Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Breast enhancement surgery - anyone had it?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

leahmeryl

Dec 16, 2002, 5:58 PM
Post #1 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Breast enhancement surgery - anyone had it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I read Katydid's post about sizing down...
But what I'm thinking about is getting implants. I know, I know, plenty of people think down about them. I'm planning to go from a B to a firm C. I realize that I won't be able to climb for a few weeks - and that's the main reason I'm putting it off. But i wonder two things - will they "get in the way" and will I catch too much flack from the other girls at the rock wall (I climb and boulder in door mostly since I live in Jersey).

Has anyone done this and what do you think? (By the way, I'm 26 and not planning to have kids for at least 5 years). I'm also interested if anyone who works in a professional environment got implants and found they were treated differently at work?

Thanks!!!
Leah

[ This Message was edited by: leahmeryl on 2003-01-20 14:42 ]

mwbtle

Dec 16, 2002, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Breast enhancement surgery - anyone had it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They may get in your way. I'm a C naturally, and I find that occasionally mine get in my way when climbing. Only when I really need to hug the rock, but they are still in the way. But I'm not saying you shouldn't. If you want to, go for it, they aren't that much of a problem. Bigger than C though I think would cause issues.

tradclimber2

Dec 17, 2002, 7:22 AM
Post #3 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Below is a link to some info that may prove interesting to those of you considering this surgery. A plastic surgeon (very good one, in fact) friend of mine knows the doctor who developed this procedure and has researched the procedure and it really does work as an alternative to the surgery, especially in younger candidates. The procedure is FDA approved. I know it looks hokey, but don't discount it too quickly without doing some research. This really is not a joke.............go to www.brava.com
Ben

katydid

Dec 17, 2002, 11:37 AM
Post #4 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While obviously not even *considering* implants, I can tell you that if you work in a male-dominated environment (e.g. computers), you can expect to have a lot of people talking to your chest.

Kate

rockwomyn

Dec 17, 2002, 9:36 PM
Post #5 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a used-to-be large breasted gal and as crappy as it may be that men seem to be drawn to them....i just want to say get used to saying things like...

"No need to talk to my breasts, they are deaf"
and
"I also have a nice set of eyes and a brain, too"

I must say that i am so glad they are no longer the focal point on my body.
~eryn
"vice-prez of the itty-bitty-titty-committee"
(next to nikegirl cuz she is the prez)

Edit: God my spelling sucks!
[ This Message was edited by: rockwomyn on 2002-12-17 13:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rockwomyn on 2002-12-17 13:38 ]

leahmeryl

Dec 17, 2002, 9:40 PM
Post #6 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess no one has had a good experience with these things?

katydid

Dec 18, 2002, 10:43 AM
Post #7 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be more willing to bet that there just isn't anyone here who's had the procedure.....

k.

cedk

Dec 19, 2002, 5:05 PM
Post #8 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Strong climber who had it done. Bobbi Benesman.

I don't know whether it would hurt your climbing but I don't see how it could help. You're beautiful the way you are. If he doesn't think so ditch him and spend your new free time climbing.

leahmeryl

Dec 19, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #9 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not really sure how to respond to that one... My interest in enhancement has nothing to do with a man. I was a fat kid and now I'm skinnier. My boobs used to be big and now they're not. I work really hard to make my body look good. Exercise has done wonders for my arms, my tummy, my ass, my legs. But no matter what I do I can't exercise my way into perky ones.

It's the one part of my body that I don't feel good about. So, unless it will adversely effect my ability to participate in activities I enjoy, I see no reason not to do it.

[ This Message was edited by: leahmeryl on 2003-01-20 14:43 ]

cedk

Dec 19, 2002, 9:19 PM
Post #10 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry that last sentence was ment mostly as a joke. The sentence before that was not but if it'll make you feel better about yourself you should go ahead and do it. The dirtbag in me though still says it's gonna cost you several grand and you could buy a lot of gear with that money.

I'm a man and really have no business here but just thought I should point out Bensman since no one else had. She's who you really need to talk to but as you can see from this article it's not something she seems to talk about much.
http://www.sportiva.com/via/via0201/viaprofiles.html

rosemom3

Dec 21, 2002, 3:40 PM
Post #11 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi - Thought you might like to hear from someone who has them. I got implants a year and a half ago after thinking about it for eighteen years. I'm 39 now. The final straw for me was that I finally let go of what everyone else thought and looked in the mirror one day and said I want this for me. Now to qualify that. I was a beautiful perky A cup all of my life. Very pretty, very small breasts. I then had a child who I breast fed for 15 months, from her I developed stretch marks mostly on my left breast which she favored and which produced more milk (ie I was a lopsided D cup/ C cup). A month after I stopped breastfeeding her I got pregnant with twins, who I breastfed for 27 months. They put me at least at D cup for most of that time. After they stopped breast feeding, I went back down to "normal" which was now incredibly saggy - we're talking National Geographic Cover Girl. So my desire to be able to easily buy bras and swimsuits then turned into a self image thing in a different way.
I did have to argue with the doc about size - he wanted to make me proportional (I'm 5'11 and weight 150). So I took in a Garnet Hill catalogue with the bra page in hand and very firmly told him I just want to be able to buy bras and not sag. (My left breast was then hanging 1 and 1/2 inches lower than the right. I am now a large B cup and they are not hanging. I am very pleased with how they look. And yes a lot of guys do look but all I have to do is start talking and the content outdoes the package!
Just a note - I used to be a La Leache League Leader and you will most probably lose the ability to breastfeed at least in part if not completely from the procedure.
Hope this helps!
Tracy

leahmeryl

Dec 23, 2002, 2:21 PM
Post #12 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like you've run the gamut in sizes! Any effect on your climbing? Also, if it's not too personal, what effect did it have on the stretch marks? Are they still as visible? THANKS!

granite_grrl

Dec 24, 2002, 7:55 PM
Post #13 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have brests that are a smaller D cup. They're okay, they fill out a dress nicely, but when ever I go climbing or biking I like to just forget about them. Just strap them in a sports bra, get a bit of the uni-boob thing, and just ignore that they exsist. Sometmes I'd like to have smaller tits, but they have never really gotten in the way (they arn't that big). My only problem was finding decent sport bras, but I found some that I like and I'm stocked up for now.

My breasts once saved me on a bouldering problem, doing a little chimney, I get near the top and I lose my feet. So what do I do but puff out my chest and let my breasts catch me (well hold me in place really). Kinda embaressing, but mostly funny.

leggyblonde

Dec 25, 2002, 11:27 PM
Post #14 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

time to hear from someone that had this done...did it wouldn't ever change it, It will not get in your way, unless it is mental. physically, not even an issue. Go for it, enjoy what you did, heal and then get back to climbing

LB

rosemom3

Dec 29, 2002, 3:09 AM
Post #15 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leah - The stretch marks got filled in. They look great. Had them done before I started climbing. Only occasionally do they seem in the way. Climbed topless once with a girlfriend just for the fun of it was a little more wary about scratching that time. Got a great tan though!

leahmeryl

Dec 29, 2002, 10:49 PM
Post #16 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I know what I'm getting myself for my birthday...

lilred

Jan 20, 2003, 4:46 AM
Post #17 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!

Why mess with the bod you were born with??!!!

LOVE IT!!!!!

Don't slice it and dice it!!!!!

Back when i was in college i wanted to under-go breast augmentation so i could have a "desireable" chest. I thought that the only way i could be sexy was if i had big hooters...i came so close i even went and had two consultations with the surgon and filled out the paperwork. All i had to do was sign the little "X"...

but

THANK GODDESS I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!!

why go by the American media standard of what is sexy??!!! THROW YOUR TV AND BEAUTY MAGS OUT THE WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Look within, and ask yourself if you really want a "doctor" to slice you open with a knife and then stuff foreign objects into your body just to look "DESIREABLE"....

To hell with the media standard of what is sexy...read a good book to open your mind
J. Krishnamurti is one of my faves...why would you want that kind of attention anyway? ITS JUST SKIN!!!!!!!! LOVE YOURSELF THE WAY YOU ARE!!

just my 2cents

otter

Jan 20, 2003, 8:20 AM
Post #18 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i second that! and please don't let any "lovedones" pressure you into it either. They should love you for you just as you should. Start thinking of yourself as sexy...the way you are!

[ This Message was edited by: otter on 2003-01-20 00:20 ]

chi_girl

Jan 20, 2003, 4:59 PM
Post #19 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I third that! Don't do it! I am an all natural woman and this is just my opinion- but I too believe that you shouldn't mess with your body in unnatural ways. What happens when they start leaking or any other problems? Have you ever watched those MTV shows on plastic surgery? I caught one once and it was disgusting! Yuck! I love my breasts (so does my boy)! I am a B-cup and they are okay, but not perfect. Nobody is perfect. But I accept them.

leahmeryl

Jan 21, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #20 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I just find it strange that so many people (both in the forum and through PMs) doubt that a woman would get implants on her own volition - because SHE wanted them and not because of some guy. All I can say to ask yourself (especially you A cups out there) how good it feels to wear a tiny tanktop on a hot summer day without a bra underneath? Or to sunbath topless? I do those things now but never feel quite as comfortable as I know I would post op.
That's what it's about for me - not some guy or some picture in a magazine or television.

cedk

Jan 21, 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #21 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back as promised.

Leah you should definately do whatever makes you happy. I wonder what the advice would have been if you'd said you were getting braces?

Daisyfay. I know from your other posts that you're very cool but shame on you for insinuating that only men are cosmetic surgeons.

estherator

Jan 22, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #22 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leah, consider this-
Chronic shoulder problems are amazingly common in women with breast implants. If that won't affect your climbing, I don't know what will. Pain, frozen or ginding joint capsules...Are you willing to risk it?
Esther

mcmlxxxiii

Jan 22, 2003, 1:42 AM
Post #23 of 63 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm nineteen and rather petite, fully aware of what the world of media expects of me. Those leggy runway models and the Victoria's Secret catalogue chicks...never fail to make me question my appearance. But i like my body and as a barely A-cup, still would never succumb to sillycone. I can lead an active life and never have to think about my breasts in bonded sports bras. how wonderful is that?

The only real complaint i've got is that Victoria's Secret is eliminating my size, 32A from most of their product lines because it isn't profitable! what the hell. yeah i realize the strange phenomenon that girls these days are just naturally more bustier...but as bras are supposed to support, where's my support damnit?!? not profitable...to hell with you Vicky!

Back on topic: if its not your breasts, its your hips, thighs, height, wrinkles, nose, etc etc. If you can't rationalize liposuction, tummy tucks, botox, michael jackson's nose, or the idea of knocking off a couple inches off your legs via hacksaw and then putting yourself in braces with screws bolted into your bones...ouch. all this "cosmetic" stuff? not light and not pain free. is any of that worth it?

lilred

Jan 22, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #24 of 63 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For your reading pleasure:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/755103.stm

aimeerose

Jan 23, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #25 of 63 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I used to be a C cup in high school, when I was on the pill. Now I'm free of synthetic hormones and have dropped to about 10% body fat. With the fat went my boobs and now I'm an A cup. I was feeling self concious about it for a while, but I've started developing my pecs and now I'm proud of the line of definition down my chest and could care less about my breasts. I, too, see implants as extra weight. If you're not planning on climbing 5.12 or more, go for it. Personally, I'm trying to break 5.13 and V10, so I wouldn't do it at this point in my life.

If you do decide to do it though, I'd go to Vegas. That's what Bobbi Bensman did. She can still nurse, BTW. You could even email her and ask her where she got it done. She'd probably reply. Or catch up with her at the PBC this April. She talks about her implants openly. Good luck.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook