RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

redsolarearth

Jul 14, 2010, 6:00 PM
Post #1 of 14 (9276 views)
Shortcut

Stanford Grad student free solos then falls to death in Yosemite Valley
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=17543&e=y
Chan, 31, fell 400 feet as she was descending from the north face of Eichorn Peak (also referred to as Eichorn Pinnacle) Friday afternoon, while "free soloing."
seems to cover the details pretty well.

gblauer

Jul 14, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #2 of 14 (9259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redsolarearth] Stanford Grad student free solos then falls to death in Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rest in Peace Christina Chan.

Gmburns2000

Jul 14, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #3 of 14 (9259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redsolarearth] Stanford Grad student free solos then falls to death in Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redsolarearth wrote:
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/...php?id=17543&e=y
Chan, 31, fell 400 feet as she was descending from the north face of Eichorn Peak (also referred to as Eichorn Pinnacle) Friday afternoon, while "free soloing."
seems to cover the details pretty well.

made clicky

and incredibly sad. RIP.

redsolarearth

Jul 14, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #4 of 14 (9251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

apparently she was an experienced soloist and a very strong climber.
http://www.elcapreport.com/content/memory-chris-chan-9-july-2010

dugl33

Jul 14, 2010, 6:37 PM
Post #5 of 14 (9209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Memorial Page...

http://www.facebook.com/...?gid=136210793068504

Frown

Partner rgold

Jul 14, 2010, 6:45 PM
Post #6 of 14 (9195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.supertopo.com/...is-Chris-Chan-killed

http://www.supertopo.com/...-ElCap-Report-7-9-10

Gabel

Jul 15, 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #7 of 14 (8907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rest in peace.

jape

Jul 19, 2010, 8:41 AM
Post #8 of 14 (8280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Terrible.

I don't understand why they weren't short roping. As a former guide, terrain decisions like this are so critical. Especially since I've read it was gusty.

many of us have been in the situation where it was a hassle to get the rope out, or you didn't want to leave a biner or gear. My wife and I met when she bailed, leaving hundreds of dollars of gear, but she descended safely. I always think "is my life worth a 6 dollar carabiner...or taking a few minutes to get the rope out..."

Read about Dale Bard on the Hulk for more on gusting winds. That story has always made me very leery of being exposed when the wind is blowing.

Gabel

Aug 29, 2010, 8:21 AM
Post #9 of 14 (7383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jape] Stanford Grad student free solos then falls to death in Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jape wrote:
I don't understand why they weren't short roping. As a former guide, terrain decisions like this are so critical. Especially since I've read it was gusty.

Because they chose to free solo?

cfnubbler

Aug 30, 2010, 8:13 AM
Post #10 of 14 (7163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jape] Stanford Grad student free solos then falls to death in Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jape wrote:
Terrible.

many of us have been in the situation where it was a hassle to get the rope out, or you didn't want to leave a biner or gear. My wife and I met when she bailed, leaving hundreds of dollars of gear, but she descended safely. I always think "is my life worth a 6 dollar carabiner...or taking a few minutes to get the rope out..."

Read about Dale Bard on the Hulk for more on gusting winds. That story has always made me very leery of being exposed when the wind is blowing.

Perhaps because very, very few recreational climbers have any idea what short roping is? And because a very, very small subset of those that do are able to do it even semi-competently?

Short roping is among the most difficult of guiding skills to master, and the most stressful to apply in the field. The idea that a typical recreational party is safer while attempting it in exposed terrain is a recipe for disaster.

Now why they weren't simply belaying is another question, but I wasn't there, and prefer not to Monday morning quarter back.

dingus

Aug 30, 2010, 8:55 AM
Post #11 of 14 (7107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cfnubbler] Stanford Grad student free solos then falls to death in Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cfnubbler wrote:
jape wrote:
Terrible.

Perhaps because very, very few recreational climbers have any idea what short roping is? And because a very, very small subset of those that do are able to do it even semi-competently?

Short roping is among the most difficult of guiding skills to master, and the most stressful to apply in the field. The idea that a typical recreational party is safer while attempting it in exposed terrain is a recipe for disaster.

Now why they weren't simply belaying is another question, but I wasn't there, and prefer not to Monday morning quarter back.

Or perhaps, just perhaps mind you descending from Eichorn's Pinnacle isn't short roping terrain to begin with?

This isn't like walking down some peak, yo.

DMT

meatbomz

Aug 30, 2010, 9:06 AM
Post #12 of 14 (7081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Stanford Grad student free solos then falls to death in Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
cfnubbler wrote:
jape wrote:
Terrible.

Or perhaps, just perhaps mind you descending from Eichorn's Pinnacle isn't short roping terrain to begin with?

This isn't like walking down some peak, yo.

DMT

I hung out with Chris last September after she got down from her solo of the Shield and kept in touch with her while she lived, worked and climbed in China. What a truly amazing person she was.

jape

Aug 30, 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #13 of 14 (7011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cfnubbler] Stanford Grad student free solos then falls to death in Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cfnubbler wrote:
jape wrote:
Terrible.

Whatever.

Someone who has done the shield is not really a rec. noob. JMO.

I stand by my assertion, I've been in lots of cases where we didn't want to take the time to break the rope out but did anywhoos. And sometimes we didn't, could have turned out fatal...short rope/belay/rap, anything is better than soloing....

I quote from the green yosemite guide..."just because you are a 5.11 climber doesn't mean you can fly."

meatbomz

Aug 30, 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #14 of 14 (6952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jape wrote:
cfnubbler wrote:
jape wrote:
Terrible.

Whatever.

Someone who has done the shield is not really a rec. noob. JMO.

I stand by my assertion, I've been in lots of cases where we didn't want to take the time to break the rope out but did anywhoos. And sometimes we didn't, could have turned out fatal...short rope/belay/rap, anything is better than soloing....

I quote from the green yosemite guide..."just because you are a 5.11 climber doesn't mean you can fly."

I can assure you they probably just had a daypack with them, if that. They were out soloing a climb that was far below her capability. Something happened, a hold broke or something. Who knows, it doesn't matter. Let it go.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook