Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
Quick & Simple Climbing Tests for Upcoming Event?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

ClimbUpForKids

Jul 20, 2010, 3:09 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Quick & Simple Climbing Tests for Upcoming Event?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Everyone,

I could use your help. I'm a volunteer for The American Foundation for Children with AIDS, which has a set climbing-related fundraising events (Climb Up So Kids Can Grow Up). As a charity volunteer, I'm only moderately familiar with rock climbing as a whole.

I've been invited to an upcoming outdoor industry event where I have 1/2 hour to make a presentation and use an indoor rock wall (if desired). The event is busy and traditional presentations haven't worked in the past, so we're going with a quick mini comp for 3-5 show attendees with the simple goal of generating awareness.

I was thinking that possible components of the comp could include: Climbing Skills, Climbing Trivia and Climbing Speed (climb the same route on the wall). Climbing Trivia and a Speed Climb is pretty standard, but:

Are there any climbing skills that can be tested fairly quickly & easily? If so, I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance for your help

Bill

johnwesely

Jul 20, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbUpForKids] Quick & Simple Climbing Tests for Upcoming Event? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You might have more luck with a traditional climbing competition format where you see who can climb the hardest route. I imagine the wall you have access to will be a short bouldering wall. Speed climbing on that wouldn't be terribly interesting to watch. More details about the event would probably help.

shoo

Jul 20, 2010, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbUpForKids] Quick & Simple Climbing Tests for Upcoming Event? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this the Outdoor Retailer show? If so, you should contact vegastradguy. He will be there and may be able to help you out.

ClimbUpForKids

Jul 20, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Quick & Simple Climbing Tests for Upcoming Event? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John,

Thanks for your feedback; I'm sure that you're right about the bouldering wall.

The event is an outdoor retailers convention, so it is not exclusive to climbers. Past events suggest that it would be a miracle to grab the attention of busy event attendees, but I need to try.

Normally, I'd agree that a traditional climbing comp may be more interesting, but I only have 1/2 hour; so I think short & fast tests of skill & knowledge may be our best shot.

The big questions are:

• Are there any short & fast tests of climbing skill and knowledge?

• If so, what are they?

johnwesely

Jul 20, 2010, 5:26 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thinking about it some more, the perfect thing for you might be a dyno competition. That is probably the most likely thing to draw non climber attention as well as being quick. I don't think climbing trivia would be terribly interesting to watch.

ClimbUpForKids

Jul 20, 2010, 5:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Quick & Simple Climbing Tests for Upcoming Event? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Shoo,

I will definitely do that.

Bill

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook