RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Jul 10, 2010, 5:21 AM
Post #1 of 19 (15223 views)
Shortcut

Crews rescue injured Ohiopyle rock climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

A rescue team of firefighters and paramedics needed to use all-terrain vehicles Friday afternoon to aid a 34-year-old woman who suffered a broken leg while rock climbing, and transport her out of the rugged Meadow Run section of Ohiopyle State Park to a medical helicopter.

The woman, whose name could not be confirmed, was climbing with her boyfriend at about 1 p.m. when one of her legs apparently got tangled in a rope, park officials said. Her companion was on the ground serving as the belayer while the woman was climbing, they said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/...ghtrib/s_689810.html

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jul 10, 2010, 5:23 AM)

cruxstacean

Jul 10, 2010, 5:03 PM
Post #2 of 19 (15150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Crews rescue injured Ohiopyle rock climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sounds like she fell with her leg behind the rope?

troutboy

Jul 10, 2010, 9:01 PM
Post #3 of 19 (15082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruxstacean] Crews rescue injured Ohiopyle rock climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cruxstacean wrote:
Sounds like she fell with her leg behind the rope?

I think you mean fell with the rope behind her leg...

TS

cruxstacean

Jul 10, 2010, 9:19 PM
Post #4 of 19 (15075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] Crews rescue injured Ohiopyle rock climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oops yeah, details details....

XPat

Aug 3, 2010, 3:47 PM
Post #7 of 19 (14341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am replying to this post in hopes to reach out to the 3 hikers that helped us after the accident at Meadow Run. We owe you a huge thanks for your incredible and unselfish act. We hope to hear from you so we can properly thank you.

majid_sabet

Aug 3, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #8 of 19 (14299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [XPat] Crews rescue injured Ohiopyle rock climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

XPat wrote:
I am replying to this post in hopes to reach out to the 3 hikers that helped us after the accident at Meadow Run. We owe you a huge thanks for your incredible and unselfish act. We hope to hear from you so we can properly thank you.

so tell us what happened there

MS

lena_chita

Aug 6, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #9 of 19 (14164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

XPat wrote:

You are not likely to reach the hikers who helped you by posting on this website. if you trully want to reach them, find their info in a report, or something.

But if you were the injured climber, or a friend/partner/famiy, I hope the recovery is going O.K. and everyone is doing well.

XPat

Aug 7, 2010, 5:39 AM
Post #10 of 19 (14028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Crews rescue injured Ohiopyle rock climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately they did not leave their names.

milesenoell

Aug 7, 2010, 5:59 AM
Post #11 of 19 (14020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

XPat,
If you could provide any clarifications or details about the incident, you have an eager audience that would love to learn anything that can be drawn from your unfortunate experience.

I'm curious about the way this went down and can't quite picture this yet. I agree with the others that "tangled in the rope" is likely an inaccurate description, and that the likely scenario that would be described in this way is a lead fall with a foot between the rope and the wall. The thing is, I associate that with upper body injuries and head injuries rather than broken legs.

Can you specify the injury for us? Upper leg, lower leg, ankle/foot? Tangled, tripped, flipped?

XPat

Aug 7, 2010, 6:14 AM
Post #12 of 19 (14013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
MS

She is a very experienced climber with lots of alpine accomplishments. She was using the short single pitch for training. We set up a TR using the bolts for the anchor. She had flashed the route 3 times in about 15 minutes. She wanted to climb it "one last time" before we took a break. We had been climbing all morning.

She made it to the top of the pitch quickly without problems. She was about 4 feet to the right of the TR anchor. Instead of tucking her leg underneath her at the top of the pitch she threw her right leg over the lip of the pitch. Think getting out of a pool at the deep end.

She had to leave her left foot hold to get her leg over the pitch. Due to the moss, she started to slide off the pitch. She leaned back to gain some umph, and fell. Because she was horizontal on the lip she rotated up except her right leg got pinned between a bulge on the rock and the now weighted rope.

The crack of her lower leg breaking was so loud it echoed around the crag. I thought it was a tree falling.

2 weeks in the hospital, 3 surgeries, 9 screws, a plate, a rod, a skin graft for the front of her entire lower leg, 42 staples and a dozen stitches repaired her 8 separate breaks of her tib and fib.

3 months in a wheelchair, some rehab and she should be climbing in about a year.

The lesson learned: stay on route even when topping out. Being pumped causes mental fatigue. A simple mistake caused by mental fatigue on a short TR as easy as 5.8 can lead to serious injury. Don't take any route for granted. Be more adamant about safety for the climbers when belaying; don't accept any excuse from the climbers when it comes to their safety.
Attachments: break2.jpg (60.7 KB)
  break.jpg (62.7 KB)

damage

Aug 9, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #13 of 19 (13900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's to a full recovery!

milesenoell

Aug 9, 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #14 of 19 (13860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the explanation, and here's to a swift and full recovery!

Partner robdotcalm

Aug 10, 2010, 6:15 PM
Post #15 of 19 (13784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the details. This was such an unusual accident for an experienced climber that it's a warning to all of us.

Sincere wishes for a good recovery.

rob.calm

majid_sabet

Aug 10, 2010, 6:21 PM
Post #16 of 19 (13777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Crews rescue injured Ohiopyle rock climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
Thanks for the details. This was such an unusual accident for an experienced climber that it's a warning to all of us.

Sincere wishes for a good recovery.

rob.calm

not just that but on TR !!

Cosizzle

Dec 24, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #17 of 19 (13127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow this just goes to show even the small things can result in very large mistakes. I'm glad shes doing ok -- hopefully in good spirits!

My best wishes to a full mental/physical recovery!

onrockandice

Jan 5, 2011, 7:17 PM
Post #18 of 19 (12829 views)
Shortcut

The yet unasked question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So was this just bravado and foolishness? Is typically a safe exit to the route? Could she have done this safely and if so was falling the only thing she did wrong?

I am curious as to why a climber on TR would attempt to get above the anchor which just seems like an invitation for a near FF2 fall...

Now, I myself have climbed above the anchor on TR but never on a sketchy mantle that hadn't been cleaned yet. I wonder why she was doing this last "leg up". Was it necessary to break-down the anchor and clean off the climb?

Gmburns2000

Jan 5, 2011, 8:36 PM
Post #19 of 19 (12786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

XPat wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
MS

She is a very experienced climber with lots of alpine accomplishments. She was using the short single pitch for training. We set up a TR using the bolts for the anchor. She had flashed the route 3 times in about 15 minutes. She wanted to climb it "one last time" before we took a break. We had been climbing all morning.

She made it to the top of the pitch quickly without problems. She was about 4 feet to the right of the TR anchor. Instead of tucking her leg underneath her at the top of the pitch she threw her right leg over the lip of the pitch. Think getting out of a pool at the deep end.

She had to leave her left foot hold to get her leg over the pitch. Due to the moss, she started to slide off the pitch. She leaned back to gain some umph, and fell. Because she was horizontal on the lip she rotated up except her right leg got pinned between a bulge on the rock and the now weighted rope.

The crack of her lower leg breaking was so loud it echoed around the crag. I thought it was a tree falling.

2 weeks in the hospital, 3 surgeries, 9 screws, a plate, a rod, a skin graft for the front of her entire lower leg, 42 staples and a dozen stitches repaired her 8 separate breaks of her tib and fib.

3 months in a wheelchair, some rehab and she should be climbing in about a year.

The lesson learned: stay on route even when topping out. Being pumped causes mental fatigue. A simple mistake caused by mental fatigue on a short TR as easy as 5.8 can lead to serious injury. Don't take any route for granted. Be more adamant about safety for the climbers when belaying; don't accept any excuse from the climbers when it comes to their safety.

damn!

thanks for the report and best wishes to her full and quick recovery.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook