And all the people that say they live on the "East Coast," well, they're hilarious to all of East Africa, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and a good chunk of Asia too.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook