Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
General Tahoe Beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nicholsandrew

Jul 23, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2093 views)
Shortcut

General Tahoe Beta  (North_America: United_States: California: Lake_Tahoe)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry if this is a repeated post, but I am surprised how much difficulty I am having finding information. Is there any one shop in the Tahoe area to check in for cragging/aspect beta? We are going to the area for a 2 week trip, mostly to crag, sport and trad from 5.6 - 5.12.

For example, I am having the hardest time finding beta on smaller crags such as True value and Luthor rock in regards to their aspects.

We would be happy to contribute to the local economy by buying supplies and a guide book or two if anyone could please help us out.

Thanks, Andrew.

irregularpanda

Jul 23, 2010, 7:27 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nicholsandrew] General Tahoe Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nicholsandrew wrote:
mostly to crag, sport and trad from 5.6 - 5.12.

For example, I am having the hardest time finding beta on smaller crags such as True value and Luthor rock in regards to their aspects.

We would be happy to contribute to the local economy by buying supplies and a guide book or two if anyone could please help us out.

5.6 to 5.12, that's a broad range. It would help if you specified what exactly you want to do. If this is truly your range, you won't find much above 5.11 unless you come to donner summit. If your upper limit is more in the 5.10 to 5.11 range, you'll be able to climb everywhere.

Luther rock faces west, as does luther spires. Afternoon heat is definitely a bumer there, depending on what you can handle.

Have you tried buying a guide book yet? That will be the best way to find this info, considering that this http://www.supertopo.com/.../southlaketahoe.html guidebook is loaded with an absurd amount of beta.

Also, were you planning on climbing at south lake or north lake during your 2 week stay....or both?

Also, it seems to me like you are, shall we say concerned, with the aspect of the climbing. Why? Go to lovers leap or donner summit if you want to be able to chase shade all day. You'll move around a bunch, but it'll be possible.

If you want to climb at other places that aren't included in the above book, then you'll want this book: http://www.amazon.com/...rville/dp/157540088X

caughtinside

Jul 23, 2010, 7:51 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nicholsandrew] General Tahoe Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Luther Rock: faces west, good morning shade
Luther Spires: west/south? skip it, it sucks
True Value: Never been
Lover's Leap: Faces North. Generally good summer temps
Sugarloaf: Faces South. Too hot to climb in summer
Phantom Spires: On south aspect of hill, but they are spires so you can chase shade around them I guess. I think it's too hot in summer, but others go.
Mayhem Cove: faces East, good PM shade (an ok sport climbing linkup with Luther rock if you don't mind the drive.)
Wright's Lake: Faces West
Eagle Lake Cliff: Faces Northy? Morning Shade.
Donner summit, Black Wall: faces east
Donner summit, Snowshed: Faces north
Donner summit, star walls, face east

irregularpanda

Jul 23, 2010, 8:26 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] General Tahoe Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Phantom Spires: On south aspect of hill, but they are spires so you can chase shade around them I guess. I think it's too hot in summer, but others go.

On windy days the heat is tolerable. Often windy there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook