Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

charliesmall

Feb 1, 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #1 of 14 (9412 views)
Shortcut

Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California?  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi
I love America and I love climbing so before I start university later this year I want to spend a few weeks on a road trip around California. My boyfriend really wants to climb Half Dome and then we'll mostly be wanting to boulder.
Any advice on climbing places not to be missed? We'll be visiting in August/ September time if his makes a difference.
Any advice on places to stay or any other useful advice will be much appreciated.
Also if any local are keen on meeting up at any destinations and showing us cool problems drop me a line

i_h8_choss

Feb 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #2 of 14 (9403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charliesmall] Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charliesmall wrote:
Hi
I love America and I love climbing so before I start university later this year I want to spend a few weeks on a road trip around California. My boyfriend really wants to climb Half Dome and then we'll mostly be wanting to boulder.
Any advice on climbing places not to be missed? We'll be visiting in August/ September time if his makes a difference.
Any advice on places to stay or any other useful advice will be much appreciated.
Also if any local are keen on meeting up at any destinations and showing us cool problems drop me a line

In the Valley: Cathedral, Sentinel, and Curry boulders are all good and will give you some cooler temps. It's usually pretty hot in the Valley in Aug./Sept. Will you be climbing Snake Dike on HD?
Tuolumne bouldering is great that time of year! Also some really great routes up there.
I'll be in California this summer too. It's my home when I'm not in Poland. I could show you guys around the Valley/Tuolumne/ or Sequoia/Kings(I live near here).
Just give me a few weeks notice.
You might also want to check out the Tahoe area for bouldering.
Most of the good climbing temps. are in the High Sierras during Aug/Sept. It can get quite hot in JTree/Southern California/ and Bishop, although Bishop is fantastic and is an easy drive if you're in Tuolumne.
Will you be camping? You will want to reserve a spot now if you want to camp in Yosemite.
PM me if you have more questions.

clemsonscooby

Feb 1, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #3 of 14 (9381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In SoCal, Tahquitz and Suicide are the places to be in the summer. Yosemite as already stated is another great place. Lots of history and great granite at both places.

charliesmall

Feb 1, 2010, 2:18 PM
Post #4 of 14 (9380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info, we're going to be doing a route up the face of half dome. Not sure of the name though.
I'll be in touch again nearer the time and we can meet up

desertwanderer81

Feb 2, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #5 of 14 (9348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charliesmall] Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seek elevation in the summer, and lower lands/south in the winter ;)

slavetogravity

Feb 2, 2010, 7:08 PM
Post #6 of 14 (9338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

charliesmall wrote:
Hi

What ever you do, don't employ the ol' English climbing schedule were you only rest on days when the weather is raining or otherwise crap. Do this in California in the summer and you will die, or at the very least you'll destroy your self physically to the point that you won't be able to climb.

Buy or rent a car. This is America, were even the homeless have cars. Petrol is so cheap you'd be a fool not to have a car to get around.

charliesmall

Feb 3, 2010, 8:30 AM
Post #7 of 14 (9314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha ha, good advice about taking rest days! We were planning on hiring a car, but were also considering getting a small RV, would we save much money on accommodation by combining some where to sleep with our transport?

illusiondweller

Jul 19, 2010, 8:25 AM
Post #8 of 14 (8775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A small RV sounds like a plan. We have KOA campgrounds all over the state/nation with personal facilities and hook-ups for RV's. A KOA handbook is available with listings/locations. The rates are very cheap!

If you are down south in San Diego you HAVE to visit Mt. Woodson for its nationally renown bouldering where its cracks are its signature! Leave me an email and ill do my best to be your guide, for finding someone familiar with the mountain is definitely a plus.

Gary

Partner rgold

Jul 19, 2010, 7:46 PM
Post #9 of 14 (8729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Britain is the land of the small (but oh so challenging) crag that never dries out. California is the land of the giant granite precipice that never gets wet. You gotta be nuts to concentrate on bouldering when you visit.

sspssp

Jul 19, 2010, 9:44 PM
Post #10 of 14 (8696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you want to hike up Half Dome, climb up the Snake Dike route, or climb the Northwest Face?

If you have the skills and inclination to climb the face, then I agree with an earlier post, there is a lot of multi-pitch climbing you might think about instead of bouldering.

If you are looking for trad/multi-pitch suggestions, give a little more inclination about how hard of stuff you are looking for...

For August/Sept you will probably want to stay in Tuolumne and other high elevation areas.

zeke_sf

Jul 19, 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #11 of 14 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
Britain is the land of the small (but oh so challenging) crag that never dries out. California is the land of the giant granite precipice that never gets wet. You gotta be nuts to concentrate on bouldering when you visit.

There's plenty of routes that get wet in CA. Not really in summer though. I'd have to agree on the bouldering dig, but I am biased (i.e. suck at bouldering). Aren't all the really good bouldering spots out of season in CA that time of year anyway?

Partner rgold

Jul 19, 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #12 of 14 (8673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The wetness comments are jokes. And I'm not heaping scorn on bouldering. It's just that if you come to California from a land of little rocks and then mostly boulder, you are squandering opportunities you can't replicate at home.

zeke_sf

Jul 19, 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #13 of 14 (8666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Any advice for a Brit making a road trip around California? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
The wetness comments are jokes. And I'm not heaping scorn on bouldering. It's just that if you come to California from a land of little rocks and then mostly boulder, you are squandering opportunities you can't replicate at home.

Oh, joke missed. I knew you know better though Wink. Couldn't agree more on the CA/bouldering comments.

majid_sabet

Jul 19, 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #14 of 14 (8655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you like Californian hot ladies then stop in Barstow. Nice weather, nice ladies and tons and lots of sun.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook