RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

PJA7

Jul 18, 2010, 4:01 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2477 views)
Shortcut

Finger injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm 21, no previous injuries on this finger (or any finger since like 6 years ago), just started climbing again 2 months ago after not climbing for a while. Mostly bouldering.

First presented with mild pain between thumb side and palm side of left index finger, mostly just when pressure applied. Continued to climb on it (apparently a horrible idea...) for ~1.5 weeks, about 4-5 times in the gym. Only really hurt while climbing the last time I climbed, which was on Friday(2 days ago).

Finger was fine yesterday, maybe some mild swelling, but that might have been imagination, no real pain. Took 2 ibuprofen between 4pm and 8pm, went to bed around 2am.

Woke up some time in the middle of the night and when I extended my index finger it caught when the knuckle closest to my palm was at about 90 degrees, then opened fully. Then I felt extremely nauseated, light headed and started having cold sweats (I often feel nausea rather than severe pain, but it was pretty fucking awful).

Anyway, now I can't bend my index finger even to 90 degrees anymore without feeling sick, and it aches when I extend the finger to straight. I'm planning to go see the sports medicine clinic at UGA ASAP, where hopefully they can refer me to someone if necessary.

Any help with diagnosis/treatment is appeciated! Currently I am just resting the finger and keeping it mildly elevated.

(This post was edited by PJA7 on Jul 18, 2010, 4:01 PM)

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 4:07 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PJA7] Finger injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

PJA7 wrote:
I'm 21, no previous injuries on this finger (or any finger since like 6 years ago), just started climbing again 2 months ago after not climbing for a while. Mostly bouldering.

First presented with mild pain between thumb side and palm side of left index finger, mostly just when pressure applied. Continued to climb on it (apparently a horrible idea...) for ~1.5 weeks, about 4-5 times in the gym. Only really hurt while climbing the last time I climbed, which was on Friday(2 days ago).

Finger was fine yesterday, maybe some mild swelling, but that might have been imagination, no real pain. Took 2 ibuprofen between 4pm and 8pm, went to bed around 2am.

Woke up some time in the middle of the night and when I extended my index finger it caught when the knuckle closest to my palm was at about 90 degrees, then opened fully. Then I felt extremely nauseated, light headed and started having cold sweats (I often feel nausea rather than severe pain, but it was pretty fucking awful).

Anyway, now I can't bend my index finger even to 90 degrees anymore without feeling sick, and it aches when I extend the finger to straight. I'm planning to go see the sports medicine clinic at UGA ASAP, where hopefully they can refer me to someone if necessary.

Any help with diagnosis/treatment is appeciated! Currently I am just resting the finger and keeping it mildly elevated.

That sounds like the most intense finger injury ever. I have some awful ones, and they have never made me nauseous or break out in sweats. Good luck.
If you have insurance, I wouldn't go to the UGA clinic.

PJA7

Jul 18, 2010, 4:16 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Finger injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
That sounds like the most intense finger injury ever. I have some awful ones, and they have never made me nauseous or break out in sweats. Good luck.

Well, I think part of it is that my body just reacts that way to pain. I rarely feel intense pain, I just feel very sick to my stomach.

I have insurance, but since I go to UGA I figured I could just go there first. Is that just going to be a waste of my time?

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2010, 4:35 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PJA7 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Well, I think part of it is that my body just reacts that way to pain. I rarely feel intense pain, I just feel very sick to my stomach.

I have insurance, but since I go to UGA I figured I could just go there first. Is that just going to be a waste of my time?

The visit will be free, but if they do anything they are going to charge you for it and no insurance covers the health center. I would find out if there is any sports medicine people covered by your insurance first. It won't hurt to go there, but it might end up being more expensive.
FWIW, my girlfriend went twice for a back injury. The first time they gave her a script for muscle relaxers and it was free. The second time she got an X Ray and it was 80 dollars.

scottek67

Jul 19, 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PJA7 wrote:
I'm 21

Mostly bouldering.

Continued to climb on it

Only really hurt while climbing the last time I climbed

Finger was fine yesterday

Woke up some time in the middle of the night and jerked off.

Anyway, now I can't bend my index finger

just be patient as the best internet doctors on the planet will soon respond because they always check this site for injured people seeking medical advice for free.

sungam

Jul 19, 2010, 6:18 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Finger injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
PJA7 wrote:
I'm 21

Mostly bouldering.

Continued to climb on it

Only really hurt while climbing the last time I climbed

Finger was fine yesterday

Woke up some time in the middle of the night and jerked off.

Anyway, now I can't bend my index finger

just be patient as the best internet doctors on the planet will soon respond because they always check this site for injured people seeking medical advice for free.
Actually two fantastic ones do.

onceahardman

Jul 19, 2010, 9:44 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If it was "fine", why did you take ibuprofen?

When you say, "no real pain", what does that mean? Does it mean "no pain", or does it mean, "it didn't make me want to puke"?

People have all different reactions to pain. Some get nausea, some have panic attacks, some withdraw, some attack, some even respond rationally. So let's just call it "pain", and not dwell on your wanting to puke. It really doesn't matter that much.

If I was in your shoes, I'd ask to get a referral to a certified hand therapist, preferably one with experience treating athletes.

Failing that, my clinical instinct would be to do lots of range of motion on it, as long as that doesn't make it worse. NO STRETCHING. Move on to progressive resistance exercise as soon as you can, again, as long as you can do so without making it worse.

(If you don't know the difference between "stretching", and "range of motion exercise", then you need to do some due diligence of your own.)

PJA7

Jul 20, 2010, 1:14 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Finger injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:

If it was "fine", why did you take ibuprofen?

Ibuprofen was for some other soreness, but I wasn't sure if it would be relevant so I mentioned it.

In reply to:
When you say, "no real pain", what does that mean? Does it mean "no pain", or does it mean, "it didn't make me want to puke"?

When I say "no real pain" I mean a dull ache at worst.

In reply to:
People have all different reactions to pain. Some get nausea, some have panic attacks, some withdraw, some attack, some even respond rationally. So let's just call it "pain", and not dwell on your wanting to puke. It really doesn't matter that much.

If I was in your shoes, I'd ask to get a referral to a certified hand therapist, preferably one with experience treating athletes.

Failing that, my clinical instinct would be to do lots of range of motion on it, as long as that doesn't make it worse. NO STRETCHING. Move on to progressive resistance exercise as soon as you can, again, as long as you can do so without making it worse.

(If you don't know the difference between "stretching", and "range of motion exercise", then you need to do some due diligence of your own.)

Thanks. I went to see a sports medicine doctor today who prescribed 500mg Naproxen every 12 hours as needed. I've looked into the ROM exercises and can do them without pain, though some of them are still uncomfortable.

darkgift06

Jul 28, 2010, 4:55 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbed a mega hard crimp route last night.... my tendons are yelling at me as I type this.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook